BUG Community

Welcome! Log In

Forums Recent Posts

Subscribe to Recent Posts 12,458 posts found

Feb 9, 2008 8:12pm
Tgeahre 8 posts

Topic: BUGmodules / Some ideas for modules.. (a rather long list!)

What do you think of the kit idea though?

because you have to admit that somethings are just too petty for Bug labs to have to make. spending money on machines to mass produce gamepad style buttons for linux and java programmers is somewhat cost in-efficient and tedious.

from the sound of it, the lighting module that was suggested is mostly a matrix of LEDs. with the LCD screen and the double wide coming, how many people are going to buy that even if there is eventually a great demand for this product. if the regular consumers become interested in BUG, do you think that there will be a big enough percentage of people wanting the lighting module to make it’s production cost efficient?

on the other hand having kits for teaching how to make the connections or how to make the connections work better with the base is still giving these hardware and software programmers what they want and teaching them to make better ones themselves. I could easily see the more-technically-minded-average-consumer buying that product just to learn more. someone really should produce good instructions on how to make the modules comply to the BUG Base’s ability to instantly shift power needs and who better then the people at Bug Labs themselves.

(PS: don’t get my wrong, I think a laser module, lighting module, gamepad module, and some of the others I have mentioned in this and the last post are great ideas and I know that I will make a gamepad module and a motor module myself. I am just using them as examples, please don’t hate me)

Feb 9, 2008 8:12pm
myaliasisrithm 15 posts

Topic: BUGmodules / ETA for module specification?

That would suck if true here in CA! I just want a proof-of-concept, though – I am sure that if I can get it working, I should be able to find a market, overseas if necessary.

Feb 9, 2008 3:50pm
Subway 6 posts

Tgeahre
I don't think things that are simple really shouldn't be made into modules.

I have to disagree. If a module isn't easely available, if that's through buglabs or another company, than any application written for it can only be used by a small fraction of users (if this ever gets past the critical mass needed to be of interest for regular consumers).
Feb 9, 2008 3:39pm
Tgeahre 8 posts

Sounds like a good idea but depending on where you live, it may be illegal. I personally don’t care about the illegality, I just wanted to give a friendly warning. I know in many states RF blocking is against the constitution.

Feb 9, 2008 2:22pm
myaliasisrithm 15 posts

Hi,
Is there an ETA (Estimated Time of Arrival) for the module specifications? That is, the hardware specs on the interconnection mechanism, as well as each individual module’s specs? It was mentioned that it would be possible to build 3rd party modules – this information would be really helpful to have as a starting point. I am interested in building a wave bubble module (http://www.ladyada.net/make/wavebubble/) that is slightly modified to use 802.11s (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11s) to form what is basically a mobile RF blindspot. I want it as a module because I want to be able to route 802.11 b/g/n, GPS and bluetooth comms THROUGH the bubble, while allowing nearby bugs with the same module the ability to extend the bubble and maintain wireless comms while other channels are blocked. It is an idea I have been banging around in my head for a couple of years that I would like to see if I could get working.

Thanks!

Feb 9, 2008 9:21am
whaleforest 7 posts

Topic: Applications / Can i run Android on the BUGbase?

Thank you,Kevin! :lol:
and thank you too,Ken. :wink:

I will waiting for my own BUG anyway,then i will try it out…

Feb 9, 2008 9:17am
whaleforest 7 posts

Topic: BUGmodules / The Teleporter

Actully,i don’t know too.ahahah
waiting for the answer… :P

Feb 9, 2008 3:34am
Tgeahre 8 posts

Topic: Meet & Greet / Oi To The World!!

Oi, I’m Tgeahre (pronounced like tear, as in rip).

I live in SoCal, I am going to school as a Computer Engineer and I love robotics. I plan on making my own modules and eventually making a mobile module for my bug to move about. maybe with tank treads.
I am Fair Folk, I love to participate in the renaissance fair and I want to use my BUG to take pics at the fair and upload them to a Flikr account automatically with geo-tags.
I have many more ideas but I am sure they will eventually come out on the boards somewhere.

Tgeahre

Feb 9, 2008 3:23am
Tgeahre 8 posts

I gotta say that some of these are things that should be DIY projects instead of actual produced modules. part of the beauty of this device is the Build it yourself aspect. I don't think things that are simple really shouldn't be made into modules. things like the suggested motor, button, lighting, and laser modules sound like they could be made pretty easily at home using products that you can find in most any fry's, radioshack or hardware store.

On the other hand though I would love to see some of these as build it yourself module kits produced by bug - similar to the build it yourself radio kits or preamp kits. maybe include a software disk with tutorials on programming your newly soldered module. not only would it get some of these simpler modules out to the public but it would also help teach people that are new to hardware design how to build and program new modules for the bug. it would help them to move onto more complicated module design.

on a side note, I think that these modules would be great for Bug Labs to produce:

TV-out Module:
Something Allowing the programmer to send the videos/pictures that people will inevitably put on their BUGs to a TV using either component or composite (maybe one module for each or if possible one that has both).

Module Multiplier:
A hub like thing for modules. donno if this will work due to the devision of power but it is an interesting concept for for those of us who might like to have 5 or maybe 6 modules. maybe the tripod mount could be used as stabilization.

Modu module:
I don't know if you are making this already but I think that there could be SO MANY beautiful possibilities.
For those that don't know what Modu is, goto modumobile [dot] com (it would be a link but they won't let me link yet due to spamming rules)

Cam Module with neck:
This might be a DIY project by modifying a standard Cam Module to have a long flexible neck for hiding in clothing. I'm weird with the fact that I can't have a camera in the open sometimes but still want pictures (I am a renaissance fair participant).

Laser Heat/Distance Module:
having a laser diode put into a module is easy and so is a burning laser diode but the harder one would be a heat sensing laser or a laser that can read distance. this might be in the DIY category but I am not familiar with the internal workings of those lasers so I don't know how difficult it would be to send the data back to the base.

Multi-touch Display:
preferably double wide but maybe one that is single and one that is double.

Industrial Infrared:
instead of commercial infrared, these can basically bounce around walls and down hallways for greater distance. I have had nice Universal remotes with this type of Infrared. use this with the double width touch screen and you could have a freakishly awesome universal remote control

Vibrator Module:
I am thinking of the alerting abilities - not the... pleasurable ones.

Retinal Scanner:
Hell why not. there is a finger print scanner, I thought I would mention this just for the hell of it even though I don't know who would buy it or why you would need as much security as retinal can provide. though cataloging retinas would be pretty cool.

Rotational Sensors:
for things like tilt or most anything that the wii-mote can do.
Feb 8, 2008 11:56pm
Tgeahre 8 posts

Topic: BUGmodules / The Teleporter

Please excuse my squirrely ignorance but what is the teleporter?