BUG Community

Welcome! Log In

Forums Recent Posts

Subscribe to Recent Posts 12,499 posts found

Mar 3, 2008 1:04pm
acebanana 14 posts

Topic: Way Off Topic / Just at school

Dang man, sounds like it is definitly worth it. The only AP class I probably don’t think I would do good in is US history. I don’t know what it is, I just can’t handle any social studies classes. But hopefully it won’t be required for computer engineering…
But yea man, sounds great but I didn’t know the AP tests cost any money, but O well. I guess its worth it compared to tuition.

Mar 3, 2008 9:11am
alain.muse 9 posts

Topic: BUG SDK / Buglabs and UPnP

Hi all,

I planned to use the USB connector of the base to plug some devices.

I wonder whether the OSGi framework of the base supports the OSGi UPnP extension. If so, have you any library/project to recommend ?

Many thanks for your help,

Best regards,

Alain

Mar 3, 2008 9:07am
alain.muse 9 posts

Topic: BUG SDK / Filter expression not well-formed.

Hi all,

I updated Dragonfly with the latest release () last week-end and deployed a bundle that ran perfectly under the previous one.

This bundle is looking for the service "IButtonEventProvider" when the activator starts.The following exception is raised:
org.osgi.framework.InvalidSyntaxException: Filter expression not well-formed.
at ch.ethz.iks.concierge.framework.RFC1960Filter.fromString(RFC1960Filter.java:307)
at ch.ethz.iks.concierge.framework.Framework$BundleContextImpl.createFilter(Framework.java:1599)

Any idea of what is wrong ?

Many thanks for your help,

Best regards,

Alain
Mar 2, 2008 10:46pm
User_img_not_found_05_med wimora 10 posts

Topic: Suggestion Box / Which do you prefer: Mailing List or Newsgroup?

I’m with finsprings. I like the idea of a mailing list.

Mar 2, 2008 10:39pm

Topic: BUGbase / Slim line?

a BUGpda slim line. Full touch screen on the front, two BMI on the back. Make sure it has wireless/wifi, microphone, speaker, a gps, and a headphone jack.

I think this would handle everything that I can think of at the moment that I'd use on a regular basis and probably 95% of everything I'd ever do with the Bug.

Also, I saw that someone asked somewhere what the measurements and the weight of the base are but I don't remember ever seeing an answer. I guess what I really want to know is how big (and heavy) are the base, LCD and GPS together?
Mar 2, 2008 10:33pm

Topic: Java / new at programming

I have a few opinions to add.

Cameron, I’m not too far ahead of you. About 7 years ago I took a java class but I’ve rarely done anything serious with it since. From time to time I’d get out the old textbook and monkey around with it for awhile but I’m not an engineer and I don’t work in the IT field. I’ve also messed around with C++, Visual Basic, and PBASIC (which is specifically for a microcontroller). Basically, I’m a casual hobbyist. I can usually get done what I really want but between the lack of knowledge and experience I have and the time I have to devote to it it can take a LONG time.

If you want to learn programming to work with the Bug it makes sense to me to learn java instead of starting with something else. To me the language you use is just a tool. They all have their own advantages and disadvantages and you may as well learn the tool that will help you do want interests you.

I bought the Head First Java book and it is really good for the conceptual part. I’ve just started it but I think I may actually get a handle on some concepts that totally evaded me before. It is much more interesting than most books that I’ve seen and used and more geared to teaching concepts than just giving examples. The downfall of that book to me is that it seems a bit light on different kinds of code examples.

(Personally, I’m looking for some information specific to AWT everything I seem to find is oriented toward Swing and I don’t know how to relate that to working in AWT. – Any advice on that? – Kevin’s tutorials are great examples but I’m still having trouble making things work the way I want.)

The book I used to have was by Deitel and Deitel. They do "How to Program _" books. This is a lot more like what I think of as a textbook but it is not as interesting. Things are explained in detail but not well from a novices point of view. There are plenty of good code examples though (at least in the old edition that I had, I assume they haven’t changed much.)

Melinda mentioned the Java Ranch website. It is a bit cheesy but a great place for beginner to intermediate stuff. I learned a lot there (and still could I think). They have some interesting tasks to suggest you try and some good code examples.

The stuff directly from Sun is pretty difficult to me to make a lot of use of it. If I know exactly what I’m looking for it can sometimes be helpful but you have to know how to look things up and what it means when you get there. It seems more for an advanced user.

Mar 2, 2008 6:35am
somchaya 3 posts

Topic: BUGmodules / Frame rate for BUGcam2MP

Hi Melinda,

Thanks for the answer. While you’re looking into the other questions, could you also check if the frame rate of the camera can be increased if the resolution went down? Like for example, 30 fps at 640×480 or something like that. 10 frames per second would be a little slow for the applications I have in mind :D

Thanks a lot!

Mar 2, 2008 6:25am
code_slave 12 posts

Topic: BUG SDK / SDK "screen" size

Hi guys,
you need to be a little more defensive in your programing, otherwise you will be spending more and more time "cleaning up".
Get as much as you can into prop files.

Mar 1, 2008 7:02pm
Medium kschultz 107 posts

A few suggestions:

Start out with Eclipse and do some standard Java programs. The Dragonfly SDK is just a plugin for Eclipse, but there is a bit of overhead for managing when the program starts/stops on the BUG that you don't want to deal with at first.

I learned Java originally from the official Java =http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/tutorial

Have you programmed in other languages before? If not it might be easier to learn a different language first real quick i.e. Python or Ruby and then learn Java after. Java is not hard at all (i.e. you don't have to worry about memory, lots of libraries of stuff to use) but it is a bit verbose which is a distraction at first. For example to print a line in python is

print "Hello World"

whereas in java it is

System.out.println("Hello World");

But on the other hand, Java never really gets more complex than that, it is just a bunch of objects and libraries.

If you need any help, feel free to ask,
Mar 1, 2008 5:32pm
User_img_not_found_06_med cameronmclau... 8 posts

Can I use dragonfly as the program for these books or do you suggest to use another program.