BUG Community

Welcome! Log In

Forums Recent Posts

Subscribe to Recent Posts 12,498 posts found

Sep 23, 2009 2:50am
User_img_not_found_03_med fiil123 14 posts

Topic: BUGmodules / Phidgets in the USB on the vonHippel

Hey guys

I consider buying one or two Phidgets boards to play with on our bug’s. Have anybody tried
this? I can see you have them in the test kitchen, but I can’t find any resource
on it! If you have not tried it, can somebody then say if it should be possible
or maybe any ideas to something similarly.

Cheers

K. Fiil

Sep 22, 2009 3:44pm
Medium jconnolly 285 posts

Topic: BUGbase / Bugwifi and windows-xp

Absolutely, though jslp (the API that allows for the automatic disovery of your BUG from within the SDK) tends to be a bit flaky.  If your BUG doesn’t come up automatically, you can manually define the IP address of your BUG within the “My BUGs” view:

Right click in My BUGs view pane

Select New BUG Connection

Enter name and IP address of BUG

If you’re not sure of your BUGs ip address, you can always use the base menu to determine it:

Settings->IPAddress->eth1

Sep 22, 2009 3:37pm
User_img_not_found_01_med buguser 17 posts

thanks jconnolly,

i will try that out,

also, is it possible to use dragonfly over wifi ?

Sep 22, 2009 1:32pm

I’m sorry buguser I’ve never seen a lockup on the BUG side as a result of USB networking.  One thing you can try is to change where syslogd saves the kernel messages (presumably from ssh over wifi):

vi /etc/syslog.conf

change the line where it says:

LOGFILE=/var/log/messages

to

LOGFILE=/home/root/messages

/etc/init.d/syslog restart

Try the driver again, and if it freezes, next time give me the content of that log.

Sep 22, 2009 1:23pm

hello jconnolly,

thanks for the update.

bugwifi crashes while installing the driver, (screen does not respond, buttons on the front panel LCD dont respond, loses wifi connectivity, cannot interact with bugwifi at all)

(tried on couple of different xp laptops, same issue, i am just going through the startup sequence as mentioned on the bug site)

Another question, does it work with xp and sp2 ?

Also i need the ethernet over USB so that i can connect dragonfly to download apps ?

can it do over wifi ?

Sep 22, 2009 10:23am

Hello buguser,

We have verified and tested that USB networking on Windows XP SP3 (32 bit) does indeed work, and that the driver installation should be fine.  Can you give me some more information about what you’re seeing go wrong?

1) Windows installs the driver automatically?  Are you sure that you installed linux.inf manually? 

2) What do you mean by crashes the BUG?  Does the base LCD menu navigate?  Can you touch the LCD screen and get responsiveness? 

On another note, USB networking is cumbersome and, especially within windows—where bridging the RNDIS/Gadget traffic out through another interface can be annoying—pretty limiting.  Is there a particular reason you’re interested in USB networking instead of wifi?

Sep 21, 2009 4:59pm

Topic: BUGbase / Bugwifi and wifi connectivity

Ah, I see.  I’ll look into the connman documentation and get back to you.  One alternative, non-gui solution is to create an init script that runs upon boot:  http://bugcommunity.com/wiki/index.php/Configur…

Your config would look more like:

network={
ssid=”My Wireless Network”
key_mgmt=NONE
}

Sep 21, 2009 4:49pm

i guess the real issue is that i use mac-address filtering on my wifi AP (no passphrase/WEP key required),

so i dont get that option at all.

Sep 21, 2009 4:41pm

Topic: BUGbase / bugview calibration

thanks brian

Sep 21, 2009 4:39pm

Thanks jconnolly,

that app can really help.

otherwise, i can connect to the wifi ap (manually) , then open ssh from my PC over wifi and remove the files as suggested.

this can really help  to operate the bug w/o needing to connect the bug-view every time.

cheers