BUG Community

Welcome! Log In

Forums Recent Posts

Subscribe to Recent Posts 12,455 posts found

Nov 3, 2009 2:04pm
Medium mcholerton 54 posts

Topic: Official Updates / November is Upgrade to BUGbase WiFi month

Hey hey hey,

November has been declared Upgrade to BUGbase WiFi month! 

You may have heard us announce the availability of BUGbase WiFi.  In addition to integrated WiFi and Bluetooth, BUGbase WiFi is RoHS
and CE compliant, allowing us to ship BUG to the European Union and lots more countries around the world.  Other improvements include a friction-fit docking connector and improved power management, along with a few other under-the-hood enhancements.

In all the excitement, we haven’t forgotten about all of you who already own a BUGbase.  We value you early adopters and want to make it easy for you to upgrade.  For the month of November, if you send us your original ‘Hiro P’ BUGbase back, we will send you a new BUGbase WiFi for $99!. 

Please send an email to matt[at]buglabs.net and let me know if you’d be interested in this upgrade and I’ll get back to you right away with the details.

Thanks!  We appreciate you for being a BUG customer.

Nov 2, 2009 9:48pm
Medium mcholerton 54 posts

Topic: BUGmodules / GPS I/O Exception

You can email your order number or full name on your invoice to support[at]buglabs.net and I’ll make sure we get you a new module right away.  Sorry for the trouble – I’ll be on the look out! 

Nov 2, 2009 2:27pm
Medium bcruskie 45 posts

Topic: BUGmodules / GPS I/O Exception

Adam/limnephilidae,

Did you end up contacting support yet? If not I believe we just need to get you a new GPS module.

Thanks,

Brian

Oct 23, 2009 12:24pm
Medium jconnolly 285 posts

Topic: Applications / Including a Java Project in a BUG Project

Yeah we have some backported concurrency libraries as part of our stack (edu.emory.mathcs.backport.java.util), but generics sure are nice.  Not to mention all of the cool extra libraries out there that require a >jdk1.4 compatible VM.  Not to mention the lack of swing or a nice GUI framework in phoneME… I could go on.  ;D

We’re working on the option of using a JDK1.6-compatible VM but it’s not yet ready for production.  stay tuned!

Oct 23, 2009 12:15pm
Medium jpdelacroix 3 posts

Yes, I think it’d be a great to have the BUG (and its OSGi framework) run with a VM that is Java 1.6 compliant. Java generics introduced in 1.5 and the Java concurrency work that went into 1.6 make Java applications so much more powerful.

Oct 22, 2009 10:41am
User_img_not_found_05_med plunkman 3 posts

Topic: BUGmodules / Using accelerometer in BUGlocate

Looks like BUGmotion is our winner.  Lowest cost.  Thanks for the answers!

-Craig

Oct 22, 2009 12:36am
User_img_not_found_04_med blprnt 19 posts

Topic: BUGmodules / BUGcam limitations - latency & possible workarounds

Thanks for the responses.

What I need to be able to do is to capture and store image sequences. Ideally these could be adjustable so that we could get slow image sequences with hi-res captures (1600×1200) or fast image sequences with low-res captures (320×240 or 640×480). 

I would definitely be interested in exploring the USB camera option. I will order a couple of VH modules and start doing my research.

-Jer

Oct 21, 2009 5:54pm
User_img_not_found_05_med plunkman 3 posts

Topic: BUGmodules / Using accelerometer in BUGlocate

I think it does, what I am really looking for is a module that I can poll or will asynchronously sense a sudden change in acceleration along a horizontal axis.  I don’t need a full xyz sensor.  I would be looking to store some data before and after an event like that.

Thanks for the response!

-Craig

Oct 21, 2009 2:45pm
Medium jconnolly 285 posts

oh wow cool… there are only a handful of phoneME-specific classes used in our entire API (IVonHippelSerialWriter) which would cause a runtimeexception if used.  Other than that I think you should be able to swap out the VM without worrying.  In fact motherbug is running on cacao-openjdk6 and all I did was swap out the JVM’s. It’s interesting that you ask though, because I’m going to try to move away from javax.microedition classes and towards librxtx.  The upcoming R1.4.3 version of our stack will include avetana-based bluetooth support, which also relies on some CLDC-specific classes.  That effort would be slightly more complex to re-implement.

Either way, have at it!

Oct 21, 2009 2:22pm
Medium jpdelacroix 3 posts

Thanks for the tip! Turns out I really needed to run my application separately from the bundles anyways, since it requires Java 1.5/1.6. I cross compiled the newest JamVM and GNU classpath and use those to run my Java 1.5/6 application. The bundles that access the hardware run in the OSGi framework and exchange data with the application in JamVM via a socket on the loopback device. Probably not the most elegant solution, but it works.

Is it possible to substitute pMEA with JamVM without breaking everything? It’d be great if I could push my application down into OSGi and avoid using sockets to share information.

Thanks again.