BUG Community

Welcome! Log In

Forums Recent Posts

Subscribe to Recent Posts 12,449 posts found

Jan 20, 2008 12:39am
Medium kgilmer 215 posts

Topic: BUG SDK / Avoiding Java: low level C API?

Walkmanyi,

Much of the functionality you are looking for is or will be provided in our Java application layer, including support for distributed programming models. I’d love to hear more about what you envision in terms of "light-weight overlay". In regards to discovering which modules are currently connected, most information is provided via the /proc and /sys filesystems.

hope that helps!

Jan 20, 2008 12:36am
Medium kgilmer 215 posts

Topic: BUG SDK / Buglabs should switch to j2se 1.5?

Hi Huli,

We were actually using JamVM before Sun released PhoneME Advanced. It’s a great virtual machine. One key feature that the Sun implemention provides is the just-in-time compiler. That said there is nothing stopping anyone from swapping out PhoneME for JamVM on their BUG.

In regards to GNU Classpath, I am not very familiar with it and cannot really comment. From an initial investigation it did not seem to be modularized or provide a mobile or light version. This may have changed, I do not know.

Regarding "bundle-izing" the class libraries, I do know there are some JSRs that are currently in the mix with various approaches to doing this. Unfortunately I don’t have much time to follow their progress.

Jan 20, 2008 12:30am
Medium kgilmer 215 posts

Topic: BUG SDK / ARM Jazelle technology support

Hi Benoit,

Great question! We’d love to use the Jazelle technology in the BUG, however the technology isn’t available via an open source license. If you have other information on this please let us know! It is really important for us to maintain a full open-source software stack. We do however use the PhoneME Advanced (not J2SE, not J2ME) JIT compiler. I am told that Java application performance of JIT approaches native instruction execution (Jazelle) however I’ve not been able to validate that claim personally.

Jan 20, 2008 12:10am
Medium finsprings 268 posts

Topic: Official Updates / Application Cook Off

jtoeman
congrats y'all

prize details forthcoming!

Now you're back from CES (saw your demo to Veronica B on the Engadget vid BTW, nice job), are those prize details still forthcoming ;-)
Jan 20, 2008 12:07am
Medium finsprings 268 posts

Topic: Applications / todo

kengilmer
Finsprings,

I mentioned your app several times on the floor at CES. It really lit people up!

Wow, that's cool Ken, thanks! We still need to figure out how to get data into the app though.
Jan 19, 2008 11:17am
hzaida 38 posts

Topic: Official Updates / What about WiFi?

Hey BUG Community,

Peter, our Founder/CEO put up a new blog post yesterday regarding WiFi. Thought I would share, in case you haven’t already read it.

http://www.bugblogger.com/2008/01/what-about-wi…

Hope everyone is doing great and having fun writing BUG Applications.

Heather

Jan 19, 2008 11:11am
hzaida 38 posts

Topic: BUGbase / No Wi-Fi???

jswilson64,

For even more information, Peter (our Founder/CEO) put up this blog post:
http://bugblogger.com/what-about-wifi-84/.

It goes in detail the reasons why.

Thanks for the inquiry and keep ‘em coming.

Heather

Jan 19, 2008 7:17am
RobbieThe1st 4 posts

Topic: BUGmodules / Alternate types of battery packs.

Well, the BUGbase has a battery built in, Li-on I assume. And, it appears that there will be battery BUGmodules, however I assume that they will be Li-on.

I would like to be able to swap out the Li-on battery in the BUGbase for a NiMH battery(Three cells in series actually.) – It would require a different charging mechanism, however, seeing as NiMH is much easier to charge, adding an extra chip and a switch wouldn’t be too hard.

However, that is most likely not possible, as the BUGbase is already in production.

My next solution would be to have a battery BUGmodule which takes a set of 3 AA’s – It would have a easy to open cover, exposing the 3 AA slots, and a switch(Note that it would just barely fit, you might have to make said modual a tad over 2" wide however – but not by much.). The switch would switch between NiCd, NiMH, or Alkaline battery types. On Alkaline of cource, it would not charge. With any luck, you should be able to make a add on pack that can charge NiCd/NiMH batteries, run off said batteries, and in a pinch, run off Alkaline batteries.

Why NiMh? Well, first of all, as AA batteries are common, you won’t have the problem of, in a few years, when the Li-on batteries expire, not being able to find batteries to power your BUG. Also, they charge faster, and only lose capacity when they are run down, so you could leave your device plugged in for a couple years, come back, and everything is still running well, and, even though the power went out a half-dozen times, no data is lost and your batteries still have most of their capacity left.

Of course, even if you couldn’t use AA’s, you could still use perhaps 6 AAA’s, which are around also, so you still get the same benefits.

Even if none of these suggestions work out, I would like very much for the BUGbase to work even if its internal Li-on battery is removed, as long as it is plugged in, or has a battery BUGmodule.

-RobbieThe1st

Jan 18, 2008 9:07pm
AwesomeRobot 2 posts

Topic: BUGmodules / Module suggestions

Ah with ODBII you could log trips, stats, and get all sorts of nice data – coupled with the GPS module and some mapping software you have the perfect roadmate.

Hell you could even have ODBII, GPS, LCD + bluetooth/gsm to have handsfree calls, trip logging, and navigation. Maybe ODBII could be achieved with USB as well.

That’s the kind of gadget you find in nerd heaven.

Jan 18, 2008 8:54pm
AwesomeRobot 2 posts

Topic: BUGmodules / 3G/Mobile Phone Module

I have been holding off for now on a purchase but if there were a GSM module that accepted a SIM - I’d buy it in an instant.

Please let us know of any possibility.