BUG Community

Welcome! Log In

Forums Recent Posts

Subscribe to Recent Posts 12,499 posts found

Jan 23, 2008 7:14am
Medium kgilmer 215 posts

Topic: BUG SDK / Problem with Eclipse

MarcC,

Thanks for the suggestion! Yes we probably need a separate HOWTO for installing the SDK in an existing Eclipse instance, rather than assuming a clean slate.

Jan 23, 2008 7:12am
Medium kgilmer 215 posts

Topic: Applications / What about components?

Regarding OSGi package versioning, yes this is supported. Refer to section 4.4.4 of the R3 spec for more details. One important note is that R3 only supports one version of a given package namespace per runtime (JVM) instance. R4 supports multiple concurrent versions. This is something we will need to address at a later point. Also note that most of our existing bundles do not specify versions. This will change for the shipping product.

Jan 23, 2008 7:02am
Medium kgilmer 215 posts

Topic: BUG SDK / Any way to preload modules in the emulator?

Finsprings,

We’ve had this request internally as well. We’ll take a look.

Jan 23, 2008 6:58am
Medium kgilmer 215 posts

Topic: BUG SDK / Unable to download app (FC8)

Finsprings,

What’s the build # on the SDK? The SDK now communicates to the BUGnet website via HTTPS…in the past it had been plain HTTP. This may be the cause of the problem. I’ll dig around internally and see if I can come up with something.

Jan 23, 2008 3:47am
RobbieThe1st 4 posts

Topic: BUGmodules / Alternate types of battery packs.

mcaric
Hi RobbieThe1st,

If we get enough requests from our users for a separate battery pack module, that is definitely something we could look into doing. I can also see how this would be something that a lot of people would find useful, I've got a similar conversion attachment for my camera that runs on AA batteries. It's saved me a number of times, because AAs are easy to find regardless of where you might find yourself.

Ah, good I guess. I figured there was already one in development, seeing as the BUGbase supports "Battery operation/up to 4 external batteries".

mcaric

The BUG will work if the internal battery is removed, provided it is still attached to its power source. The BUG has a power jack, and the power supply we're using is 5volt, between 0-3 amps. If you need more exact measurements let me know and I can try to get those for you.

Thanks,
Melinda

Ah good. I have seen quite a few mobile devices which will not run if their batteries are removed.

Battery wise, are you using a one or two cell Li-on design for the BUGbase battery? Also, if you don't mind, I would like to know the dimensions of the BUGbase battery.

External power-source wise, what sort of tolerance are we talking about? If we are talking about charging a single-cell Li-on battery, 4.2V+ should work fine, or if not charging the battery, 3.6V or so should be enough to run the electronics, just like the 3.6V you get from the battery.

On the high side, are we talking a tolerance of around 0.1V, so 5.2V would fry something, or are we talking 6.0V max, like some 5V usb-powered devices, or are we using something like a LM317T voltage regulator, in which case anything less than 30V or so should be fine(although you would have to worry about heat dissipation at such high voltages)?

I am just wondering, as it would be nice to know just what you need to power a BUG(One good reason this is important is that cheap wall transformers rarely come in 5V - usually 4.5 or 6V. Now, while the latter can be pulled down to 5V externally using a LM317T circuit or the like, it would be nice to know if you would have to do that, or if it is already done for you).

Thanks for taking the time to read my post,

-RobbieThe1st
Jan 23, 2008 2:41am
whaleforest 7 posts

Topic: Meet & Greet / Hello from China

bballantine,ni hao!

I can’t believe you know Pinyin,and your pinyin is pretty good! :lol:

Thanks for your help.now i know i can use Bug with Processing(at the future).

Now is pinyin:
ruguo Bug store neng gou youji dao zhongguo,wo hui zai xia ge yue ding gou yi tao BUGbase ‘Hiro P’ .
1 nian qian wo kai shi shi yong Arduino,xian zai wo kai shi jie shao Arduino gei zhongguo de yishujia he xuesheng.hen duo ren tong guo wo de Blog kai shi xue xi he shi yong Arduino.
wo jue de Bug ye shi fei chang bang de.suo yi,wo hui zai jiang lai xiang xi de jie shao Bug gei zhongguo ren.wo ren wei Bug neng gou dai gei yishujia geng duo de ling gan.
(in my mind,i dont’t think Bug is only a DIY PDA,it’s a originality device,engineer can use it,artist can use it,and student can use it too.)

