BUG Community

Welcome! Log In

Forums Recent Posts

Subscribe to Recent Posts 12,499 posts found

Feb 18, 2008 7:06pm
Medium kschultz 107 posts

Topic: BUGbase / hardware question

What are you displaying on an LCD? Do you have a specific screen in mind? I think there are USB -> VGA adapters out there, if you aren’t putting something very graphically intense on it I wonder if it would be easier to hack from that route? It would probably be worth a look.

The issues I see being a factor:

-Does linux support it?

-Power supplied from the USB port on the BUGbase, since it is mini-USB rather than a full USB the converter needs its own power supply, and you will need a mini-usb to fullsize usb converter

How much bandwidth can you put through a USB>VGA converter? I’m not sure but I’m sure it is sluggish compared to a regular VGA connection

-Does you screen have a vga connection? I would assume so.

-How much room do you have? The one I found looks pretty big, it certaintly wouldn’t be as elegant as the BUG clipping into something

http://www.buyextras.com/betusb20tosv.html?gcli…

There are a lot of problems to be solved but I have to believe going down that route would be easier. I think it is mostly a Linux driver issue (if that) and a power issue for the converter, both of which seem easier to solve than building your own module. However if you getting it working this way, I believe it was mentioned somewhere that the module connnection is based off the Linux USB driver so it might be easier to do this first and than port it over to a module later? I’m not sure, but if it where me I’d try this first, although you would burn a bit of money on the adapters and some time trying to make it work, you are guaranteed to spend a lot of time hacking the other way before you even find out if it works. You can also start now, if you get an adapter and get it to have a display from a Linux desktop you are most of the way there, then when your BUG comes you just have to deal with the power issues, where as if you wait for the BUG to hack, you won’t even be able to start yet.

My 2 cents,

Feb 18, 2008 5:01pm
Medium mcaric 64 posts

Hi code_slave,

Our LCD module is 320×240, but if you’re going to hack into the hardware yourself the results will vary. Check out this link:

http://www.freescale.com/files/32bit/doc/prod_b…

On page 9 in section 2.6 for the Display Port you will find the answers you are looking for.

Thanks!
Melinda

Feb 17, 2008 6:06pm
Tueksta 12 posts

Topic: BUGmodules / Categorizing modules

Hello,

I just read some of the ideas mentioned here, and I had some thoughts. There seem to be like three main categories of modules: Input, Output and Communications

Input can be subcategorized into Sensoric and Interface, where the first contains elements like motion sensors, gps, altimeter, compass, camera, microphone, radar detector, infrared detector, proximity sensor, radio receiver, tv-receiver, etc. and the other one all kinds of keyboards, touch screen, writing tablets, joysticks, etc.

Output also has two subcategories: Production and Interface. Output interface modules are screens, speakers, eink, braille, while production modules are something like servos, propellers, led array, beamer, hot/cold pads, printers, force feedback.

Communications be vaguely be divided into two categories: Wireless communication and hardware connectivity. Wireless is for Bluetooth, Wifi, Infrared, 3G, GSM, edge, DECT, UMTS, etc. and hardware is for USB, Firewire, ethernet, card readers and all kinds of plugs, sockets and jacks.

A fourth category would be a Core category, which is strongly related to the basic units. They aim at enhancing the device itself, with solar cells, battery packs, ram extension, hard disks, number crunchers, etc.

So what we have is something like this:

Core
Input
-Interface
-Sensors
Output
-Interface
-Production
Communication
-Wireless connectivity
-Hardware connectivity

In my opinion the Sensors are the most exciting part, not only because most proposed items fit into this category, but these are also items that exist for other devices, but rarely have been accessible via a computer, because noone saw a reason to do so. Well, this community will show the world, why it’s good to have a lot of input sources.

On the other hand productive modules will be the most fun part. Because you can actually create something in the real world with this self-assembled and programmed device. This is a kids dream come to true, your own minifactory :D

Feb 17, 2008 4:53pm
Tueksta 12 posts

Topic: BUGmodules / The Teleporter

it teleports itself away, as soon as you look at it. i hope the price will be fair for this one ;)

Feb 17, 2008 4:33pm
jtoeman 57 posts

Topic: Suggestion Box / store

tueksta,

good suggestions, thanks very much for the feedback. We’re working on some website edits and I’m going to try to incorporate more photos and details this time around!

Best,
Jeremy

Feb 17, 2008 6:42am
Tueksta 12 posts

Topic: Suggestion Box / store

hi,

as i mentioned on irc already, i think it would be great to have some more high-quality photos and different angles of the items in the store. with buying shipped items, people always want to have a good idea what they’re paying for.

bye

edit: i just noticed that a lot more information is missing. Like the size and weight of the product, battery capacity, which cables will be shipped along, etc., etc. Please, the more info, the better! :)

Feb 17, 2008 5:42am
code_slave 12 posts

Topic: Meet & Greet / Hello from China Pt.2

Ok, I see a port is not possible because you are using a multi-media processor , which has in built java support.

Looks like i’m going to have to get one of your units.

Feb 16, 2008 6:29pm
code_slave 12 posts

I still did not find any circuit diagrams.
The CPU device interfaces to a graphics chip or directly to an LCD , but neither on your site OR in the data sheet can i find anything that gives the resolution of the display.

I’m going to be starting my MSc Dissertation in a few months,
but so far I have looked at 3 different platforms

Atmel AT91RM9200
Samsung S3C2440A
Intel PXA270

Non of which really support java directly, and I’m not much in the mood to pull together a C/C++ GUI application.

I would very much like to do it on your product, but for what I have planned it requires a larger LCD, and yes i know i would potentially have to hack the hardware.

Feb 16, 2008 1:53am
code_slave 12 posts

Hi guys,

thanks for the fast reply.

A better link is:
http://www.freescale.com/files/32bit/doc/data_s…

Feb 15, 2008 10:19pm
adreamer 2 posts

Topic: Applications / I have a dream

Hi Jeremy, no no I means a Nokia E90 with linux inside!! I like E90, for me it’s the ideal smartphone, with a small keyboard and a lot of functions and features like radio, HSDPA, 3.5Mpixel cam, etc…..
A real palm pc!!
What you advice? It’s better to buy an E90 and install linux or build a smartphone like E90 using buglabs items?
Please, advice me! (but it’s better you know, my hardware skills are close to 0 and I’m not able to program linux to configure an E90! For this I wrote "I have a dream"!!)
Have a nice day Jeremy