BUG Community

Welcome! Log In

Forums Recent Posts

Subscribe to Recent Posts 12,455 posts found

Jan 16, 2008 8:43pm
petrel 2 posts

Topic: Meet & Greet / Automated Acoustic Recording Device

Hello,

I am an ecologist, and am interested in building some automated acoustic recording devices for monitoring natural habitats. I don’t need anything fancy, and some options already exist, but I am intrigued by the possibility of building a device tailored to my needs (and that I can modify myself).

Can I use existing bug modules to:

1. Record through an external microphone attached through an XLR output jack 3.5 mm stereo mini-jack.

2. Store uncompressed audio files (wav or aiff) on a solid state hard drive

3. Ability to program the device to turn on and off on a set schedule

4. Connection to external power source

5. accurate internal clock/calendar

6. Time stamp (georeference might be useful).

Unfortunately, I know nothing about hardware/software. But I’m willing (and excited ) to learn and work if this device seems like a possibility using the bug hardware.

Cheers,
Matthew

Jan 16, 2008 6:56pm
Subway 6 posts

Topic: BUGmodules / Some ideas for modules.. (a rather long list!)

Btw, the altimeter would have to be very responsive and precise, anything else would’nt help a paraglider (like myself), thermals can be tricky.

Jan 16, 2008 6:45pm
migizi 2 posts

Topic: BUGmodules / Pro audio module

I would like to see a pro audio module with XLR inputs and outputs, and 1/4 inch inputs and outputs.

You could stack them and build your own multichannel mixing board / effects processer / recording studio.

Combined with a wireless module of some kind you would be able to have musicians mixing their own effects onstage and sending that mix to the house mix wirelessly.

Jan 16, 2008 5:51pm
kreepin 3 posts

Topic: Applications / Action Scripting!

Melinda and Kevin,

Thanks so much for your help and your feed back!
I promise, you will here from me again!!!

Great help,

kreepin

Jan 16, 2008 5:41pm
Medium kschultz 107 posts

Kreepin,

So I am trying to imagine your system here.

You have a private web server hosting the video clips with a comment system. Access is restricted to a certain group of people and their PCs and BUGs.

From your BUG you would have access to this server, using standard web services. The BUG can consume the services but as far as I can tell most of the complexity ends up on the server itself making the back end for the BUG to plug into.

Your friends log on with their PCs & BUGs and access all the info on your server and comment on it.

You take the BUG and see what they have posted and updated through the web services provided by your server, and write an application for the BUG that allows you to comment back.

This could be possible. It is a lot of software to be written, and depends a lot on how what kind of feed back you want to do. You have access to web services with the BUG, and that kind of opens the door to anything on the internet. It would certainly be a very sophisticated piece of software, and I think it would end up being a custom app for you. Over time some pieces of it will probably get written by the community, I’m sure a lot of people are interested in connecting their BUG to a personal server, and then it is all about your specific application.

If you are interested, you can try out the SDK and it does everything the BUG itself will do and see if it fits your needs.

Jan 16, 2008 4:52pm
kreepin 3 posts

What I’m interested in is, I have a server with some video clips
that are used for friends and clients only, displaying a "how to"
section for reference and tutorials. I wanted to know if I will
be able to post the clips on the server, and seeing that it will be
viewable to the members who all will have different questions at
some point, will I be able to select a clip(s) that is selected by an
individual and layer it with specific information to the clients request,
and make it available to them for download with the information
that I provide?! Making the answers to the clip(s) personal and individual
to each clienst request available for them to download??!

That is where I am puzzled. If this is possible through this device, it
will be of great help, and, if you know of any other software/hardware, can you please direct me???

Thanks a lot,

kreepin

Jan 16, 2008 4:22pm
Medium mcaric 64 posts

Hi kreepin,

Initially Flash will not be supported because it’s closed source and proprietary technology. As for the rest of your question, are you looking to use the BUG for video editing?

Thanks,
Melinda

Jan 16, 2008 4:16pm
Medium kschultz 107 posts

A software compass should not be hard to make based on the change in GPS coordinates over time. It would not be as perfect as an actual compass module but it would be 90% there. I have an older Garmin marine chart plotting GPS and it definitely does this because it does not matter the orientation of the device or the receiver, it figures it out based on your track over time. It seems to be within 2 degrees of our real compass. I’ll see what I can do once I start playing with the gps unit.

An altimeter is a good idea, I know a lot skiers and snowboarders that already carry an altimeter to keep track of how many vertical feet they do in a day, as well as a camera, IPod, and a cell phone. Considering many will spend hundreds of dollars to shave grams off of their equipment here and there consolidating all of those devices would attract a lot of those people to the Bug. I don’t know if it would be possible to do vertical location with the GPS, an altimeter module is probably necessary, but I do think some way of keeping track of your vertical position would be nice to have.

And a lot of skiers right now post their stats online and compete for most vertical per day, per run, per season etc so I could see an app that would upload your stats live to the sites. The same goes for other sports, like climbing, paragliding, sky diving. There are a lot of sports that would benefit.

Jan 16, 2008 3:19pm
Randy 2 posts

Topic: Meet & Greet / Hello

Hey that’s pretty cool. I’m going to try to get into the city maybe next weekend and if I do, I want to swing by and see this BUG in person. Very awesome looking.

As for my desktop, I like to do stuff at least semi original, and was thinking of doing the case from red plexi and painting on in black.

Something like this:

Nvm, can’t post link’s yet. What i am planning is to do red plexi and paint the black outline of the Bacardi bat. The bacardi silver strawberry cap i believe is the one i liked, but i inverted the colors. After i get 8 more posts and 6 more days registered, I’ll post the pic up.

Jan 16, 2008 3:16pm
Subway 6 posts

mr.grue
Compass + Level (or some other global orientation tracking system):

As long as you've got your position with GPS (and possibly your altitude with the altimiter), it would be really useful to know which way your Bug was pointing. For example, combine position + rotation with the camera, and you can reconstruct your photos in a 3d environment.

- grue

A precice altimeter with a temp sensor so you can adjust the sensor would be cool, together with the GPS, display and speaker module it would allow me to create a great vario for paragliders and other thermal pilots. Btw, the compass should be part of the GPS unit.