BUG Community

Welcome! Log In

Forums Recent Posts

Subscribe to Recent Posts 12,499 posts found

Jan 9, 2008 5:43pm
Gideon 1 post

Topic: BUGmodules / 3G/Mobile Phone Module

Hey guys..

Any chance of a 3G or CDMA module for the BUG? That would really rock my world.

Jan 9, 2008 5:05pm
Bad_SCR 7 posts

Topic: BUGbase / Barebone BUG-base idea

A Barebone BUG-base would be vary cool. (It is alot like a Bare-Bone PC system)
This may help lower the price of the Unit.

I have An old 1.80GHz Intel CPU, and i can buy Flash-Memory & RAM
It would be nice to use it inside a BUG

----------------------------
ALSO maybe if possible have Socket Adapters; so that one could use a LGA-775, 478, 771, 604, M, and P Socket types. (if possible)

We would most likely get the Flash-memory and RAM from BugLabs.

-------------------------------
Just an Idea.
Jan 9, 2008 3:22pm
Medium bballantine 56 posts

Topic: Applications / Scripting the BUG

myaliasisrithm,

I was interested in having Python run within Java so I could take advantage of the OSGi runtime, where we’ve done a lot of work providing bindings to the module drivers, for example. This code could also access other OSGi bundle services and other BUG applications.

I’m pretty sure the BUG won’t ship with Python on it (because of space issues), but we plan to provide our kernel and root file system build tools. You could use these tools to put Python on the BUG pretty easily. If I’m right about the space concerns, but the community is hankering for Python, we will consider creating a separate package that you can install.

Another thing to keep in mind is, at this time, we don’t have bindings to hardware drivers written for any language other than Java. If you wish to access your modules from Python code, your options are to write your own bindings, wait and hope that we do it, or use the web services running on the BUG internally—the BUG ships with a simple suite of web services that provide access to the modules through http.

I hope this helps.

Jan 9, 2008 3:07pm
paulurban 2 posts

Topic: BUGmodules / Some ideas for modules.. (a rather long list!)

I’d like to add a GPRS module to the list. This opens up a huge list of applications for remote sensing.

Jan 9, 2008 2:30pm
Josh 6 posts

Video Cam is provided in the camera module i believe, Wifi is included in the base unit (802.11b/g supported at any rate) – which i assume has flashable firmware and Skype or VOIP will probably be enabled once they release a microphone module :)

Jan 9, 2008 2:16pm
mr.grue 1 post

Compass + Level (or some other global orientation tracking system):

As long as you’ve got your position with GPS (and possibly your altitude with the altimiter), it would be really useful to know which way your Bug was pointing. For example, combine position + rotation with the camera, and you can reconstruct your photos in a 3d environment.

- grue

Jan 9, 2008 12:46pm
walkmanyi 2 posts

Topic: BUG SDK / Avoiding Java: low level C API?

Hello,
I learned about the BUG just an hour ago (thanks to Slashdot :wink:) and got quite interested. I might consider it for a research project I am working on, yet to correctly assess that I need to have more info about the SDK and the OS. I would be glad if somebody could answer at least some of my questions.

If I would use BUG, I would like program applications in a different programming language than Java – a proprietary one. The interpreter of that language (written in C+ and ported to Linux and Windows) allows my programs to easily connect to 3rd party pieces of software which provide an interface accessible from lower level languages like e.g. C, or C+ (e.g. loading a shared library and using its API, reading/writing files, etc.).

Q1: How difficult is it to connect to BUG HW via a lower level interface from e.g. a C program? If it is easy (as I guess – under the Java VM have to run the low level drivers), is there a documented higher level API which I can start from? Or is there an easily accessible and documented interface to the BUG modules’ drivers?

Q2: What are my possibilities if I need to play directly with the on-board Linux system? I mean things like compiling (or cross-compiling)/porting C++ applications and libraries which already work on standard Linux OS. Could you please point me to a starting point on how to configure the on-board OS?

Thanks a lot for any constructive info.

Jan 9, 2008 11:44am
myaliasisrithm 15 posts

Topic: Applications / Scripting the BUG

Hi,
Has there been any update on getting pure python (w/o java) running on the Bug? That is pretty much my only request at this point – the hardware looks great, and I just sold my UMPC so I can buy the BUGBase and all the modules @ launch :)

Jan 9, 2008 1:19am
oceanic 6 posts

Topic: BUGbase / BUG price :(

David
... i was so sure i was going to get it sooner or later, but now... i dont really think i want it :(

I still want it but can't afford it. For a third-world guy earning in third-world currency, $600 is more than half a month's salary for me.

I don't think second hand bugs will be around soon. :)
Jan 9, 2008 1:09am
User_img_not_found_05_med enicky 24 posts

Topic: Way Off Topic / how much?

jtoeman
Unfortunately we can't yet! Maybe if you have a friend in the US who you can coordinate the shipping?
-jt

Mmmh, that would be a problem ... Canada, that would be ok, but i suppose you don't ship to there either ?

You know somebody who would be willing to do that :wink: