BUG Community

Welcome! Log In

Forums Recent Posts

Subscribe to Recent Posts 12,499 posts found

Jan 22, 2008 9:18pm
Medium finsprings 268 posts

Topic: BUG SDK / Avoiding Java: low level C API?

To take advantage of the OSGI/bug module APIs, could you write a standard Java Bug app that used JNI to get to the C/C+ stuff? It would be sort of inside out, the Java layer bootstrapping the C/C+ stuff where your real app would be, but you could effectively mirror whatever subset of the bug module APIs you needed through JNI to your real app.

Just a thought.

Jan 22, 2008 9:05pm
Medium finsprings 268 posts

Topic: Applications / What about components?

Shawn, I think I got the update – it’s hard to tell since bugnet doesn’t show the change history on an app AFAIK. I’ve been putting my own version number stuff in the app description and bumping the rev in the manifest.

Anyhoo, I see "//addFocusListener(this)" in one of the ctors, so I presume it’s the updated one. However, when I run it on my MacBook, I see the same thing: when I press the X, the keyboard comes right back.

I also took the listener off the Note control but I can’t ever select it.

Any idea what I am doing wrong? Was that the change you made?

Jan 22, 2008 6:59pm
MarcC 10 posts

Topic: BUGmodules / Module suggestions

OBD2 Module isn’t needed, you have a USB Port and can get the cable online, why take up a spot you could use for another module. If someone wants to know where to get the cable let me know, I have one I can recommend.
As for the bar code scanner I wonder how complicated it would be to make software able to read bar codes from pictures, i.e. use the camera instead of creating yet another module.
The idea for controlling electronics, i.e. servos is a must in my book. Multiple uses could come of this.
Here is another though, what about a wireless module dock. A module would be inserted into the main unit that could control and communicate wirelessly to module docks that can host regular modules, this i guess could also be done via wifi. Being able to have modules remotely could be a great advantage. Obviously the module dock would need some kind of power supply.

Just thinking out loud….

Jan 22, 2008 6:16pm
MarcC 10 posts

Topic: BUG SDK / Problem with Eclipse

So here I am figuring I’d take a look at this SDK and what I can do with it. Followed your Wiki for installing the SDK, I already had JAVA and eclipse so that was done, now step 11 states Mark the checkbox for Graphical Editing Framework 3.3.0 not the "SDK" version.
Here is my problem, only the SDK version shows up on my laptop.
Anyone know why I would only see that one?
Running Version: 3.3.1.1
Build id: M20071023-1652
I have 3.3.0 on another PC and I can see both, just not on my laptop. Any idea on what my problem could be. Plugins I have on this pc are for tomcat and hibernate.

Thanks

UPDATE: I see to have found out that the Graphic Editing framework is already installed and enabled, probably from another plugin as I never did it, the problem I have now is then when I try to install the BUG SDK I was missing Plug-in Development Environment so after installing that it seems to work. Figure I would let you know so others who might have this problem can try to fix it themselves.

Jan 22, 2008 5:10pm
hzaida 38 posts

Topic: Meet & Greet / Seattle

ctuller,

Welcome! Hope you have fun writing applications and getting your hands on a BUG soon.

Thanks,

Heather

Jan 22, 2008 4:01pm
Medium ctuller 14 posts

Topic: Meet & Greet / Seattle

Hey all-
I’m a software and gadget geek and am totally looking forward to getting my hands on the Bug.
Any other Northwesterners out there?

Jan 22, 2008 3:21pm
Granitefall 2 posts

Topic: Suggestion Box / Cases...

I know that this is the first release and it’s not really fully completed (hence the early adopters).

But you should look into developing, producing and marketing some cases for the bug and it’s various modules.

As more modules are released and people find themselves replacing multiple electronics with this device they are going to need a good place to store the modules that they aren’t currently using.

(Just my two cents since I always buy a case for any electronic device while I’m buying it.)

Jan 22, 2008 3:10pm
Granitefall 2 posts

Topic: BUGmodules / Environmental Modules suggestion.

I would love to see a Photo Ionization Detector Module.

Of course I don’t even know if it’s reasonable since the smallest unit I’ve ever used was the MiniRAE 2000.

Also I would love to see a pH/resistivity/temperature module, which of course would need a plugin for the necessary electrode/meter.

I personally love the idea of chemical detection methods being included in a module such as this. Some of the reports I have to do for work would be a lot easier if I wasn’t stuck using and compiling data from 5 different companies 5 different products.

Jan 22, 2008 2:59pm
Medium mcaric 64 posts

Topic: BUGmodules / Alternate types of battery packs.

Hi RobbieThe1st,

If we get enough requests from our users for a separate battery pack module, that is definitely something we could look into doing. I can also see how this would be something that a lot of people would find useful, I’ve got a similar conversion attachment for my camera that runs on AA batteries. It’s saved me a number of times, because AAs are easy to find regardless of where you might find yourself.

The BUG will work if the internal battery is removed, provided it is still attached to its power source. The BUG has a power jack, and the power supply we’re using is 5volt, between 0-3 amps. If you need more exact measurements let me know and I can try to get those for you.

Thanks,
Melinda

Jan 22, 2008 2:51pm
Josh 6 posts

Topic: BUG SDK / basic application

The line editing works for me in Eclipse :)

I wondered why it wouldn’t work before!