BUG Community

Welcome! Log In

Forums Recent Posts

Subscribe to Recent Posts 12,455 posts found

Jan 3, 2008 4:57pm
huli 5 posts

Topic: BUG SDK / Why phoneME and not j2se

I’ve read the blog post about sun and gpl but I still don’t understand why buglabs is not using j2se. The advantage would be running any java library. What is the advantage of using phoneME advanced?

The j2se classpath is big but it can be split into bundles may be not exactly OSGI bundles, but is possible to have a basic j2se classpath in the device and upload missing parts when some OSGI plugin needs it.
is there any legal restriction to do that? to split the classpath ? now sun is going to do that in their "java kernel".

And about android and iphone, I understand buglabs is not for exactly the cellphone consumers but there are a lot of applications that I think that could be shared between a cellphone like android and buglabs and it can benefit buglabs. Also android already have the UI solved.

thank you.

Jan 3, 2008 4:45pm
Orillion 2 posts

Topic: BUG SDK / basic application

Hi,

I like the idea of the BUG. So I downloaded the necessary eclipse components and tried this:

bugcommunity . com /wiki/index.php/Create_a_basic_application

but when I start it nothing happens. I see the Virtual Bug, but it doen’t show anything.

Then I saw this:

bugcommunity . com /wiki/index.php/Run_an_application_in_Dragonfly_%28the_BUG_SDK%29

but it doesn’t help me anything, if I type "bundles" to the console, i get 23 states, but not what is described in the wiki .

Hope you can help me. Can’t do a real application if even Hello World doesn’t work… Maybe there’s a tutorial describing how to start…

2nd uestion: How can I test programms like LCD Helloworld, which I can’t get over eclipse?? i can download the *.jar file from the official bug page and then?? or maybe you can tell me a way how to find it in eclipse.
Thanks

Philipp

Jan 3, 2008 3:57pm
Shawn 14 posts

FYI I am not affiliated with Buglabs, so this is just a bystanders view of things…

While the SDK states it’s PhoneME it is the Advanced version not the Feature version. What that means is you have much of the JavaSE support, such as Classloader, awt, and some more freedom than ME.

As for Android it is a different framework type and would be difficult to model the Bug to follow it. (again personal opinion here, and maybe Ken is thinking of doing that.) IMHO the Bug and Android are for different audiences/uses.

-Shawn

Jan 3, 2008 4:14am
Jessie 10 posts

Topic: BUGmodules / the pen

ya i seen that but i never really looked into it.

Jan 3, 2008 4:14am
Jessie 10 posts

Topic: Java / question

thanks

Jan 3, 2008 4:11am
huli 5 posts

I love this project, I’m excited with new things like Android and iPhone and when I found buglabs I got even more excited. I have a question, sorry if it has been asked:

why not using a j2se small VM and a j2se class path like openjdk, gnuclasspath or harmony ?

have you thought about the similarities with Android? could it be possible to find a way to run some applications both in android and in buglabs? not any application of course but may be some common framework?

thank you.

Jan 2, 2008 6:53pm
David 15 posts

Topic: BUGmodules / the pen

logitech has something like that, but it requires special paper, that has a grid on it, so the pen can read the writing… i definetly like the idea

Jan 2, 2008 5:21pm
jtoeman 57 posts

Topic: BUGbase / Suggestion: BugBase linking

Ondego – we think the same way! We have some ideas for how to do this and it’s definitely on the roadmap.

That said, if anyone wants to make specific suggestions for how they’d like to see this happen, let’s use this forum.

Jan 2, 2008 4:55pm
digital1 32 posts

Topic: BUG SDK / Is Dragonfly the David Hasselhoff of SDKs?

Can you look into OSX compatibility a little bit more and make the SDK more stable? I have been running into probs getting projects created due to stability. I know some of it is due to Eclipse itself (Eclipse seems kinda buggy and weird at times for me anyways in my experience in Windows/Mac OSX dev.) Just my 0.02

Jan 2, 2008 4:52pm
Medium finsprings 268 posts

Topic: Applications / todo

mcaric
As long as it shows me the nearest place to get cake, it's going on my BUG.

Melinda

Sounds like we're on the same page Melinda ;-)