BUG Community

Welcome! Log In

Forums Recent Posts

Subscribe to Recent Posts 12,455 posts found

Mar 3, 2008 9:24pm
Medium kschultz 107 posts

Topic: Java / new at programming

I think the best way to learn is to just dive in. All the books and tutorials in the world don’t mean much until you hit an intractable error. I can hardly say I’m an expert but I find the books mean more to me after I’ve tried to do something and gotten stuck than before.

A good example, I have been wanting to learn more about software design and design patterns and I picked up a book at the library and read it over break, but it didn’t mean much until I started writing a big application this semester. Now I have a code base of about 35ish classes and its getting out of control so I need to figure out a better way to lay it out.

The biggest tip I have though is to find a project you want to do. If you try and sit down to "Learn Java" you will have no idea what to do. When I wanted to learn how to do graphics I started by making a bouncing ball, I learned a lot about openGL in the process. If I had just read a book on openGL, none of it would have stuck. The same thing applies to GUIs. I read a lot of tutorials on AWT before starting my tutorials, but not until I started making them did I realize what was important and what wasn’t. It is almost better to know nothing and look up each bit as you go. The first project on the subject matter ends up being poor, but the second time around it is easy, and you will probably get through two iterations this way faster than one if you tried reading a lot beforehand.

Like I said before, add me questions. I have a few programs I’m working on at the moment but I definitely will do more tutorials if I find more topics people want.

Mar 3, 2008 6:10pm
Medium mcaric 64 posts

Topic: BUG SDK / Buglabs and UPnP

Hi Alain,

The OSGi runtime we have is R3, so any bundle compatible with R3 should work with the bundle we have. If you have any projects in particular you would like us to have a look at we’d be happy to do so.

Thanks!
Melinda

Mar 3, 2008 6:08pm
Medium mcaric 64 posts

Topic: BUG SDK / Filter expression not well-formed.

Hi Alain,

Could you send me the mainfest file for the bundle?

Thanks,
Melinda

Mar 3, 2008 5:57pm
Medium finsprings 268 posts

Topic: Suggestion Box / Which do you prefer: Mailing List or Newsgroup?

Any chance you could turn off the "show list of subsribers" part?

I’m already getting spam from an email address I used on this forum and the email address I used on the bugzilla site. Luckily I use sneakemail.com for aliases so I was able to just delete those aliases, but of course now I won’t get bugzilla notifications until I create a new account since it uses your email address as your username.

Mar 3, 2008 5:40pm
Medium agordon 74 posts

By the way, for those of you interested in a mailing list, you can sign up at http://lists.buglabs.net.

Mar 3, 2008 2:05pm
Hawkwing6 8 posts

Topic: Way Off Topic / Just at school

You mean, of course, unless you have a great teacher like Mr. Irwin

Mar 3, 2008 1:04pm
acebanana 14 posts

Topic: Way Off Topic / Just at school

Dang man, sounds like it is definitly worth it. The only AP class I probably don’t think I would do good in is US history. I don’t know what it is, I just can’t handle any social studies classes. But hopefully it won’t be required for computer engineering…
But yea man, sounds great but I didn’t know the AP tests cost any money, but O well. I guess its worth it compared to tuition.

Mar 3, 2008 9:11am
alain.muse 9 posts

Topic: BUG SDK / Buglabs and UPnP

Hi all,

I planned to use the USB connector of the base to plug some devices.

I wonder whether the OSGi framework of the base supports the OSGi UPnP extension. If so, have you any library/project to recommend ?

Many thanks for your help,

Best regards,

Alain

Mar 3, 2008 9:07am
alain.muse 9 posts

Topic: BUG SDK / Filter expression not well-formed.

Hi all,

I updated Dragonfly with the latest release () last week-end and deployed a bundle that ran perfectly under the previous one.

This bundle is looking for the service "IButtonEventProvider" when the activator starts.The following exception is raised:
org.osgi.framework.InvalidSyntaxException: Filter expression not well-formed.
at ch.ethz.iks.concierge.framework.RFC1960Filter.fromString(RFC1960Filter.java:307)
at ch.ethz.iks.concierge.framework.Framework$BundleContextImpl.createFilter(Framework.java:1599)

Any idea of what is wrong ?

Many thanks for your help,

Best regards,

Alain
Mar 2, 2008 10:46pm
User_img_not_found_05_med wimora 10 posts

I’m with finsprings. I like the idea of a mailing list.