BUG Community

Welcome! Log In

Forums Recent Posts

Subscribe to Recent Posts 12,449 posts found

Feb 26, 2008 3:51pm
migizi 2 posts

Topic: BUGmodules / Module suggestions

Tueksta, ermin, 13moons: I have a freeware program called LibraryScan that scans barcodes using a webcam, so I know that it can be done.

Feb 26, 2008 2:27pm
Medium kschultz 107 posts

Topic: Way Off Topic / Just at school

Mech/Chem/Comp/Electrical/Civil Engineerings take the least of all majors here. Comp Sci is different, they have to take almost the normal amount. For me I just have to take 2 classes (6 credits) above the 300 level and I’m good, but I’m not sure what it is normally I knocked a lot of classes off with AP exams (US Gov is 3 credits, US History is 6, English Lit is 3). You would also normally have to take English 101 but I knocked it off with my SATs. All that extra time allows me to do Comp Sci & Mech Engineering where most people would only have time to do one or the other

That being said, my non-engineering classes where great. took an english class on perception of reality, so it was watch the Matrix and read Des Cartes and a bunch of sci-fi lit and write about it, it was great.I took my honors colloqium on theater and the guy who taught it had his own theater company in Philly and just won a grammy, he was a genius, I learned quite a bit about life in that class, forget theater.

I am going to take a couple history classes along the way too I’m sure, I love history & government classes, I love writing and speaking. I’m not a fan of assigned reading though I do like reading on my own time. I always find people who didn’t like history had a bad teacher, give it a shot in college with a better professor and you will probably like it. The thing that is cool about college classes is that you pick and choose. I don’t take an english 101 class, I take an english 101 class on something. I don’t take US History, I would take US History during the Civil Rights movement. When you get in depth, with a passionate prof, it is a lot more fun than trying to cram 300 years into 2 years of schooling.

I would also say if you think you want to do engineering, start there. You can transfer out of engineering into literally anything, but you can almost never transfer into engineering unless you are a math or physics major. Even going from Comp Sci to Comp Engineering is difficult. Switching among the engineerings is not hard though. I don’t know a single person in my major who came from outside of the engineerings, but I do know about 15 who went from engineering to something else when they found it was not for them.

Also it matters how the school breaks up its subjects. At our university there are colleges, and comp sci falls outside of the College of Engineering, it is in the College of Arts & Sciences. That means it has completely different guidelines for what classes to take. At some schools it goes even further and admissions is based on college, though here it is not that way. At University of Maryland you can get into the school as a non-engineer and be denied entry to the College of Engineering. I know Rutgers is that way too, possibly Penn State I don’t remember. Something to look at when it comes time to look at schools.

Feb 26, 2008 12:49pm
acebanana 14 posts

I was wondering, did you have to take ANY like english or history classes? Those have to be my two my hated subjects, and I wouldn’t mind majoring in like computer engineering or something, I just don’t want to have to take english and like history the whole time while I am in college :?

Feb 26, 2008 5:06am
Tueksta 12 posts

ermin, 13moons: i thought about UPCScanner, too, but I think it would be much easier to use the Camera for this, that way you can use two and more-dimensional UPC, too. I wonder if there are any open source libraries for recognition tools?

Feb 25, 2008 7:18pm
Silky 1 post

A module that would be useful in my opinion is one that acts like an interface for other, smaller modules, i.e. a flashlight or thermometer. Such things that can’t become a full-scale module. Now I realize that many of the things I have in mind are available through the USB, but I don’t want to risk damaging the ports while I’m carrying it around.

Feb 25, 2008 5:28pm
Medium kschultz 107 posts

Yea the rube goldberg was lame we didn’t have enough time, but the water balloon launcher was a lot of fun.

Feb 25, 2008 4:32pm
Kvjain 1 post

Topic: BUGmodules / GPS Module Sample Rate???

I’m looking to use the GPS module to essentially incorporate an odometer capability into a device, for highway speeds – so up to about 80 mph.

So wondering about the accuracy at speed – sounds like static accuracy may be as good as +/- 3 meters and then add in the potential movement during the time the reading is being made ?

KV Jain

Feb 25, 2008 4:17pm
Medium kgilmer 215 posts

Topic: BUG SDK / SDK "screen" size

Here is the bugzilla. Please add more if you find them!

http://bugcommunity.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?i…

Feb 25, 2008 4:11pm
Medium kgilmer 215 posts

Topic: BUGbase / Base form factor variants

Tueksta,

Yeah, those are some cool ideas. We are working on an extender cable so that modules don’t have to be directly attached to the base unit. A BUG Cube would be cool!

thx
ken

Feb 25, 2008 3:47pm
Medium kgilmer 215 posts

Topic: BUG SDK / SDK "screen" size

Hi code_slave,

Yeah good point, that stuff could use some clean up. I’ll file a bugzilla, thanks for the heads up. Note that if you’re looking to add a new module or display type you might be better off writing your own modlet. The code that Kevin referenced is intended only for the LCD module we are shipping on 3/17.