BUG Community

Welcome! Log In

Forums Recent Posts

Subscribe to Recent Posts 12,498 posts found

Jan 21, 2008 7:27pm
dudenz 5 posts

Topic: BUGbase / BUG price :(

As I am a student I have to live of 600 euros a month. Even if the $600 would be like 400 euros, it still is quite some time to save enough. So I my hope is on the student offers.

Jan 21, 2008 6:30pm
dudenz 5 posts

Topic: Suggestion Box / for robotics usability

Hey,

I am a robotic enthusiast and therefore quite excited about the bug development. Also, that i read requests about some servo connector module made me think a bit.

It would be really cool to get some robots going without the need do develope all the hardware (in terms of computational hardware) by oneself. One might say: Isn’t that what LEGO Mindstorms is all about? But besides being a nice robot toy, it has some severe limitations. And I think BUG has the ability to overcome all sorts of restrictions just because it is so open to change.

So why did I put this up in "Suggestion Box" and not somewhere offtopic?
Well, because in the end I have some ideas which might be if nothing else some food for thought.

So far I have seen the BUG with only one camera module connected at a time. If not allready the case, it would be cool to get two camera modules working in order to enable stereoscopic vision. I imagine that this would require some serious amount of cpu power, therefore there are a couple of things to think of.
One would be, to connect two BUGs and let one do the stereo vision and environment modelling, and the other to do the planning and overall thinking.
On the other hand, maybe there could be specialized modules that have some sort of geometic and vision centered computing units (with special CPUs and memory). Those could do the modelling and picture analysis in order to leave the BUG mainly busy with the plentiful tasks of a robotic life. (Here I must say, I have now idea about what the connectors are capable in matters of bandwith from one module to another. It would be a shame it that would become the bottleneck.)

As mentioned the servo module above, I think it would be good to have besides such a dedicated module also some connector module which could be more software definable – to use besides PWM also Voltage outcome to regulate actuators. (If you want to use Nitinol for example.)
And in case a robot uses motors which draws some ampere, it might be goog to be able to have those powered by extra bateries. Actually, it might generally be a good idea to have all actuators be fed (or feedable) by an external source.

Also to take up an idea allready mentioned by someone else, the connection cables would be of quite some use. (The camera modules could be placed somewhere meaningfull on the robot without putting the whole BUG and its connection at the same place.) With such a cable it might even be a good idea to incorporate two cameras into one module which then would not be compliant with the sizes of other modules … well, maybe.

One last thing I can think of being important, is a way to have sensor input. By that I mean mainly sensors like incremental encoders. Those are for detecting the position of joints and actuators. So a module for connecting those would make it all complete. (at least i cant think of anything new so far ;-) )

Oh hold on. There is something I almost forgot. A module to have fieldbusses like PROFIbus, CANbus etc. would be sweet as well.

Well, all those good ideas of modules for "general purpose" sensory, like a compass, accelerometer, radios for wireless connectivity and alike, I won’t mention. But those are important too.

Wow, that became quite a long story. So if you made it down here: Thanks for reading. ;-)

/Stephan

Jan 21, 2008 6:09pm
gabriel 1 post

Topic: Official Updates / The store is live!

This is absolutely genius hardware, please please make this available to the UK soon!

Jan 21, 2008 4:36pm
User_img_not_found_05_med enicky 24 posts

mcaric
Not just yet, but we're working on a solution to this so stay tuned!

Melinda

sniff sniff :cry:

Jan 21, 2008 4:04pm
Medium mcaric 64 posts

Not just yet, but we’re working on a solution to this so stay tuned!

Melinda

Jan 21, 2008 3:57pm
Medium agordon 74 posts

Topic: Suggestion Box / posting URLs

Hi, jlerner. First of all: Welcome aboard!

Unfortunately, we had to implement this control as part of an anti-spam suite. Prior to putting this limitation in, we saw some pretty disgusting spam from automated bots. After implementing, we’re doing a lot better as far as forum-spam goes.

Our current settings allow for posting of URLs after only just one day and one post, which are a lot less restrictive than the defaults. We’re hoping we won’t need to crank these settings back up, as we understand the frustration that such a system can cause.

Jan 21, 2008 3:48pm
User_img_not_found_05_med enicky 24 posts

I want to buy one!!!!

You guys still have no idea about international shipping dates ? :cry:

Jan 21, 2008 3:26pm
firehorus 1 post

Topic: BUGmodules / Module suggestions

I have several recommendations for Bug accesories. First of all, I would like to see as another blogger said, a scanner attachment. Also, I believe that it may be interesting to see robotic limbs for the Bug so that it will be able to move around. It might also be interesting to see a external hard drive for the Bug in case you have so many programs and or files recorded that the internal hard drive gets filled. Mainly however, I would like to see either an increase in the amount of accesories that the Bug can sustain or a accesory that allows for accesories to be attached to it. Following my previous sentance, I also think that it would be nice to have extension cords for Bug modules so that they can be 20 feet away from the Bug rather than being attached to the Bug itself.

Jan 21, 2008 3:11pm
jlerner 1 post

Topic: Suggestion Box / posting URLs

Seems like you can’t post suggestions with URLs in them if you haven’t posted something else first (like this!) and then waited a day… The URLs in question would be a reference to something relevant :(

Jan 21, 2008 2:58pm
Medium mcaric 64 posts

Topic: Meet & Greet / Hello from Charlottesville/DC Metro

Hi Ashish,

We’re glad to have you aboard! I really like your ideas for the BUG, can’t wait to see what you come up with :)

Melinda