BUG Community

Welcome! Log In

Forums Recent Posts

Subscribe to Recent Posts 12,455 posts found

Feb 7, 2008 3:35pm
Medium mcaric 64 posts

Topic: Meet & Greet / ...waiting in germany

I needed help on ‘shipping’, ‘user’, and ‘community’. Surprisingly they don’t cover those words in German 101, but I still remember how to tell someone they are under arrest – ‘Halt, Sie sind verhaftet’. That one comes in handy a lot.

I also remember the word for ‘cufflinks’, but can’t seem to remember more practical nouns like ‘desk’ or ‘chair’. Go figure :)

Feb 7, 2008 3:26pm
Tueksta 12 posts

hehe, your translation of "shipping" was hilarious, babelfish helped you a bit on that? :)

when i finish my semester i’ll probably find some time to dig into the realms javabugging. until then i tell everyone about this product, and have some thoughts on what kind of software could support the true innovation of this modularized object.

Feb 7, 2008 1:48pm
Medium kgilmer 215 posts

Topic: Applications / Can i run Android on the BUGbase?

Couldn’t have said it better myself Kevin…good post. In summary the BUGbase as a hardware platform should in theory support the Andriod OS. The notion of modular hardware and services, to my (limited) knowledge does not play into the Andriod platform, and as such that type of functionality would not be available via an Andriod’ed BUG.

Feb 7, 2008 11:47am
Medium mcaric 64 posts

Hallo Tueksta, wie gehts?

Das freut mich Sie hast BUG schon gefindet, wilkommen zu unser Gemeinwesen! Unser ersten Kaufer ist der Java Programmierer, aber wann wir haben mehr applications hier, es ist mehr einfach fur alle leute gebrauch machen von BUG.

Wir sind nicht jetze zu Deutschland schiffahrt, hoffentlich wir sind nicht zu viel langer.

Bitte entschuldigen mein furchtbar Deutsch, ich habe nicht fur vielen jahr gesprochen!

Tchuss,
Melinda

Feb 7, 2008 11:30am
Medium kschultz 107 posts

Hi Tueksta, welcome to the community! As a student myself I found that I’m learning a lot just by playing with the SDK. Have you tried it out?

Feb 7, 2008 10:41am
Tueksta 12 posts

I am a 26 year old student from bonn, germany, and very fond of this product, although I can’t imagine right now what actually to do with it. But I guess a strong community will work this question soon enough. If you need help promoting your product in germany, translations, etc., let me know.

Feb 7, 2008 1:19am
myaliasisrithm 15 posts

Topic: BUGbase / Source for high-capacity MMC Micro cards?

Hi,
No problems – I really appreciate all your efforts! No, those are MMCMobile cards. It’s all confusing, because there are about a kajillion flavors of mmc cards :) The mmcmicro cards are the smallest of the small, and have REALLY low power consumption. I’ve found the 512MB ones scattered around (some pretty reasonably, as well):
http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-memory-adapter-...

Just no larger ones. Hope this link helps folks :)

Feb 6, 2008 8:47pm
jtoeman 57 posts

gah!!! the description said mmc, but you are right, the tech spec said sd (the bug QA team is most likely making quite a bit of fun of me by now). I’ve been deleting my old posts because I don’t want anyone else to accidentally purchase the wrong thing…

how about this:
http://www.nextag.com/Kingston-2GB-MMC-MOBILE-5…

if not that, anything here: http://www.nextag.com/2gb-mmc-card/search-html?...

?

Feb 6, 2008 7:53pm
myaliasisrithm 15 posts

That one is MicroSD (the actual card, that is) The form factor is close, but they are not interchangeable, as the pinouts are different. :) These micro memory cards are all confusing. I’ve seen 512 MB cards on-line, but nothing larger. I’m broadening my search to international markets now. Samsung ANNOUNCED both 1 and 2 GB cards, but I cannot for the life of me find them for sale.

Feb 6, 2008 5:49pm
Medium cdraptor 25 posts

Topic: BUGmodules / I/O on the vonHippel Module

The USB Device I have now should work as is with the BUGBase, but I am looking at how to minimize wires and extra boards for mounting. Prior to doing anything with the VonHipple I plan on experimenting with the current board.

As for Power even the VonHipple module that would be created will require an external power connector to run the servos. This is the current board - if you check out www.huvrobotics.com - it is the USB Bus Interface. Currently I have it hooked up to a PC with the FTDI drivers installed the device shows up as another COM port. Jon Hylands designed this with the power connector that matches up to the existing Bioloid Power Cord, I would like to see PC Board Connectors where you just tighten you +/- wires - opens it up for more variety on the power connection.

Now - Here is another question maybe someone can answer, I already have setup the SSC-32 board from Lynxmotion. Here is the board ---> http://www.lynxmotion.com/Product.aspx?productID=395&CategoryID=52

There are 4 UART Serial serial links - I am wondering if there are any existing cables from that directly to DB9 connector - which you can see would plug nicely into the SSC-32. It's not a huge deal I have made my own connectors, set the SSC-32 jumper to allow me to just connect on the TX/RX headers.

I did that to use the Gumstix with the SSC-32 --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU6oWsOG8Y8. I had the WiFi board on the gumstix and was sending the serial commands to control the Servos via TCP/IP from the Laptop to the Gumstix which was sending out the serial data to the SSC-32 board. (A big reason I hope the onboard WiFi gets worked out for final release of the BUGBase).

Anyway using USB connection on the BUGBase and Serial UART to the SSC-32 the BUGBase can be a plug/play connector for my robots. Still it would be nice to integrate the board like Jon's and standard Servo connector as a module (both of which will need external power for servos).