BUG Community

Welcome! Log In

Forums Recent Posts

Subscribe to Recent Posts 12,499 posts found

Mar 7, 2010 8:55am
Medium sog 1 post

Topic: Applications / Getting SSID names?

Do you meant iwlist scan?

Mar 6, 2010 3:10pm
Medium icubed 21 posts

Topic: Applications / Getting SSID names?

Is there anything in JNI somewhere that exposes some of the information that the wifi adapter gives to the OS?  In particular, I am trying to get the list off available AP’s or SSID’s, whichever.  From what I can tell, this information is not natively available in Java.  Any advice that anyone can give would be awesome.

Mar 5, 2010 1:44pm
User_img_not_found_03_med Raynentye 10 posts

Topic: Applications / Is BUG right for me?

I agree. I’d like to check the Zigbee stuff out. One thing that would be great is if it had a large bandwidth to stream multiple signals. To put it in terms of this project, a wireless (Zigbee) signal between two (or more if meshed) radios that allows RS-232 communication as well as other streams of data. I am going to research Zigbee a bit more.

Thanks guys!

Mar 5, 2010 8:58am
Medium wwward 8 posts

Ray, I don’t have enough experience with the ZigBee/.15 stuff to say what the effective ranges will be, but they’re worth checking out.  I’m going to have to figure it out anyway for an unrelated project.  At the moment, there are only a few communication modules for the bug, so the xBee and BugBee pairing would be the most practical from a size perspective.  If it absolutely cannot be made to work, there are plenty of options, but the BugBee is by far one of the most simple to prototype.

The other thing that would be worth checking out is how much effort to shrink that Digi product – if Digi sells the guts of that modem for embeddable designs, or if it uses something common that could be sourced as a module-friendly board with FCC certification for the antenna/transmitter combo already handled by the manufacturer.

Anything that comes out of something like this would be useful for a variety of fields and engineers, so it’s worth building a “bus multimeter.”

Mar 4, 2010 10:07pm

Hey icubed! Yeah, wwward and I spoke via IRC earlier. Please don’t put your selves out for me! Both of you seem to be well beyond my expertise! I appreciate any help I can get!

I’ve always been interested in communication technologies.But my knowledge of communications has been limited to telcom and a bit of WiFi and LAN. I know, not much, but I’m self-taught in this end. My true formal knowledge is in component level electronics. Resistors, capacitors, transistors, logic circuits, microprocessor programming, etc. I’ve very little knowhow in C+ and Q Basic… I’m dating myself…

This has been a “thought project” for near a decade.  But its only been recently that the technology has been cheap and prevalent enough for me to attempt it. Not to mention easy enough for me to understand!

Anyways, back to the project:

I’d like this unit to work on a multitude of different Addressable Fire Alarm Systems out there. It seems that the common simple communications method utilized is RS-232. Most , if not all of them use an RS-232 port for serial printing (hard copies of the system’s status). My thinking is that I could use this port to send, wirelessly, the system status to a portable viewing setup (like the BUGview). From that point, bi-directional control would not be possible through the RS-232 port. It tends to be designed that way in almost all of the panels I’ve ever worked on. For panel control, I was thinking on using a local relay board with normally open contacts that would be monitored by the fire alarm control panel itself. The monitor modules monitoring them would be programmed in the fire panel to perform basic commands once the relays are activated. I’d only need maybe four channels: Acknowledge, Signal Silence, System Reset, and Drill. Of course, I’m only limited by the fire alarm’s abilities in this respect. But in esscense, that’s exactly what a remote annunciator does, and that’s all I really need.

I understand that wwward was trying to maybe use the onboard radios of the BUG, but I’m not so sure it’ll work. I know Zigbee is an extraordinary mesh network protocol. If there was a Zigbee mesh network already installed, that would work perfectly. But I’m usually working in places like secure office buildings that don’t allow Wifi for fear of local hacking methods. I wouldn’t mind using it in another project I’ve thought of for a bit. But I think I’m stuck with the Digi radio modems I have.On the up side, they’re up to 1 watt powerful and I have 3! So I can use one as the panel radio, the other for the mobile radio, and the other can be placed out in the field to the furthest extent of the panel radio and used as a repeater. I have yet to experiment with the repeater setup but I know for a fact that the radios do work. I was able to get a bidirectional signal too!

Mar 4, 2010 9:06pm
Medium icubed 21 posts

Rayne,

wwward and I had a quick chat this evening and we want to talk to you live both of us at the same time.  I am usually not in the channel except for in the evenings (GMT +6).  We are both hoping to be clear of our current projects in about two weeks and can devote some serious time to this.  I am not a systems integrator, but I have some small amount of hands on experience with some industrial bus protocols.

Anyways, I hope to catch you on one night and get more details from you.

Mar 4, 2010 1:57pm

Nevermind! Found the IRC link!

Mar 4, 2010 1:55pm

I don’t know if it is right for you, but myself and wwward would like to talk to you soon.  Both he and I are interested in topics that are at least tangential, and at best very closely related to this.  Have you been in the IRC channel at all?  That would be a good place to chat.

Hi! I haven’t been in the IRC at all. Do you have a link? I’d like to progress in this project and I’m a bit stuck and would welcome any advice!

Mar 3, 2010 11:58pm
Medium icubed 21 posts

I don’t know if it is right for you, but myself and wwward would like to talk to you soon.  Both he and I are interested in topics that are at least tangential, and at best very closely related to this.  Have you been in the IRC channel at all?  That would be a good place to chat.

Mar 3, 2010 8:44pm

Hi! I’ve posted about this in the past and only recently have I picked up the project again, and the first thing I asked myself, could BUG do this?

Ok, I work with fire alarm systems. Yeah, I know, most of you are thinking, “A wha?” You know, when you burn toast or popcorn in the office and it sets the smoke detector off. There’s a lot of noise and everyone leaves the building to wait until the fire department gets there to shut them off and tell everyone to go back inside because it is safe. Fire alarms.

Well, some are very basic and need little service work. However, others are quite sophisticated and need rather indepth troubleshooting when something goes wrong. Its these complex units I’d like to adapt BUG to work with. These intricate fire alarms are what we call “addressable” because each device has its own address or designation to differentiate themselves from all the others. Most current addressable systems have an RS-232 Printer and/or computer port, as well as an RS-485 port. Addressable systems are usually in larger facilities, yet they are not necessarily designated strictly to large buildings. Some are in smaller buildings and, due to new fire code, they will probably be in every building sooner or later.

While troubleshooting a problem, I’m constantly running back and forth from an area where the problem “may” be and the main control panel. This can be a hassle if there are a lot of locked doors between the panel and I; or can be time consuming depending on the distance. Most times, I just need to see what the panel’s status is. Or, if its an intermittent problem, I