BUG Community

Welcome! Log In

Forums Recent Posts

Subscribe to Recent Posts 12,499 posts found

Oct 22, 2009 12:36am
User_img_not_found_04_med blprnt 19 posts

Topic: BUGmodules / BUGcam limitations - latency & possible workarounds

Thanks for the responses.

What I need to be able to do is to capture and store image sequences. Ideally these could be adjustable so that we could get slow image sequences with hi-res captures (1600×1200) or fast image sequences with low-res captures (320×240 or 640×480). 

I would definitely be interested in exploring the USB camera option. I will order a couple of VH modules and start doing my research.

-Jer

Oct 21, 2009 5:54pm
User_img_not_found_05_med plunkman 3 posts

Topic: BUGmodules / Using accelerometer in BUGlocate

I think it does, what I am really looking for is a module that I can poll or will asynchronously sense a sudden change in acceleration along a horizontal axis.  I don’t need a full xyz sensor.  I would be looking to store some data before and after an event like that.

Thanks for the response!

-Craig

Oct 21, 2009 2:45pm
Medium jconnolly 285 posts

Topic: Applications / Including a Java Project in a BUG Project

oh wow cool… there are only a handful of phoneME-specific classes used in our entire API (IVonHippelSerialWriter) which would cause a runtimeexception if used.  Other than that I think you should be able to swap out the VM without worrying.  In fact motherbug is running on cacao-openjdk6 and all I did was swap out the JVM’s. It’s interesting that you ask though, because I’m going to try to move away from javax.microedition classes and towards librxtx.  The upcoming R1.4.3 version of our stack will include avetana-based bluetooth support, which also relies on some CLDC-specific classes.  That effort would be slightly more complex to re-implement.

Either way, have at it!

Oct 21, 2009 2:22pm
Medium jpdelacroix 3 posts

Topic: Applications / Including a Java Project in a BUG Project

Thanks for the tip! Turns out I really needed to run my application separately from the bundles anyways, since it requires Java 1.5/1.6. I cross compiled the newest JamVM and GNU classpath and use those to run my Java 1.5/6 application. The bundles that access the hardware run in the OSGi framework and exchange data with the application in JamVM via a socket on the loopback device. Probably not the most elegant solution, but it works.

Is it possible to substitute pMEA with JamVM without breaking everything? It’d be great if I could push my application down into OSGi and avoid using sockets to share information.

Thanks again.

Oct 21, 2009 12:43pm
Medium jconnolly 285 posts

Hey there blprnt,

The user (GNUtoo, Denis) built a custom kernel and mplayer version for use in this bug app.  The short of it is:

Yes, external/USB cameras work with the BUG, but not with our (or Sun’s phoneME) Java API’s.  You may be able to customize your system enough to get this going, but it will not just be a few clicks away.  Let me know if you’re interested in customizing your kernel, and give me an idea of exactly what you’re trying to achieve (at a high and low level) and I can probably get you going.  Specifically, I would look at the list here:  http://linux-uvc.berlios.de/

Oct 21, 2009 11:17am
Medium bballantine 56 posts

Some more info from the engineer who wrote the API, BUGview provides a subset of the full motion module accelerometer api and is less accurate than BUGmotion.  So, that’s the difference.  Hope it helps.

-BB

Oct 21, 2009 11:13am

Hi plunkman,

The accelerometer functionality is not in BUGlocate.  There is an accelerometer in BUGview, though, which you can use.  It might be fine for your needs.  BUGmotion provides the most functionality, though.  I hope this answers your questions.

Thanks,
Brian

Oct 20, 2009 6:40pm

Hi blprnt,

You are correct in that there is a lot of latency in the camera.  Since we have the camera module only available for development purposes, we haven’t spent as much time on the gloss, so to speak, in terms of the drivers and v4l support.  Jconnolly or Matt Isaacs know more than me about this.

I have, however, used the camera for an OpenCV app.  It was written in C (and at the moment, I’m not sure where the code is, but I will look for it in earnest if you’re interested).  C is a lot harder than java, IMHO, especially for the BUG because it requires setting up an OpenEmbedded compilation environment (If you are interested in this, check out my post here).  The C code was based on the underlying driver code for the camera.  Even at the C level, I was only able to get pix at a 1600×1200 resolution, so there is no hardware compression to my knowledge, that I was able to take advantage of.  In the end, I was taking snapshots and pumping them through OpenCV (for face detection) and I was getting about 1 frame per  4-5 seconds, but I would say about half that was just getting the image from the camera.  My point is that if you write your app in C, you may get better performance, but it might not be worth the effort.

As jconnolly mentioned, if you simply can’t work with the 5 second lag, a USB cam might suit you better.  I haven’t tried this on the BUG, and here, again, I defer to jconnolly.  I will bring his attention to this forum post and see if he has anything else to add.  And I sincerely hope the BUG, in the end, can meet your needs.

Regards,
Brian

Oct 20, 2009 10:31am
User_img_not_found_06_med williamh 4 posts

Topic: BUGmodules / GPS I/O Exception

Uh oh. I’ve already sent my bugbase back, but I am using the opportunity to upgrade to the WiFi bugbase.

Oct 20, 2009 8:25am
User_img_not_found_05_med plunkman 3 posts

Hi all,
Quick Noob question, and apologies if it is answered someplace else. Can one use the accelerometer function in BUGlocate to avoid purchasing BUGmotion? I’m only inteested in finding out when something starts or stops quickly, and I see that acceleration is available in BUGlocate.
Thanks,
-Craig