BUG Community

Welcome! Log In

Forums Recent Posts

Subscribe to Recent Posts 12,499 posts found

Jan 16, 2008 4:22pm
Medium mcaric 64 posts

Topic: Applications / Action Scripting!

Hi kreepin,

Initially Flash will not be supported because it’s closed source and proprietary technology. As for the rest of your question, are you looking to use the BUG for video editing?

Thanks,
Melinda

Jan 16, 2008 4:16pm
Medium kschultz 107 posts

Topic: BUGmodules / Some ideas for modules.. (a rather long list!)

A software compass should not be hard to make based on the change in GPS coordinates over time. It would not be as perfect as an actual compass module but it would be 90% there. I have an older Garmin marine chart plotting GPS and it definitely does this because it does not matter the orientation of the device or the receiver, it figures it out based on your track over time. It seems to be within 2 degrees of our real compass. I’ll see what I can do once I start playing with the gps unit.

An altimeter is a good idea, I know a lot skiers and snowboarders that already carry an altimeter to keep track of how many vertical feet they do in a day, as well as a camera, IPod, and a cell phone. Considering many will spend hundreds of dollars to shave grams off of their equipment here and there consolidating all of those devices would attract a lot of those people to the Bug. I don’t know if it would be possible to do vertical location with the GPS, an altimeter module is probably necessary, but I do think some way of keeping track of your vertical position would be nice to have.

And a lot of skiers right now post their stats online and compete for most vertical per day, per run, per season etc so I could see an app that would upload your stats live to the sites. The same goes for other sports, like climbing, paragliding, sky diving. There are a lot of sports that would benefit.

Jan 16, 2008 3:19pm
Randy 2 posts

Topic: Meet & Greet / Hello

Hey that’s pretty cool. I’m going to try to get into the city maybe next weekend and if I do, I want to swing by and see this BUG in person. Very awesome looking.

As for my desktop, I like to do stuff at least semi original, and was thinking of doing the case from red plexi and painting on in black.

Something like this:

Nvm, can’t post link’s yet. What i am planning is to do red plexi and paint the black outline of the Bacardi bat. The bacardi silver strawberry cap i believe is the one i liked, but i inverted the colors. After i get 8 more posts and 6 more days registered, I’ll post the pic up.

Jan 16, 2008 3:16pm
Subway 6 posts

Topic: BUGmodules / Some ideas for modules.. (a rather long list!)

mr.grue
Compass + Level (or some other global orientation tracking system):

As long as you've got your position with GPS (and possibly your altitude with the altimiter), it would be really useful to know which way your Bug was pointing. For example, combine position + rotation with the camera, and you can reconstruct your photos in a 3d environment.

- grue

A precice altimeter with a temp sensor so you can adjust the sensor would be cool, together with the GPS, display and speaker module it would allow me to create a great vario for paragliders and other thermal pilots. Btw, the compass should be part of the GPS unit.
Jan 16, 2008 2:34pm
Medium cdraptor 25 posts

Topic: BUGmodules / Module connection/casing for the electrical engineers

That is fantastic news – there is so much potential with BUGbase. I cannot wait to get my hands on one.

Jan 16, 2008 11:18am

Topic: Applications / Tutorials

I am posting several simple applications to show those new to Bug/Java/AWT how to use the bug. So far the AWTTutorialForBug and MotionSensorExample tutorials are up.

These are my first foray into programming on the Bug. I was learning AWT for myself this week so I thought I should leave an example for others. It is aimed at people new to Java or AWT or the Bug. Those familiar with the three won’t find much in these apps for them, they are the next step up from the Hello World app. Still, some people may find it useful, especially as a wider audience starts to find out about Bug Labs. Any comments on the two? Any new users looking for other tutorials?

Jan 16, 2008 10:21am

I can can't post URLs yet, but if you go to Bug Blogger, check out the post from January 5th, 2008 entitled "Announcing Pricing, Availability, a New Module, and More!". The new module is mentioned in the last paragraph, the "Von Hippel" module.

Lastly, because we want to encourage users to make the most of their BUG, we are pleased to announce the Von Hippel module, a new addition to the collection of BUGmodules. Named after MIT professor and "Democratizing Innovation" author Eric Von Hippel, the Von Hippel BUGmodule adds an interface of inputs and outputs to the BUG, allowing users to "hack" their BUG even further. Professor Von Hippel's book was a big inspiration for the foundation of Bug Labs, so having his name associated with our products is an exciting accomplishment. Final pricing and timing for the Von Hippel BUGmodule is not yet set, but we are targeting the first quarter as well.
Jan 15, 2008 10:04pm
Medium cdraptor 25 posts

I was wondering if there is any plans to module casings which have the module connection and empty casing (maybe in a couple different heights) that would allow those electronics wizards to create their own modules for the BUGbase. I am not one that would be creating, but I do know of quiet a few in the robotics world that would likely create new modules. It would be in the Open Source (Hardware) spirit of things.

Jan 15, 2008 9:57pm
Medium cdraptor 25 posts

Topic: BUGmodules / Module for use with Robotics

I would love to see in the works some modules for controlling robot servos. The easiest would most likely be a module to control standard servos – PWM based.

Here is an example board (check out the SSC-32 board from Lynxmotion : – I’d love to see a module that can snap in and provide servo control similar to this

Jan 15, 2008 8:41pm
Medium cdraptor 25 posts

Topic: BUGmodules / Connecting modules via cable

I think having a cable to connect the modules would be extremely useful in robotics applications – which is one major usage I am planning to use the BUGbase with. That would allow you to configure the camera module and sensors in other locations