BUG Community

Welcome! Log In

Forums Recent Posts

Subscribe to Recent Posts 12,499 posts found

Sep 24, 2009 2:32pm
Medium jconnolly 285 posts

Topic: Applications / Upgrading OLD BUG Kernel

Hi co149, you’re best off migrating to uboot and just flashing your SD card.  I’ll whip together some steps to get this done and repost shortly.

Sep 24, 2009 2:25pm
Medium bballantine 56 posts

Topic: BUGmodules / Phidgets in the USB on the vonHippel

I’ve never used Phidgets, but from what I see, they work over USB, so they should work with the Von Hippel.  If Phidgets have other connection methods (Serial, Digital IO) then the Von Hippel will also help there.  Here’s more info on that module: http://bugcommunity.com/wiki/index.php/Von_Hippel

I have no idea about using the Phidgets Java API on the BUG base.  A brief look at the phidgets software stack shows that it’s based on a C library.  That would need to be compiled for the BUG, most likely using the OpenEmbedded build tools, which may not be easy.  This blog post might be useful if you decide to head down the path of porting phidgets to BUG: http://community.buglabs.net/bballantine/posts/...

Lastly, the stock Java VM on the BUG is called PhoneME Advanced Personal Profile, which is more like Java SE 1.4.  To run Java 1.5 code, you need to install cacao and classpath, which are available in our extras repo.  Info on that is here: http://community.buglabs.net/jconnolly/posts/14…

Regards,

Brian

Sep 24, 2009 2:06pm

Topic: BUGbase / Bugwifi and windows-xp

Oh… heh… I see jconnolly already responded.  Collision!

Sep 24, 2009 2:04pm

buguser,

There may be a couple of reasons an app won’t start.  Many of them are written to depend on certain modules being plugged in or OSGi services available.  When you see “ignoring dead app” in your log, it usually means that somehow the app failed and the OSGi environment put it in a state where you can’t use it.  I’m not sure why it happened, but re-uploading the same application should solve it.  Otherwise, you might have to clean out the Concierge (OSGi) storage directory.

There are instructions on how to do that here: http://bugcommunity.com/wiki/index.php/Reset_BUG, you can also ssh into the BUG and remove the /usr/share/java/storage directory.  Some (not many) BUG apps save data in that storage dir and in both cases, that data will be lost.

-Brian

Sep 24, 2009 2:00pm

Hi Buguser,

This can happen if there is something that went wrong loading the application (i.e. an exception is raised the first time the app is loaded).  The UserAppManager prevents the app from trying to load again, thereby (in theory) preventing the app from bringing down the framework.  To clean out the cached erring apps, you can remove the jar from /usr/share/java/apps, and clean out storage with

/etc/init.d/concierge stop

rm -fr /usr/share/java/storage

/etc/init.d/concierge start

You should then  be able to try loading the app again, and get more relevant stacktrace information about the erring app.

Sep 24, 2009 12:48pm
User_img_not_found_06_med co149 2 posts

Topic: Applications / Upgrading OLD BUG Kernel

I’m running an old HiroP with 1.0RC2 on it, so I want to make sure I’m clear (and not about to brick the unit…)

Can I just go from 1.0 to 1.3 by grabbing bug_kflash onto the unit and doing the flash (and taking care of the rootfs)?  Do I have to stop at 1.1 and 1.2?  (If so, are there different rootfs images for 1.1 and 1.2?)

I feel like I’ve left myself too far behind… :)

Sep 24, 2009 11:59am
User_img_not_found_04_med kiA 1 post

Topic: BUGmodules / Phidgets in the USB on the vonHippel

Hi, I’m looking at this the other way … I’m a phidgets user and wondering if the phidgets java API would work on the bugbase?

also, do two von hippels work on one bugbase?

thanks, Ki

Sep 24, 2009 3:39am
User_img_not_found_01_med buguser 17 posts

see the following in concierge log when transfering LCDbright to the bug

————————————————————————————-
Tue Jan 27 10:57:44 UTC 1970 AppManager checking /usr/share/java/apps/LCDbright.jar
Tue Jan 27 10:57:44 UTC 1970 Ignoring dead app /usr/share/java/apps/LCDbright.jar

Sep 24, 2009 2:03am
User_img_not_found_01_med buguser 17 posts

jconnolly ,

even though i am able to send java apps to bug successfully, sometimes the apps dont get started , the concierge log does not show tha the corresponding jar is invoked, what might be wrong ?

Sep 23, 2009 2:17pm

Yeah I didn’t write that one but it looks like there’s something weird going on where if you build the project, or clean it (like if you have Build Automatically checked in the project menu) it will erase all those class files because there are no .java (source) files in the libSWT project.  I would comment on kschultz’s libswt app and ask him to include the sources for that reason.