BUG Community

Welcome! Log In

Forums Recent Posts

Subscribe to Recent Posts 12,498 posts found

Feb 3, 2008 7:05pm
bmartinek 22 posts

Topic: BUGmodules / GPS Module Sample Rate???

I am prototyping a GPS project and need the most accurate data possible for location. I understand that non-governmental GPS can only get within a 10’ radius. The best way to do this seems to be take as many data points possible during a trip.

Does anyone have any idea how fast the GPS module + BugBase could sample for a given time period? :?

Thanks in advance,
Ben

Feb 3, 2008 6:00pm
Medium finsprings 268 posts

Topic: BUGmodules / I/O on the vonHippel Module

bmartinek
its supposed to have a breadboard section, so you could do whatever you want really.

Thanks. But, in order for the bug to interact with whatever you put on the breadboard, the module will have to expose some I/O lines from the CPU: GPIOs, A/Ds, I2C, 1-Wire, serial, SSP, whatever. Often lines are multifunction and you tweak some control registers to tell it what you actually want the line to be used for. So I'm curious what lines will be available, and how bug apps will interact with those lines.

Cheers,
Dave
Feb 3, 2008 4:08pm
bmartinek 22 posts

As far as I understand from some folks in the SF office, its supposed to have a breadboard section, so you could do whatever you want really. I am hoping to hook up some potentiometers.

Hope that helps.

Feb 1, 2008 11:56pm

I was looking around the various bug sites, but I couldn’t see any specifics on what I/O ports were going to be brought out and made available by the vonHippel. Is that information available at this time?

Feb 1, 2008 11:48pm

Topic: BUG SDK / Servlet: static files?

Although it's working, I'm not sure I'm making use of the HttpContexts properly. For my static image I set the alias to /bugerresources and mapped it to /Resources when I registered the context. I couldn't make the alias /buger or it would just be subsumed by my servlet. But to find the static image resource (the bug logo), I had to put it at Resources/bugerresources/buglogo.jpg and refer to it in the HTML as /bugerresources/buglogo.jpg. That seemed a little clunky to me: if I'm registering a mapping from /bugerresources to /Resources, why do I need the subfolder under Resources to get the mapping to work?

Then, for the captured images I registered another HttpContext for /bugercapture mapped to "". I referred to the images as /bugercapture/<timestamp>.jpg in the HTML. In the getResource() method of my HttpContext I stripped off the leading /bugercapture/ part and called return context.getDataFile( fileName ).toURL() to return a URL for the image file where it resides in the persistent storage area. Again, having to mess with the string made it seem like I wasn't doing something quite right.

So, it's working, but am I doing it the right way?
Feb 1, 2008 9:07pm
Medium cdraptor 25 posts

Topic: BUGmodules / Connecting modules via cable

I am currently working with the SPC-101C robot from Speecys - I've been doing some recompile and conversion of some of the application. One of the things I like about this Robot is the WiFi so it allows me to develop applications on the PC to communicate with the robot. I can't stand Basic Stamp and honestly most of the small processing power of the embedded devices can only provide simple functionality - major things like vision/audio processing works best on say a laptop or desktop - especially if your going to be doing object recognition.

http://www.speecys.com/english/ --- Speecys Website

Here's some of my work with the Speecys on You Tube - http://www.youtube.com/user/RxDTxDTTL

Anyway I want to develop a Hexapod walker or Wheeled/Track platform - the Humanoid are cool, but very limited in payload. Initially I am looking to connect the BUGBase to the SSC-32 Servo controller from Lynxmotion. But I am talking to someone about working with the Von Hipple module and integrate his current control module for the Bioloid AX-12+ servos. I am bugged about the onboard WiFi - but am hopeful Bug Labs will get that worked out and on-board soon after the Hiro P.
Feb 1, 2008 8:13pm

Topic: BUGnet / where do I find com.buglabs.bug.base.pub.ITimeProvider

Greg, FYI I have updated BUGer a fair bit recently. It now displays a static logo image and, more importantly, the images that are captured when motion is detected:

The HTML is still 1995-era but adding some CSS magic to make it look nice wouldn't be too hard.
Feb 1, 2008 8:11pm

Topic: BUG SDK / Servlet: static files?

Thanks Ken. Since I already had to use an HttpContext to get the static resource, it was fairly easy to create another one to get the dynamic images.

So now BUGer finally displays the images that are captured when motion is detected:
Feb 1, 2008 5:17pm
akravets 25 posts

Topic: BUG SDK / files

Hi MarcC,

You can persist the state of your application or BUG using OSGi Configuration Admin. For more information please refer to this http://bugcommunity.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=973#973

If you have any questions, or get stuck somewhere don't hesitate to bug me :)
Feb 1, 2008 5:11pm
akravets 25 posts

Topic: BUG SDK / Using Configuration Admin

Sometimes there is a need to persist state of BUG between launches, this can be achieved using OSGi's Configuration Admin (CM). There is an implementation of CM provided by com.buglabs.osgi.cm that can be obtained from CVS and is available in SDK. Also test cases are available in com.buglabs.osgi.cm.tests

Bellow is short how-to on how to use CM:

Configuration Admin HOW-TO:

Upon unregistering a bundle from the OSGi Framework all configuration data that might have been set to define its state is gone. To relieve user of pains of reconfiguring the bundle
once its active, Configuration Admin can be used to persist configuration data so that upon the bundle's being active again its states can be set to those when they were before bundle was
unregistered.

Get Configuration Admin Service:

ServiceReference serviceReference = context.getServiceReference(ConfigurationAdmin.class.getName());
ConfigurationAdmin configAdmin = (ConfigurationAdmin) context.getService(serviceReference);

or use a ServiceTracker in order to know when service will be available.

Get the Configuration:
Each Configuration contains a Dictionary that holds properties for service of interest, to initiate a new store or retrieve an existing one:

Configuration config = configAdmin.getConfiguration("com.buglabs.someService");

Retrieve properties for the service:
Dictionary properties = config.getProperties();

Update service with properties:

Dictionary prop = new Hashtable();
prop.put("enabled", new Boolean(true));

Refer to section 10.4.2 of OSGi R3 specifications for valid types that can be used in Dictionary.

config.update(properties);

Configuration's properties can also be cleared by executing config.update(null); This will clear all properties for this Configuration but leave Constants.SERVICE_PID intact since it identified id for this Configuration.

Complete specifications for OSGi including CM can be downloaded from http://www2.osgi.org/Specifications/HomePage.