Forums Recent Posts

Subscribe to Recent Posts 12,455 posts found

Jan 20, 2008 1:29pm
jtoeman 57 posts

Topic: Official Updates / Application Cook Off

finsprings
[quote:e46b363941="jtoeman"]congrats y'all

prize details forthcoming!

Now you're back from CES (saw your demo to Veronica B on the Engadget vid BTW, nice job), are those prize details still forthcoming ;-)[/quote:e46b363941]

Was waiting til Monday to do this, but hey, it's the weekend, why not? :)

We're going to be sending two BUGbundles out, one for you, one for Koolatron. So you get the BUGbase and all four shipping modules, and we'll send you the "von Hippel" module when it's ready!

Sorry for the long, long wait - we had planned to do this some time ago, but the snag we hit early on in manufacturing basically nixed our whole approach. But, we're back up and running now...
Jan 20, 2008 1:00am
Medium finsprings 268 posts

Topic: Applications / todo

kengilmer
I think someone wrote a Virtual Keyboard bundle...I haven't had a chance to check it out though yet...
Yeah, I remember seeing that, but also haven't had a chance to play with it.
Jan 20, 2008 1:00am
Medium kgilmer 215 posts

Topic: BUG SDK / Your Dream Language

Given a perfect world and ignoring things like memory size and constrained environments, what would your ideal application language be?

Jan 20, 2008 12:57am
Medium kgilmer 215 posts

Topic: Meet & Greet / hello form montana

Jessie, where in Montana are you from? I’m originally from Boulder.

Jan 20, 2008 12:45am
Medium kgilmer 215 posts

Topic: Applications / todo

I think someone wrote a Virtual Keyboard bundle…I haven’t had a chance to check it out though yet…

Jan 20, 2008 12:42am
Medium kgilmer 215 posts

Topic: Applications / Tutorials

Kschultz,

Awesome! We definitely need a lot of help here and your time is appreciated. Let me take a look when I get back into the office next week.

Jan 20, 2008 12:39am
Medium kgilmer 215 posts

Topic: BUG SDK / Avoiding Java: low level C API?

Walkmanyi,

Much of the functionality you are looking for is or will be provided in our Java application layer, including support for distributed programming models. I’d love to hear more about what you envision in terms of "light-weight overlay". In regards to discovering which modules are currently connected, most information is provided via the /proc and /sys filesystems.

hope that helps!

Jan 20, 2008 12:36am
Medium kgilmer 215 posts

Topic: BUG SDK / Buglabs should switch to j2se 1.5?

Hi Huli,

We were actually using JamVM before Sun released PhoneME Advanced. It’s a great virtual machine. One key feature that the Sun implemention provides is the just-in-time compiler. That said there is nothing stopping anyone from swapping out PhoneME for JamVM on their BUG.

In regards to GNU Classpath, I am not very familiar with it and cannot really comment. From an initial investigation it did not seem to be modularized or provide a mobile or light version. This may have changed, I do not know.

Regarding "bundle-izing" the class libraries, I do know there are some JSRs that are currently in the mix with various approaches to doing this. Unfortunately I don’t have much time to follow their progress.

Jan 20, 2008 12:30am
Medium kgilmer 215 posts

Topic: BUG SDK / ARM Jazelle technology support

Hi Benoit,

Great question! We’d love to use the Jazelle technology in the BUG, however the technology isn’t available via an open source license. If you have other information on this please let us know! It is really important for us to maintain a full open-source software stack. We do however use the PhoneME Advanced (not J2SE, not J2ME) JIT compiler. I am told that Java application performance of JIT approaches native instruction execution (Jazelle) however I’ve not been able to validate that claim personally.

Jan 20, 2008 12:10am
Medium finsprings 268 posts

Topic: Official Updates / Application Cook Off

jtoeman
congrats y'all

prize details forthcoming!

Now you're back from CES (saw your demo to Veronica B on the Engadget vid BTW, nice job), are those prize details still forthcoming ;-)