BUG Community

Welcome! Log In

Forums Recent Posts

Subscribe to Recent Posts 12,499 posts found

Mar 5, 2008 9:12am
alain.muse 9 posts

Topic: BUG SDK / Buglabs and UPnP

Hi again Melinda ;)

Thanks for your answer, I will download one of those bundles and will come back if I face any problem.

Once again,

Many thanks for your help !!!

Alain

Mar 5, 2008 9:07am
alain.muse 9 posts

Topic: BUG SDK / Filter expression not well-formed.

Hi Melinda,

I’ve just found the error: Eclipse did not refresh its workspace. I had to clean and rebuild all the projects before exporting the bundle (some classes may be missing).

Sorry for this stupid alert,

Thank you for your help,

Alain

Mar 4, 2008 8:36pm
Medium kschultz 107 posts

Topic: BUGbase / Slim line?

For comparison the Ipod weighs 5.7 oz so the base is actually smaller/lighter than the Ipod. I have been kinding of thinking of it as 2 ipods stuck together when you have the modules on it.

Mar 4, 2008 8:34pm

Topic: Java / new at programming

I don’t think that programming for the BUG is harder than general Java programming, there is a little boilerplate but that is all generated by the SDK, you just ignore it for the most part. The thing that differentiates the BUG from the other stuff out there is how well the stuff is brought into Java.

Here is a great example, if you want to get your current location via GPS, with the BUG this is the line of code:

currentPosition = position.getLattidudeLongitude();

There isn’t anything out there that will be easier than that, I was kind of blown away by it when I started playing around with the BUG.

Try out the SDK though, it will give you a feel for it.

Mar 4, 2008 7:39pm
User_img_not_found_05_med wimora 10 posts

Thanks!
I’ve just been wondering about carrying this thing around in a pocket.
Hmm…

Mar 4, 2008 6:39pm
User_img_not_found_06_med cameronmclau... 8 posts

Should I get the bug or should I hold off until I get a little more experience with writing in java.

Thanks,

Cameron

Mar 4, 2008 6:25pm
Medium mcaric 64 posts

Hello wimora,

Here are the weights of the units:

Weights
Complete Box with product – 2lb 2.75oz
Base – 5.375 oz
LCD 1.5 oz
Camera 1.25 oz
Motion and GPS
1.125oz
Power adapter – 5.5 oz

As for the measurements, I do my best to get those for you shortly :)

Thanks,
Melinda

Mar 4, 2008 3:46pm
bmartinek 22 posts

Topic: BUGmodules / I/O on the vonHippel Module

Any word on the Von Hippel module yet?

I am hoping to connection some potentiometers and this info is really a crucial bit of information. I guess this can be done via USB but this is one more lever of hardware abstraction ( A/D USB card) to deal with.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Ben

Mar 4, 2008 3:43pm
akravets 25 posts

Agree with Kevin here, writing code, encountering mistakes and errors is the best way to learn.
However, when you do need some help here are some resources that I use:

javaranch.com - great forum for Java questions and tutorials.

#java IRC channel on irc.freenode.net - when you need answers right away.

SCJP Sun Certified Programmer for Java 5 Study Guide http://tinyurl.com/32km8x - this is my favorite book. It gets right to the point on all topics without all the unnecessary discussions that other books might have.
Mar 4, 2008 2:18pm

Topic: Suggestion Box / Which do you prefer: Mailing List or Newsgroup?

aroman
Kshultz,

With a newsgroup anyone can download all the content since message #1 irrespective of when they join the list. This is useful when someone wants to search the mailing list on the go (not connected to the web: airplane, secure lab, camping (lol), etc.). Then again, maybe there are only a handful of people like myself that would benefit from this. **Note: I know I can download the archive, but this has been painful in the past.

Most mail clients show newsgroups as a separate mailbox which creates the illusion of the messages being "pushed" to you like your e-mail.

In addition to the ability to browse all the content off-line, I'ld like the ability of using my own client and my own device; not just a web browser. Think nokia n810, blackberry, iphone, heck even a BUG. I know some devices have excellent web browsers, however, do you really prefer a web ui over the mail client for message thread viewing? This point is not in favor of either approach since both address it equally well.

-Angel

Is there a public facing way to get the archives of the forum? I see what you mean about downloading it for use offline. But if that is the only reason to use UseNet wouldn't it be better to write a program that parses the forum archive into a usenet format than split the conversation into multiple places?