BUG Community

Welcome! Log In

Forums Recent Posts

Subscribe to Recent Posts 12,499 posts found

Feb 22, 2008 4:58am
User_img_not_found_05_med enicky 24 posts

Topic: BUG SDK / Eclipse tips & tricks

Have been using eclipse for about 7 years or so … 4 years osgi … including embedded systems :)

Feb 21, 2008 6:04am
code_slave 12 posts

Topic: BUGbase / BMI Interface Details Available

What would be nice is a connector part number, or at least some measurements on how big it is.

Feb 20, 2008 5:38pm
Medium kgilmer 215 posts

Topic: BUGbase / BMI Interface Details Available

Hello ~

We’ve put up a diagram and description of the physical BMI connector and the pin outs here:

http://bugcommunity.com/wiki/index.php/BMI_Inte…

Feb 20, 2008 4:49pm
hzaida 38 posts

Topic: Meet & Greet / What's up, ya'll

Hawkwing6,

Welcome to the BUG Community! Did your Computer Applications 2 class get any better? :lol:

Cheers,
Heather

Feb 20, 2008 1:51pm
Medium kschultz 107 posts

Topic: BUG SDK / Eclipse tips & tricks

I know there are going to be (probably already are) some out there in the BUG community new to Eclipse development, so I thought I’d post some stuff I found useful when I was first learning it. First off, short cut keys.

Shortcut keys:
http://tkramar.blogspot.com/2007/10/effective-e…

Also, in Eclipse shift+alt+q+h brings up a cheat sheet of the shortcuts

A lot of useful stuff can be found in Help->Java Development User Guide->Tips & Tricks

I also found just right clicking on any warnings or errors will get you familiar with the quick fix/assist easily.

One of the nice things for me is the code generation, if you right click on a class and click source (or shift+alt+s) you can get a lot of useful stuff, I use the "generate getters and setters" every time I make a class.
Eclipse will do a lot of other code generation, constructors, surrounding blocks of code with comments, try/catch blocks, and refactor code (shift+alt+r renames variables/classes, I use that a lot), all is available by just right clicking on a class or a block of code you have surrounded.

I have barely scratched the surface of it, but I have sped up my coding quite a bit from when I used Vi and g++. There is also an emacs mode if you want those keystrokes, go to Window->Preferences >General>Keys->Scheme and choose Emacs rather than Default.

Hope that helps a bit!

Feb 20, 2008 1:29pm
Medium kschultz 107 posts

Topic: Applications / Can i run Android on the BUGbase?

Here is an interesting article about OSGi vs Android:

http://www.adon-line.de/kunden/prosystBlog/?p=18

Feb 20, 2008 1:17pm
Hawkwing6 8 posts

Topic: Way Off Topic / Just at school

Geez, i’m so bored. I’m at school, in Computer Applications 2 class, and it is so easy. if anyone else can relate, please reply.

Feb 20, 2008 1:07pm
Hawkwing6 8 posts

Topic: Meet & Greet / What's up, ya'll

Hello everybody, Hope ya’ll doin’ great. I’m glad to have joined buglabs, and can’t wait ‘till the final release version comes out!!

Feb 19, 2008 10:33am
Medium mcaric 64 posts

Topic: BUGbase / Power requirements, watt and Ampere are unknown

Hi makt,

Thanks for your patience in waiting for a reply. I understand that it would be more meaningful to answer this question in terms of hourly current
requirements, since this is the way batteries are rated.

Power requirements are a function of system activity in terms of processor load, active interfaces, etc. A stand alone base will consume 40 to 80 mA (.080 Ampere) with the processor actively running at 532 MHz clock. These numbers will be considerably less if power management is active and the
processor is put in one of its lower power consumption modes based on activity.

There is an internal Li-ion battery capable of 1450 mA-hour starting from a fully charged state. Up to 4 battery modules can be attached to the base to
further extend its battery life. Each external battery module will add up to 800 mA-hr (for a total of 3200 mA-hr from 4 modules), bringing the total possible battery capacity for a single base to 5650 mA-hour. Operating time under maximum battery capacity (internal + external) is again a function of processor loading, but should on average exceed 80 hrs.

Thanks,
Melinda

Feb 19, 2008 9:06am
code_slave 12 posts

Topic: BUGbase / hardware question

Hi Kschultz,
Money is not usually an issue. when you are spending > 30,000US$ on an education!

I have a number of ideas related to a dissertation for my MSc.
If you understand the process, you will understand that I have to quote & reference all my sources and that includes myself.
which can make tracking dissertation references very difficult if you are discussing a project on several bbs systems.
That’s why I’m not getting into detail.

What I don’t want to do is spend another $700 US on useless hardware, value for money is the key here.

LCD displays do not need VGA connectors, and after checking out the data-sheet (http://www.freescale.com/files/32bit/doc/prod_b… ) I can see the chip is good up to 1024×1024 if you do not "abuse" the system, This is above my requirement and even gives me a nice edge.

Even bringing in a secondary graphics chip such as the Epson S1D13Xxx range , which already have linux drivers for arm written, would not be a major problem.

Hacking hardware holds no particular horrors for me, and I have access to significant resources, plastic toolmaking,metal stamping , Chip bonding, manufacture etc.
In fact given the Bug Schematics /case design and other details , I could probably turn it round from paper to hardware and final manufacture in about 30-45 days.(no I am not kidding )

The built in R/F version could potentially be the kiss of death, because the RF has to be certified in each country , then there are local product safety standards to meet.
Better the R.F is a separate module.(usb plug in), makes certifying the base station for basic EMC far easier, and production more streamlined.

To be honest it’s not the bug I’m interested in but rather the environment & software, which gives me speed to prototype my ideas,
But what I do not have is time as I’m working to a deadline.