Welcome! Log In

Forums Recent Posts

Subscribe to Recent Posts 12,455 posts found

Oct 16, 2007 5:44pm
Medium finsprings 268 posts

Topic: BUG SDK / IMenuProvider.registerMenu

To be clear, if I do:

menu.registerMenu("foo", new SimpleMenuNode("bar"));

then I see a top-level menu item called "bar", and "foo" is ignored, whereas I would have expected to get a top-level entry called "foo" with a sub-entry under it called "bar".
Oct 16, 2007 5:36pm
yellowbkpk 6 posts

Topic: BUG SDK / SDK installation

kengilmer
Yes, PDE is a feature that should be available via the update manager. Or you can download "Eclipse Classic" from Eclipse.org. With version 3.3 they did away with PDE being installed by default.

I've looked through the list of available items in Eclipse's update manager and I don't see anything that looks like PDE. I'll try again tonight with Eclipse Classic.
Oct 16, 2007 5:29pm
Medium finsprings 268 posts

So which of the two "test"s is it using in the top-level menu? It seems odd to have both if it’s only going to use one. I would read that line as creating a top-level menu called test from the path string, with a sub-item under it called test. I think it just creates a single top-level item called test though.

Oct 16, 2007 5:16pm
Medium kgilmer 215 posts

Dave,

Yes it should. The Menu Extender app on BUGnet uses this line to create a menu item:

menu.registerMenu("test", new SimpleMenuNode("test"));
Oct 16, 2007 4:59pm
Medium kgilmer 215 posts

Topic: Suggestion Box / Suggestions Wanted!

Bob,

Interesting, thanks for the heads up. So this limitation is only Jython -> Java? Is this a limitation of the JVM or particular to Jython?

Oct 16, 2007 4:57pm
Medium kgilmer 215 posts

Topic: BUG SDK / XML parsing

Dave,

I actually had the same problem yesterday with a different issue. I’ll have to take a look at the stream handing code.

Oct 16, 2007 4:54pm
Medium kgilmer 215 posts

Topic: BUG SDK / SDK installation

Yes, PDE is a feature that should be available via the update manager. Or you can download "Eclipse Classic" from Eclipse.org. With version 3.3 they did away with PDE being installed by default.

Oct 16, 2007 2:02pm
rbpasker 22 posts

the problem with Jython is that when calling real java objects from Jython, is that they pythony data objects have to be marshaled into java objects, and vice versa. you can’t simply pass the objects back and forth between java and jython by reference. for some apps that may not make much of a difference, but its a good thing to keep in mind.

Oct 16, 2007 1:11pm
Medium bballantine 56 posts

Hey Guys,

This is my first post on the Bug Beta forums (I'm shy, I guess), but I'm the lead web developer here at Bug and responsible for pretty much everything web related.

I'm a big fan of scripting languages, especially ruby and python (buglabs.net is ror), so the ideas on this thread are exciting. I also happen to be smack in the middle of getting python to run on the BUG.

There are a number of different ways to do this, but the approach I've taken is to use Jython. This way apps written in python can work within OSGi just like the BUG apps written in Java. I'm not sure about cpu usage (currently I'm using the embedded approach, which is probably slower than pure java or compiled jython), but storage-wise, Jython is just over 1MB.

In a few days I'll have an example app on BUGnet as well as a tutorial on the wiki. If any of you want more technical details before the app and tutorial are ready, post to this topic and I'll respond. Lastly, I think getting Jython all figured out should open the door on getting ruby via JRuby working on the BUG.

As for functional programming languages? Although not purely functional, python does implement a few very useful functional paradigms, such as binding functions to variables and passing functions as parameters. This kind of thing is VERY handy once you get used to using it.
Oct 16, 2007 1:11pm
robertp 4 posts

rbpasker
i love functional programming. very expressive.

I was kidding ;)

also, embedded systems are as memory and address space-constrained as they used to be. moore's law has finally caught up with the cycles and storage necessary to drive complex embedded applications, so nickel and dime-ing over a meg here or there is not a big deal when a 1Gig SD card can be had for $20. that moore's law has finally caught up is what makes the bug itself even possible.

I agree with that for the most part, although when shipping an embedded Linux system with a 2G CF card (a recent activity), I still had to worry about memory (RAM). The SD of which you speak is, I believe, used for storage rather than RAM? On that product we run several applications concurrently, one of them in a JVM. RAM is tight, and not nearly as cheap as CF/SD/etc. So yeah, I'll nickel and dime there.

Cheers,

R