BUG Community

Welcome! Log In

Forums Recent Posts

Subscribe to Recent Posts 12,499 posts found

Oct 31, 2007 5:50pm
Shawn 14 posts

Topic: BUGnet / BUGnet Thoughts?

I have no problem with GIT, or SVN, and really would like to use GIT more. However I’ve not seen an eclipse plugin for GIT, and the SVN plugin seems to work well (we use it at work), and I think it has more acceptance by a larger amount of developers.

However if we stay with SVN, Linus Torvalds will think we are "ugly and stupid".
:lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XpnKHJAok8

-Shawn

Oct 31, 2007 2:49pm
koolatron 52 posts

Every source control system has its drawbacks, but SVN is what I know and use. I’d give Perforce a try if it weren’t non-free :-\

Oct 31, 2007 2:46pm
Medium finsprings 268 posts

kengilmer
Does everyone feel SVN is the way to go as the SCR? Is there any preference to other free SCRs such as CVS or git?
I'm fine with SVN but I wouldn't be adverse to giving GIT a go. My favourite is Perforce, but it's not free (they don't make exceptions for open source projects do they?).
Oct 31, 2007 2:32pm
Medium kgilmer 215 posts

Does everyone feel SVN is the way to go as the SCR? Is there any preference to other free SCRs such as CVS or git?

Oct 31, 2007 2:22pm
Medium kgilmer 215 posts

Topic: BUG SDK / AbstractServiceTracker replacement

Hello :)

It has been mention a few times that the AbstractServiceTracker limits user applications in that inheritance imposes a specific structure. I’m interested if anyone has some specific ideas on how a non-inheritance style ServiceTracker could work and still provide the functionality of the existing class. Ideas?

Oct 31, 2007 1:51pm
Medium kgilmer 215 posts

Topic: BUG SDK / Latest SDK and Virtual BUG source available

Thanks koolatron! This looks like something that could migrate into the wiki at some point….

Oct 31, 2007 11:33am
koolatron 52 posts

Here's a quick writeup on how to get the source and docs into eclipse so that the Eclipse's context-sensitive documentation kicks in:

Setting up Subclipse
Since we're dealing with a subversion repository, and Eclipse doesn't have "built-in" SVN support (only CVS), we're going to need to install the de-facto standard plugin for handling the BUG source, Subclipse.

- Open Help -> Software Update -> Find And Install like you did when you were installing the Dragonfly SDK. Choose "Search for new features" and add a new remote update site to the list. The name doesn't matter, as long as you can identify it as the Subclipse repository in the future. The URL for this new update site is:
http://subclipse.tigris.org/update_1.2.x
- Go ahead and let it snag the information from this update site. When it's done, it'll ask you what you'd like to install from Subclipse; ignore the Integrations and just go straight for the Subclipse plugin.
- Click through the license agreements and let Eclipse restart itself when when the plugin's done installing.

When Eclipse comes back up, you should now have SVN support enabled.

Importing the SDK source and docs
- Head up to File -> Import. There'll be a new entry on your list, under Other, called Checkout Projects from SVN. Hit it.
- Since you don't have any repositories defined yet, you'll need to set one up. Click through to the Select/Create Location dialog and point it at
svn://bugblade.com
- It'll talk to the internets for a second or two and ask you which folder you want. Highlight "trunk" and hit next.
- Choose what you'll call the source (I left it as "trunk") and check out the Head Revision unless you know for sure you need another version of the source. Click through.
- Point it at the same workspace that you're doing BUG development in and hit Finish.

It'll chug for a few minutes while it downloads a bunch of stuff from bugblade.com. If all goes well, you'll end up with a new non-BUG project in your current workspace that consists of all the source you just snagged. Eclipse is smart enough to use the javadoc in this for context-sensitive documentation.
Oct 30, 2007 1:32pm
Medium kgilmer 215 posts

The URL for source is svn://bugblade.com.

Oct 30, 2007 12:33pm
koolatron 52 posts

Topic: BUG SDK / Latest SDK release

I submitted an enhancement request for the statusbar – since space there is so precious, I brainstormed up a few ideas for making it easier to manage:

Allow modules to not request status LCD regions at all, perhaps by adding an argument when the module’s services are started (would require API change)
implement a "rude" version of acquireRegion() that doesn’t respect previous requests for status LCD space, and overwrites them
- some sort of priority management system that allows low-priority default information to be bumped for more interesting and/or pertinent stuff from applications (a big job, i’d imagine).

thoughts?

Oct 30, 2007 12:22pm
Medium bballantine 56 posts

Topic: Applications / Scripting the BUG

I know I promised this a while ago, but I finally got my Jython BUG application documented and ready for BUGnet. Here it is: http://buglabs.net/application/show/22. It's called JythonGps.

Please check it out. If you're into Python or Jython, definitely take a look. Perhaps you can think of a different or better way to get Python on the BUG. Or perhaps you can use this method to make an application that we've never seen before. I am interested in seeing something unique that would be difficult to do in Java.

Cheers!