BUG Community

Welcome! Log In

Forums Recent Posts

Subscribe to Recent Posts 12,455 posts found

Feb 3, 2010 9:09pm
User_img_not_found_04_med blprnt 19 posts

Topic: BUG SDK / Wifi - automatic join after reboot?

Ok. One more question.

If I power down a BUG and then power it up, if will automatically join a wifi network.

If I reboot, through the command line, this doesn’t happen.

Strange, no?

Any ideas how I can get this to happen? We have two BUGs inside devices on the roof that I’d like to be able to manually reboot and have them join wifi so that I can get into them again?

-Jer

Feb 3, 2010 4:24pm
Medium jconnolly 285 posts

Topic: BUGbase / Changing device name?

You may want to try some of the artifacts built with connman… there are test utilities that may be of some value even for use by your application:

http://bugcommunity.com/downloads/files/connman…

One thing to try is using the GUI to list networks, then at the same time try the command line utility in that tarball.  This should tell you if it’s just a crappy GUI problem.  connman-gnome support has been pretty much dropped by their community so I wouldn’t doubt that there are quirks and unfixed bugs.

Feb 3, 2010 3:47pm

Changing the interval doesn’t seem to help.

Even selecting networks manually has always been problematic. Half the time, there are no networks listed in the drop down. 

I will continue forward and see what I can do. 

Feb 3, 2010 3:24pm

Yeah that makes sense:

<a href="http://docs.enlightenment.org/api/e_dbus/html/e__connman__device_8c.html">http://docs.enlightenment.org/api/e_dbus/html/e...</a>

I don’t have access to “many” AP’s in the office so it would be difficult to test your scenario.  Let me know how it goes.

Feb 3, 2010 2:36pm

I think I’ve found where to change the scan interval:

In the /var/lib/connman/ directory, there is a set of config files.

It looks like there’s one master config file (in my case it’s called dev_001988202648.conf) which has some global settings:

[Configuration]

Policy=auto

Priority=100

ScanInterval=300

And then it looks like it saves config files with connection information for the remembered networks. For example, I have a file called dev_00198810fd01.conf which contains a set of entries for the networks that I’ve added:
[06_12_CF_D3_67_73]     
Remember=true           
WiFi.Security=wpa       
WiFi.Passphrase=

[06_12_CF_CB_91_25]     
Remember=true           
WiFi.Security=wpa       
WiFi.Passphrase=
I am going to try to copy the network info onto another bug and see if it will then ‘know’ all of the networks.
I will also change the ScanInterval in the first file to something smaller (300 is in seconds, I am assuming – so 5 minutes between scans)
-Jer

Feb 3, 2010 2:26pm

Thanks again.

In the case where a device loses signal, and then moves into another zone, it does appear to pick up a signal eventually, but after a long delay.

I wonder if the frequency of checking networks can be increased? Just a thought.

-Jer

Feb 3, 2010 2:13pm

I’ll try to get into that today.  I’ll keep it within this thread and let you know

Feb 3, 2010 2:10pm

Thanks, John…

This all seems to be working, now. One of the devices early on switched to ‘localhost’ for a device name but I may have just done something wrong.

We’re one day away from the opening here and things are almost under control.

The big issue is with WiFi – getting the bugs to ‘smartly’ connect to the right network is still a manual process, which is somewhat irritating. But, all in all, we are in good shape.

Cheers,

-Jer

Feb 3, 2010 1:28pm

Works for me:

root@mybug123:~# tail -n 5 /var/log/concierge.log [Wed Feb 03 13:15:57 GMT 2010] [DEBUG] UAM INSTALL /usr/share/java/apps/HostnameTest.jar [Wed Feb 03 13:15:57 GMT 2010] [DEBUG] UAM START file:/usr/share/java/apps/HostnameTest.jar ------------------------- Name:mybug123 ------------------------- root@mybug123:~# cat /etc/hosts 127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost mybug123 10.10.10.1 bughost root@mybug123:~# cat /etc/hostname mybug123 root@mybug123:~# reboot Broadcast message from root (ttymxc/4) (Wed Feb 3 13:16:21 2010): .... .-------. | | .-. | | |-----.-----.-----.| | .----..-----.-----. | | | __ | ---'| '--.| .-'| | | | | | | | |--- || --'| | | ' | | | | '---'---'--'--'--. |-----''----''--' '-----'-'-'-' -' | '---' The Angstrom Distribution mybug123 ttymxc4 Angstrom 2009.X-stable mybug123 ttymxc4 mybug123 login: root root@mybug123:~# cat /etc/hosts 127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost mybug123 10.10.10.1 bughost root@mybug123:~# cat /etc/hostname mybug123 root@mybug123:~# cat /var/log/concierge.log --------------------------------------------------------- Concierge OSGi 1.0.0.RC3 on Linux 2.6.27.2 starting ... --------------------------------------------------------- [Wed Feb 03 13:18:04 GMT 2010] [DEBUG] UAM START file:/usr/share/java/apps/HostnameTest.jar ... ------------------------- Name:mybug123 ------------------------- ...

Feb 2, 2010 11:11am
Medium bcruskie 45 posts

Hi Jer,

If I remember correctly you’re using a Angstrom build from jconnolly? If this is the case this might be a defect. I will email this thread to JC and see if he has any ideas.

Thanks,

Brian