BUG Community

Welcome! Log In

Forums Recent Posts

Subscribe to Recent Posts 12,498 posts found

Oct 8, 2007 8:16pm
jtoeman 57 posts

Topic: BUGbase / Rendering online

Hey there - just wanted to let you know www.buglabs.net has been updated to show renderings of the base and modules. It's still "just a rendering" but this is getting close to real!

Already on Engadget and Gizmodo too!
Oct 8, 2007 6:35pm
matt.gauger 15 posts

Topic: BUG SDK / 'Find BUG Services' returns Error (Linux)

aroman
Hi Matt,

The least intrusive method I've found to resolve the gcj issue is to modify your PATH variable and place sun's java<somestuff>/bin directory first on your path.

Make sure this works by checking the output of "java -version" or "which java".

Regards,
Angel

java 1.6 is getting exported as the first entry in my path variable in my .bashrc so it should be okay. java -version, "which java" "whereis java" etc all show up fine.

Since my Linux machine has Europa sitting in a tarball waiting to go (not installed by Ubuntu's apt-get/synaptic tools) and my own install of java 1.6, I removed GCJ and the Ubuntu-installed Eclipse earlier, but I haven't had the time to set it up as I'm off to night class. I'll check back in later tonight w/ whether it worked or not.

Thanks aroman & kengilmer for the help,

- Matt
Oct 8, 2007 6:21pm
matt.gauger 15 posts

Topic: Official Updates / Application Cook Off

This is more of a request for a feature in the next SDK, but it’s something to do with my current work towards an entry for the Application Cook-off, so I thought I’d post it here.

It’s kind of pointless that the Hello World example on the wiki only shows up in ‘bundles’ on the console – it never writes to the "Hello World" line to stdout with System.out.println();
A lot of the example apps also have "Starting up" and "Shutting down" messages for their bundles going to System.out, but as far as I can tell, that isn’t writing to the console, or the PDE error log. That information pretty much goes no where.

Can we get a working System.out for the next SDK? It’d help out a lot with my development, strange as such a simple thing may sound. (Status bar is a little tiny to throw much information at, and I could be writing to the LCD but that’s a lot more code than simply System.out)

Thanks in advance guys! :D

Oct 8, 2007 6:15pm
aroman 21 posts

Hi Matt,

The least intrusive method I’ve found to resolve the gcj issue is to modify your PATH variable and place sun’s java<somestuff>/bin directory first on your path.

Make sure this works by checking the output of "java -version" or "which java".

Regards,
Angel

Oct 8, 2007 6:06pm
aroman 21 posts

Hi Matt,

I am glad FlickrUppr is useful to you. Initially the application logic was part of the service tracker. However, I felt that it should be extracted into a separate class for the following reason: the job of the service tracker is to track services, leaving the application logic might make this less obvious and harder to understand.

Sometimes it’s a good idea to separate responsibilities (http://www.objectmentor.com/resources/articles/.... This way if there’s a need for us to track additional services for other purposes the Application code will not be affected. If the application needs to change for whatever reason the service tracker remains intact.

As to whether it makes sense to put the application code in filckruppr.ui packages, probably not ;).

These are all great questions. I’m glad flickruppr is serving it’s purpose as an "educational" example.

Regards,
Angel

Oct 8, 2007 5:10pm
matt.gauger 15 posts

kengilmer
Matt,

Yes, GCJ in Ubuntu is a problem. We basically rip it out of our dev environments just to be safe. This error looks to be another Java configuration issue. Let me think about this and get back to you.

Whats' the best way to rip it out? I can't remove it with apt-get because it tries to take Eclipse with it, but I have set Eclipse to only see 1.6, and linked 1.6 over the other java bin dirs, so no matter what PATH you're using, it should end up finding 1.6

Better yet, now that I think about it, are you guys using any other distros than Ubuntu at Bug Labs, preferrably one whose package manager has a stub package for Java 1.6 (or at least doesn't try to give you GCJ) and supports Eclipse Europa 3.3?

I might look at installing Gentoo or one of the source-based distros with lots of packages to choose from if they offer those.
Oct 8, 2007 5:03pm
rbpasker 22 posts

Topic: Applications / FlickrUppr hanging for me on Mac OSX

excellent—i’m happy to alpha test a new drop whenever its ready!

Oct 8, 2007 5:03pm
Medium mcholerton 54 posts

Topic: Way Off Topic / We Want Your Quips!

Real Eyes, Realize, Real Lies

Oct 8, 2007 4:58pm
Medium mcholerton 54 posts

Topic: Way Off Topic / We Want Your Quips!

Alright Heather! You came over to my desk to ask where my quips are….so here they are. My first 12, at least – music, movies and useless trivia. I’ll send an equally useless prize to the first person to email me with the movie or band that originally supplied the content.

1). The first product to have a bar code was Wrigleys gum!

2.) Its got a wonderful defense mechanism—you don’t dare kill it.

3.) Why do my eyes hurt? You’ve never used them before.

4.) My, my, my, I’m so happy, I’m gonna join the band. We are gonna dance and sing in celebration, We are in the promised land

5.) I’ve heard no piece of square dry paper can be folded more than 7 times in half!

6.) A group of geese on the ground is a gaggle, a group of geese in the air is a skein!

7.) Let’s close our eyes and walk across the sky

8.) What are you waiting for? You’re faster than this. Don’t think you are . . . know you are.

9.) They call Los Angeles the city of the angels. I didn’t find it to be that exactly.

10.) Hummingbirds can weigh less than a penny!!

11.) What is real who is who and where they’ve been and what they plan on taking from me in the end.

12.) I can’t lie to you about your chances, but you do have my sympathies.

Oct 8, 2007 4:43pm
akravets 25 posts

Topic: Applications / FlickrUppr hanging for me on Mac OSX

Bob,

We are almost finished with the conversion to AWT, thanks for your contribution.

Alex Kravets, Bug Labs