wo fei chang qi dai ni men neng gou kai fa chu Processing with Bug,and BUG+EDU.
xi wang zai jiang lai neng gou duoduo lian xi,hu xiang bangzhu.

ye xie xie(谢谢) ni.

o(∩_∩)o

Jan 23, 2008 1:20am
Medium finsprings 268 posts

Topic: BUG SDK / Unable to download app (FC8)

I created a Fedora Core 8 VM on my MacBook, installed the latest 3.3.1 Eclipse Classis, the 3.3.1 GEF and the Bug SDK. My apps are working fine in the VirtualBug, but if I click on one of the apps in the bugnet tab, I get a dialog that says:

"Could not initialize the browser’s security component. The most likely cause is problems with files in your browser’s profile directory. Please check that this directory has no read/write restrictions and your hard disk is not full or close to full. It is recommended that you exit the browser and fix the problem. If you continue to use this browser session, you might see incorrect browser behaviour when accessing security features."

Then, when I ok that dialog, it comes up with:

"Firefox can’t connect securely to buglabs.net because the SSL protocol has been disabled."

Finally, when I okay that, I see in my terminal window (from which I ran eclipse):

"java.net.MalformedURLException: unknown protocol: about at java.net.URL.<init>(URL.java:574) at java.net.URL.<init>(URL.java:464) at java.net.URL.<init>(URL.java:413) at com.buglabs.dragonfly.ui.editors.BrowserEditor$1.urlToMap(Unknown Source) at com.buglabs.dragonfly.ui.editors.BrowserEditor$1.completed(Unknown Source) at org.eclipse.swt.browser.Mozilla.OnStateChange(Mozilla.java:2032) at org.eclipse.swt.browser.Mozilla$7.method3(Mozilla.java:1037) at org.eclipse.swt.internal.mozilla.XPCOMObject.callback3(XPCOMObject.java:259) at org.eclipse.swt.internal.gtk.OS._g_main_context_iteration(Native Method) at org.eclipse.swt.internal.gtk.OS.g_main_context_iteration(OS.java:1487) at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:2969) at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runEventLoop(Workbench.java:2389) at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runUI(Workbench.java:2353) at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.access$4(Workbench.java:2219) at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$4.run(Workbench.java:466) at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:289) at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:461) at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:149) at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.application.IDEApplication.start(IDEApplication.java:106) at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:169) at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:106) at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:76) at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:363) at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:176) at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39) at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25) at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597) at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:508) at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:447) at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1173)
"

- which may or may not be related, but it wasn’t there until I pressed Ok on that second dialog box.

I have the official JDK 1.6.0_04 installed and set my path and JAVA_HOME to use it rather than the 1.7 IcedTea that’s in FC8 by default.

I turned the firewall off during install, but I left SELinux alone. All file in my Firefox profile directory are owned by my account and most are 644.

Any ideas as to what I need to tweak?

Jan 22, 2008 11:03pm

Topic: BUG SDK / Any way to preload modules in the emulator?

Is there a way to specify which modules are already connected to the VirtualBug? In my constant recompile/retest cycles I spend a lot of unnecessary time selecting the modules that are connected, just to get to the point where I can test my app. If I could specify that slot 0 had the LCD, slot 1 had the GPS etc, in a config file or something, then I could skip that step during my testing. This would save me personally a lot of time.

Jan 22, 2008 9:43pm

I’m using Eclipse 3.3.1 with GEF 3.3.1 and the latest Dragon SDK from the …/testing/.. url as per the wiki (as of yesterday). I was using the default 1.5.0_13 JRE that comes with Leopard, but I get the same with Apple’s 1.6.0_01-41 developer preview.

I should just set up a new linux VM and be done with it.

Jan 22, 2008 9:31pm
Shawn 14 posts

Yes that was the change, I verified it updated the app on bugnet, and from your comment you have that new version as well.

Oh by-the-way you can drag the keyboard around on the screen so that it’s out of your way to select the notes field. (not sure if I had mentioned that in the comment for the vkey).

Now I’m not one to point at another VM and say it’s their fault, but I’m wondering if this is due to extra events being throw to focusGained by the mac JVM? Which version are you running. 1.4, 1.5, 1.6 on Mac?
I’m on 1.6.0_03, on linux. Also which version of eclipse? and Dragonfly?
(not sure where to look for Dragonfly’s version num.)

But this shine the light on an issue that emulators always have, they are not the real thing. So if we solve it for all the JVM on the desktop the real device may still do other bad things. :(

I’ll walk through the code again and see if I can put some other checks so as not to allow the vkey to pop back.