BUG Community

Welcome! Log In

Forums Recent Posts

Subscribe to Recent Posts 12,498 posts found

Oct 19, 2009 8:11pm
User_img_not_found_04_med blprnt 19 posts

Topic: BUGmodules / BUGcam limitations - latency & possible workarounds

Hi,

I am part of an artist team working on a project at Emily Carr University for the 2010 Olympics here in Vancouver. We are trying to build a network of autonomous camera-enabled devices that can be embedded in objects, used to document performances, and send images into a central ‘hub’. BUG seemed like it could be an ideal solution so we ordered a couple of bases and a handful of modules to test.

Let me say before I start with questions that I’m not a very good programmer – at least in any kind of device-level context. I can find my way around a Java package, but so far my experience with the BUG SDK has been fairly duct-tape-ish.

I’ve been working with the camera module for the last couple of days and have hit some stumbling blocks.

The camera module captures at 1600×1200 and from what I have gathered this is in a raw format of some kind, which is sent to the device and encoded into a JPEG by the base and stored. Can this resolution be changed? Is there a quicker compression method that could be used? Basically I’m wondering if there’s any way to improve the latency of the system – it seems to take around 5 seconds to take a photo and package it for a web service, etc.

Can the 1600×1200 default resolution be changed? It’s nice to be able to have hi-res images but I imagine dropping the size would also drop the latency.

I managed to implement ImageMagick today with help from jconnelly – while that makes the size of the saved files smaller, it doesn’t seem to improve the delay.

Are there any other options for this? I read this thread which talks about connecting a webcam through the BUG VH module via v4l2:

http://www.buglabs.net/applications/Cammotion

If the camera had on-board compression, I imagine this would take care of a lot of the problem?

Has anyone had experience with cams and BUG? I am willing to put a fair amount of time into this but at this point we have to figure out wether or not BUG will be suitable for our project. I’d sure like it if they were…!

-Jer

Oct 19, 2009 5:25pm
Medium agibb 8 posts

Topic: BUGmodules / GPS I/O Exception

Hi,

I reproduced the error, and then I killed java and restarted it for a fix. Not sure if this will fix it for everyone here, after fixing it I couldn’t reproduce the GPS error again. Here are the steps I took:

1. Unplugged GPS

2. in your terminal, as root type the following after the hashtag (root@bug:#): 

root@bug:# killall -9 java-cdc

root@bug:#sync
root@bug:
# rm -fr /usr/share/java/storage
root@bug:# sync
root@bug:
# /etc/init.d/concierge restart && tail -f /var/log/concierge.log

Then I plugged the module back in and it was still complainnig, so I killed it rebooted by typing this in the terminal:

root@bug:# rm -fr /usr/share/java/storage
root@bug:
# sync
root@bug:# killall -9 java-cdc
root@bug:
# reboot

Once it was rebooted, I plugged the gps back in. If any steps are confusing, just email me at alicia@buglabs.net

Let us know if that worked!

Happy Hacking,

Alicia

Oct 19, 2009 5:09pm
Medium bcruskie 45 posts

Hey Guys,

We finally reproduced this error in house. I think we can hold off on RMA’ing your units while we continue to look at the issue.

Thanks for everything and sorry for taking your time up on contacting support.

I will keep you updated,

Brian

Oct 19, 2009 10:31am
Medium jconnolly 285 posts

Topic: Applications / Including a Java Project in a BUG Project

Hi jpdelacroix,

The BUG runtime has no notion of your Java Build Path in eclipse, the OSGi way is to list the package namespace to be imported in your Import-Package: declaration in your MANIFEST.MF.  The Framework will then know to load the corresponding bundle to satisfy the required imports.  Have a look over at the rather detailed tutorial here:

http://bugcommunity.com/wiki/index.php/Baby_Mon…

Oct 17, 2009 1:36am
Medium limnephilidae 5 posts

I will contact support.

As an FYI for anyone else who reads this thread, my bug version is 1.4.2 according to the date:

root@bug:~# cat /etc/buildinfo

BUG Linux Build Information

Thu Jul 16 16:27:15 EDT 2009

Build Image: bug-image-production-R1.4

Linux darner 2.6.24-23-server #1 SMP Mon Jan 26 01:36:05 UTC 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Oct 16, 2009 11:57pm
Medium jpdelacroix 3 posts

Topic: Applications / Including a Java Project in a BUG Project

Hi,

I’m using Eclipse and I have two projects. The first is a BUG project I created using the Dragonfly SDK and the second is a regular Java Project. I would like to use the code from the Java Project in the BUG Project without copying it all over (since the Java Project is a rather large project). I included the Java Project in the BUG project (via the Build Path); however, when I try to run the BUG application I get the following type of error:

org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Error starting bundle Bundle [38]: file:/usr/share/java/apps/MotionDetection.jar
        at ch.ethz.iks.concierge.framework.BundleImpl.startBundle(Unknown Source)
        at ch.ethz.iks.concierge.framework.BundleImpl.start(Unknown Source)
        at com.buglabs.osgi.shell.commands.concierge.Start.execute(Unknown Source)
        at com.buglabs.osgi.shell.internal.ConsoleListener.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.Thread.startup(Unknown Source)
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com.example.HelloJava

I’ve copied over the jar from the BUG to my desktop, and it doesn’t contain any of the files from the Java Project it would need to run.

So my question is, how do you I properly include a Java Project in a BUG project?

Thank you,
JP

Oct 16, 2009 4:34pm
Medium jconnolly 285 posts

Topic: BUGbase / Power requirements, watt and Ampere are unknown

As a result of some development work done by Vipapun Thavisri, we have more accurate, granular measurements of BUG power consumption, as well as a number of handy ways to customize your BUG for lower power applications:

http://bugcommunity.com/wiki/index.php/Power_Co…

Oct 15, 2009 6:49pm
User_img_not_found_05_med jimbo 1 post

Topic: Way Off Topic / new guy

If i have no experience with linux based operating systems what are the odds of catching on and being able to use bug systems with ease.. its it just a case of getting the products, downloading apps and go or does it require more programming?

thanks.

Oct 15, 2009 4:15am
User_img_not_found_01_med palpeyev 3 posts

Topic: BUGbase / BUG for a car surveillance?

Pete,

Did you have any progress with this?

Oct 14, 2009 12:19pm
User_img_not_found_01_med vendion 1 post

Topic: Meet & Greet / Hello I'm new here and thinking of getting a Bug

Hello, I am new here I heard about the Bug from FLOSS Weekly and was interested in it.  I just want to know what kind of things have people done with their bug, I have looked though the apps and the different modules available for it and I truely am impressed.  Maybe hearing some ideas from people that use or own one can help me decide if this is something I want to get.