BUG Community

Welcome! Log In

Forums Recent Posts

Subscribe to Recent Posts 12,498 posts found

Jun 22, 2009 12:09am
User_img_not_found_01_med khan.henna 2 posts

Topic: Applications / Unable to send applications to My Bug.. Help!!

Hi

I am not able to send applications to my bug. I have tried everything. I am unable to send even HelloWorld. When I click on send to bug, it shows as successfully sent. But it doesnt show on the bug. Please tell me what I am doing wrong….

Thanks in advance.

Henna.

Jun 19, 2009 5:11am
User_img_not_found_05_med StephenB 3 posts

Topic: Official Updates / BUGbee available for purchase now!

G’day guys,

when I first looked at it my mind said “Solar panel”.   Could be a possibility for a future module.  Solar powered recharging.  If the powers down and your away from a plug :) ,  just plug in your solar panel module and charge it up.

Just thinking out loud.

clear skies

Stephen

Jun 18, 2009 5:02pm
Medium mehrshad 7 posts

Topic: Official Updates / BUGbee available for purchase now!

From BUGblogger:

“A couple weeks ago at JavaOne 2009, we announced the upcoming availability of BUGbee,
our 802.15.4 low-power radio module. Today, we’re excited to announce
that you can now purchase BUGbee from our store for $79 and get it
delivered to you by next week.

What can you do with BUGbee, you ask? Well, BUGbee is a low-power,
low-bandwidth radio module. It operates using the 802.15.4 protocol,
which transmits data in smaller packets than 802.11 devices. BUGbee
also offers the same, if not greater, transmission range of wi-fi
(theoretically up to 1,200 meters). And since it consumes far less
power than wifi, it’s perfect for battery-powered sensor applications.

And since over 64,000 devices can reside on the same BUGbee grid
(unlike 32 with wi-fi), you can build larger-scale intelligent grid
networks with BUGbee. This makes it suitable for home automation,
energy monitoring, industrial machine-to-machine (M2M), supply-chain
logistics and more.

At JavaOne, we demonstrated BUGbeeChat,
a peer-to-peer IM client that lets two BUGs chat with each other
without a 802.11 wi-fi connection. We also have several applications
currently in development by our customers that we look forward to
sharing with you soon. For now, hop into our forums or IRC and let us
know what you plan on building with your BUGbee.”

Jun 9, 2009 2:44pm
User_img_not_found_03_med Raynentye 10 posts

Topic: Suggestion Box / RS-232/485 Visual Interface

Hi jconnolly,

I am sorry, I didn’t mean to to say emulate a RS-232, I ment to say emulate Hyperterminal.

Using the BUGVonHippel to interface with the Long Range Radio was what I thinking, but also using a BUGview to see and manipulte the information. It may be quite possible that Bug Labs equipment may be too far advanced for this project…

Jun 9, 2009 11:39am
Medium jconnolly 285 posts

Hi Raynentye,

The VonHippel module (specs here) has built-in RS232.  Not really sure what you mean by emulating the RS232 interface.  But you should be able to use a BUG to communicate over RS232.  Hope this helps.  and welcome!

Jun 9, 2009 1:12am
User_img_not_found_03_med Raynentye 10 posts

Ok, I’m quite new with BugLabs when it comes to their potential (endless? I assume?) and this has true real world potential, at least for myself.

I’m a Fire Alarm Technician. Yeah, I know, I get it all the time. (A wha?) I’m the guy that gets called out when a really loud noise wakes you up at 2 in the morning to evacuate you out of your warm, cozy bed, and the Fire Department can’t figure out that somewhat sophisticated piece of equipment stuck on the wall that caused all the noise in the first place.

I say somewhat sophisticated because once you’ve sheilded your eyes from all the flashing lights and dig beyond the wiring, its a truly basic microprocessor monitoring either open contacts (conventional) or an analog or digitally poled loop of two wire addressable devices (addressable).

Most of the addressable panels utilize a RS-232 serial port to communicate to a computer terminal and/or printer. The computer terminal is either acting like a remote virtual printer or is actually being used as the control point of the Fire Alarm Control Panel (from now on designated as FACP). The printer, quite obviously, is for hardcopy evidence. Sometimes a RS-485 point is used as an annunciation loop to feed from the panel out to remote, standalone control points (annunciators) to remotely view and control basic functions of the FACP.

Being a field technician, I have to either test and maintain these panels or troubleshoot issues with them. Ninty percent of the time, it is ideal to have a second person at the FACP with a two way radio to communicate and at times to take action when I need them to do so. Unfortunately, I do not always have the luxury of a second person.

Over the years I’ve developed an interface using off the shelf components such as long range proprietary radios and a laptop running Hyperterminal in order to rectify my second person issue. However, if I could strap something as small as a BugBase with a few BugModules emulating my RS-232 interface to my long range radio, this would be ideal!

I’m not really sure what I’d need for custom button interface, but if I had to guess, I’d say a numerical interface, including # and * as well as four additional buttons.

Would it at least be possible to emulate an RS-232 interface?

Jun 8, 2009 6:29pm
Medium roland 11 posts

Topic: BUGmodules / bugGPS module defective? how can I tell?

thanks john, will check out 1.4.1 this week! and let you all know if it solves my GPS issue!

Jun 8, 2009 4:52pm
Medium jconnolly 285 posts

We’ve just pushed R1.4.1 live, so if you’re looking for a fixed GPS API (among other new sweetness) check out 

http://buglabs.net/downloads/

with release notes:

http://bugcommunity.com/wiki/index.php/R1.4.1_R…

Jun 5, 2009 5:20pm
Medium bcruskie 45 posts

Topic: Meet & Greet / Open Source?

We’ve reorganized our wiki a bit, here is the direct link to the page discussed.

http://bugcommunity.com/wiki/index.php/Hardware…

Jun 5, 2009 5:08pm
Medium bcruskie 45 posts

Yes you are right Roland.

When refactoring the API in R1.4 we introduced a defect with Antenna state.