BUG Community

Welcome! Log In

Forums Recent Posts

Subscribe to Recent Posts 12,449 posts found

Oct 20, 2007 12:14am
Medium finsprings 268 posts

Topic: BUGnet / BUGnet Thoughts?

Having some sort of revision control system that could cope with merges etc, would definitely be useful. I’m already using my own SVN server to track my changes to the apps I’ve worked on.

I have enough spare bandwidth that I could probably open that up if other folks wanted to use it for BUG stuff, but having it built in to BUGnet would be cleaner. I presume Eclipse has SVN integration (I use it with Perforce at work; love Perforce BTW but it’s not free). If it does, then I wonder if we couldn’t just get it integrated in that way; post the SVN URL etc and use the same accounts we already have on BUGnet as the SVN accounts. Then in Eclipse you can do the right-click/Team/... stuff to get it in and out of source control.

Collaboration between users would get interesting. I guess you could give people the ability to create their own subprojects in the repository and if they want to collaborate they just tell the other parties the name of that subproject.

Oct 19, 2007 5:31pm
Medium bballantine 56 posts

koolatron,

Thanks for your feedback. I think you’re right on in saying that BUGnet could do a lot more to foster collaboration. One thing that is planned for the next BUGnet release, in about 2 weeks, is a private flag on BUG applications. So, you could have an incomplete project on BUGnet marked as private so other users won’t see it.

Perhaps instead we implement a "development" flag, like you suggest, that hides the application from list pages, but still provides an url. So you could work on something, mark it as "dev" and then share the url with finsprings. I’ll talk to the rest of the team about the possibility of doing something like this for the next release.

In the long-term, I think some sort of SVN repo integrated w/ the SDK and BUGnet would be great, and we’ve batted this idea around a few times. Your suggestion definitely adds weight to the importance in finding a working solution.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Oct 19, 2007 4:33pm
Medium psemme 8 posts

Topic: BUGmodules / Question....Maybe dumb or answered somewhere already...

We are planning on releasing the micro-nuclear reactor. That puppy should produce the BTUs.

Oct 19, 2007 4:04pm
koolatron 52 posts

Here are my thoughts:

I like the way BUGnet integrates into Eclipse. It makes fetching and installing apps a breeze, and I will undoubtedly continue to use it after receiving real hardware due to the level of integration.

BUGnet, as it stands, is great for sharing complete applications. I can finish a project, upload it, and let everyone else who is interested in my work snag a copy to try for themselves. I like that.

What it doesn't seem so great for, however, is collaboration. If I, and say, finsprings, decided to go into a coding frenzy this weekend on an application, we don't have an easy way to work concurrently and merge our changes short of setting up our own SVN repository and uploading to BUGnet only after we've reached a stopping point. I don't like that :)

How about being able to tag an app as a "development" version that sends it to SVN instead of a JAR? Is it possible to integrate Eclipse's own built-in SVN support into BUGnet?
Oct 19, 2007 3:51pm
koolatron 52 posts

Topic: BUG SDK / Documentation for PhoneME Basis and Personal Profile

Hi all,

So, I'm not sure how many of you guys are delving deeply into the guts of the Java distribution that we're working with on the BUG.. but I spent a good chunk of time today trying to figure out why the BufferedImage class we have access to doesn't have a public constructor.

Well, it turns out that not only is PhoneME a subset of the regular 1.4.2 codebase, many things that are present are simply different or applied differently. The 1.4.x API docs is by and large a good reference, but they document a lot of features we simply do not have access to. This is understandably headache-inducing and wild-goose-chase-leading.

So, cutting to the chase:

The documentation for the code that we're working with can be found here:

http://java.sun.com/javame/reference/apis/jsr217/ (PhoneME Basis Profile)
http://java.sun.com/javame/reference/apis/jsr216/ (PhoneME Personal Profile)

Hopefully using that will save you the trouble that I went to :)
Oct 19, 2007 11:45am
rbpasker 22 posts

pump a few hundred amps through a bug, and you will have a barbeque….

Oct 19, 2007 11:03am
Medium bballantine 56 posts

Hello Beta Crew!

BUGnet, right now, is very simple. It's a place for you all to share your applications with each other and it's the simplest possible thing that works. There are users, applications, and web services which allow it to interact with the SDK. But, there is so much more we could do with it.

Now that the site is out there, I would like your feedback. Here are some questions off the top of my head:
[list:8144ceaaee]
  • Right now we have an uncomplicated mechanism for storing the application bundles as jars and keeping a list of previous versions. Would you prefer something more like SVN? If so, how would you see that working from a user perspective?
  • What are your feelings on the overall BUGnet/SDK interaction? How can that experience be improved?
  • What other data would you like to see attached with users or applications?
  • When you get your real BUG, will you continue to use BUGnet?
  • What other kind of general functionality would you like to see on the site?
  • [/list:u:8144ceaaee]

Thanks so much for helping out and providing your feedback.
    Oct 19, 2007 10:25am
    Medium mcholerton 54 posts

Ken – you told me the your prototype brought you to the dark Sebago inside of Maine, not the dark side of the moon. Flashlight still needed.

Oct 19, 2007 9:44am
    digital1 32 posts

I like the moon :-)

Oct 19, 2007 9:16am
    Medium kgilmer 215 posts

Topic: Applications / Application Licensing

One last (minor) point to make is that the OSGi runtime we use, Concierge (1), is BSD licensed. phoneME advanced (2), the JVM, is GPL and does not have the classpath exception(3) clause. However as Peter mentioned since your applications and the BUG are currently not being distributed together the copyleft does not apply.

1. http://concierge.sourceforge.net
    2. https://phoneme.dev.java.net/
    3. http://www.javalobby.org/java/forums/t84256.html