BUG Community

Welcome! Log In

Forums Recent Posts

Subscribe to Recent Posts 12,499 posts found

Mar 11, 2010 10:48am
Medium jconnolly 285 posts

Topic: Applications / Getting SSID names?

Is that a java way of saying I asked a garbage question?

No, that’s a way of saying that java handles memory management internally, via its GarbageCollector.  I can can create anonymous inner objects to my heart’s content, but upon the return from that method/class, the objects are discarded and the memory is reclaimed.

Mar 10, 2010 4:26pm
Medium icubed 21 posts

If anyone else light on the java experience stumbles accross this, you can see a good step by step explanation of the anonymous inner class at the following link:

http://www.tek-tips.com/faqs.cfm?fid=1849

Mar 10, 2010 4:24pm
Medium icubed 21 posts

Is that a java way of saying I asked a garbage question?

Anonymous inner class.  After enough fooling around, I noticed that text in the type assist box in Eclipse.  A bunch of digging later, and I am straight.

Sorry for the dopey question 8-(

Mar 10, 2010 12:28pm

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/lang/Runtime.html#gc()

Mar 9, 2010 10:17pm
Medium icubed 21 posts

@jconnolly, question.  In your IPaddressMenuNode application, when you are making the List of nodes that branch off of the inner class, you are calling new AbstractMenuNode(string, parent).  I am sure I am missing something, but how are you getting away with that?

Mar 9, 2010 12:58pm

Yeah, you’re going to need to shell out and parse the data:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/java/la…(java.lang.String[])

Mar 9, 2010 12:48pm

Topic: Applications / Old school text entry

That is exactly how I’d go about it.  Nintendo/Arcade game style.

Mar 8, 2010 9:41pm
Medium icubed 21 posts

Topic: Way Off Topic / Big Bang Theory

Favorite joke from Big Bang Theory?

Mine is the one where Shelden dresses up as the Doppler Effect.  Man that show is funny.

Mar 8, 2010 6:58pm
Medium icubed 21 posts

Topic: Way Off Topic / Introduction

wwward, how did you get your picture to take over here?  I changed mine on bugnet, but it didn’t copy over to the forums for some reason.

Mar 8, 2010 6:57pm
Medium icubed 21 posts

Topic: Applications / Old school text entry

I am making a text entry utility that is reminiscent of the way you used to enter your initials into an old arcade game.  If you recall, it had an up and down function that scrolled through the available alphabet like it was on a continuous wheel.  You would then move left or right to go to a different character.

I am trying to do something like this and would like some feedback on my initial idea.  Right now I am making an array of the available alphabet.  Then, I could implement some listeners to buttons for the up and down functions, as well as the side to side motions.  When an up or down button is pressed, the callback function would increment or decrement the character shown by changing the active item from the array and refreshing the display.

Any thoughts or suggestions for better and/or smoother ways to implement this?