BUG Community

Welcome! Log In

Forums Recent Posts

Subscribe to Recent Posts 12,499 posts found

Oct 14, 2009 12:19pm
User_img_not_found_01_med vendion 1 post

Topic: Meet & Greet / Hello I'm new here and thinking of getting a Bug

Hello, I am new here I heard about the Bug from FLOSS Weekly and was interested in it.  I just want to know what kind of things have people done with their bug, I have looked though the apps and the different modules available for it and I truely am impressed.  Maybe hearing some ideas from people that use or own one can help me decide if this is something I want to get.

Oct 14, 2009 10:02am
User_img_not_found_06_med slawi.m 2 posts

Topic: BUGbase / BUG energy supply & internet connection

Hello!

I’m interested in buying theBUGbas WIFI and the BUGvonHipple for a project.

The target of the project is to build up a portable system which is able to measure the light intensity of the current location.

I am planning to use the BUG to transmit the measured values to a server over the internet (Measurement made by vonHipple; 3x a day)

My Questions:

1. How long does the battery of the BUG last without being recharged?
  2. Can the “life time” of the system be extended by additional batteries?
  3. Is it possible to connect a USB-UMTS-Stick to the vonHipple Module to establish an Internet connection (for the data transmission).

Thanks,

Markus

Oct 14, 2009 7:31am
User_img_not_found_01_med Kerba 4 posts

Topic: Way Off Topic / Survey: How does open source influence the community?

Hello,

as promised, here you can find my first release of aggregated survey
results:

http://open-innovation-projects.org/my-research#part2

Cheers
Kerba

Oct 14, 2009 2:43am
User_img_not_found_01_med palpeyev 3 posts

Topic: Meet & Greet / Reporter Seeking Interview Subjects

Hi.  My name is Pavel Alpeyev and I’m a Tokyo-based technology
reporter with Bloomberg News. I am writing a story about Open Source
Hardware centered on Bug Labs and would like to include a voice from an
actual user.

The story will highlight innovation made possible
by the open approach to development. In other words, if you use an
accelerometer to wirelessly map road bumpiness to Google Maps, or  a
motion-detecting security camera that Twitts pictures to your iPhone,
or something of the kind—please mail me at palpeyev@bloomberg.net ... If it’s just a GPS-enabled digital camera, well, you’re still a rockstar in my world!

Why
should you bother? Aside from exposure to possibly thousands of readers
in the business community, a chance to share text space with Peter Semmelhack and Eric von Hippel, whom I’ve already interviewed.

Thank you in advance

Oct 14, 2009 1:56am
User_img_not_found_01_med palpeyev 3 posts

Topic: Way Off Topic / Reporter Seeking Interview Subjects

Hi.  My name is Pavel Alpeyev and I’m a Tokyo-based technology reporter with Bloomberg News. I am writing a story about Open Source Hardware centered on Bug Labs and would like to include a voice from an actual user.

The story will highlight innovation made possible by the open approach to development. In other words, if you use an accelerometer to wirelessly map road bumpiness to Google Maps, or  a motion-detecting security camera that Twitts pictures to your iPhone, or something of the kind—please mail me at palpeyev@bloomberg.net ... If it’s just a GPS-enabled digital camera, well, you’re still a rockstar in my world!

Why should you bother? Aside from exposure to possibly thousands of readers in the business community, a chance to share text space with Peter Semmelhack and Eric von Hippel, whom I’ve already interviewed.

Thank you in advance

Oct 13, 2009 3:38pm
Medium bcruskie 45 posts

Topic: BUGmodules / GPS I/O Exception

Great, please let us know your results Jer. We can always ship you the replacements and have you send us back the hardware after receive them.

Brian

Oct 13, 2009 3:32pm
User_img_not_found_04_med blprnt 19 posts

All combinations of base + GPS module resulted in the same error. We have two bases, one of which has had the file system updated and one which hasn’t. 

The error seems to be fairly inconsistent – it always happens but sometimes it takes a long time (10 minutes or so) to start reporting in the concierge log.

I guess we’ll have to send these things back. We’re having an open house tomorrow which we’ll need to have them around for – we’ll try to ship them back on Thursday.

-Jer

Oct 13, 2009 3:00pm
User_img_not_found_04_med blprnt 19 posts

Hi Guys,

Sorry for not checking into the thread for a while Long weekend.

I have two bases and two GPS modules – I’m just in the process of testing all 4 combinations to try to figure out what is the limiting factor here. 

I will let you know what happens. Worse comes to worse we can send both bases and both GPS units back, but we are heavy in the middle of dev and would rather not lose these units.

-Jer

Oct 12, 2009 11:02am
Medium bcruskie 45 posts

Hey Guys,

Just discussed this issue with the Dev team and we’d like to get these units and GPS modules back in house to look at the issue.

Please send an email to support@buglabs.net requesting an RMA for the BUGbase and GPS module with the following information:

• Order number
  • URL to this topic

They will set you up with a Return fedex shipping label and get a new Base and GPS module out to you.

Sorry for the inconvienence and thank you for your patience.

-Brian

Oct 12, 2009 10:34am
Medium bcruskie 45 posts

Hey Adam,

I’m stumped on this one. I’ve been trying to reproduce for the past week with no luck. There could be a possiblitly that we had a bad run of GPS modules but it certainly seems driver related.

Here is the info on your finding your Rootfs version: http://bugcommunity.com/wiki/index.php/Determin…

As far as your other questions I will see if Ken Gilmer, our Dev lead, has any suggestions.

Thanks,

Brian