BUG Community

Welcome! Log In

Forums Recent Posts

Subscribe to Recent Posts 12,499 posts found

Mar 14, 2010 7:57pm
User_img_not_found_03_med Raynentye 10 posts

Topic: Applications / Is BUG right for me?

No kidding?! I thought ZigBee was limited to 2.4GHz in the US! Looks like I have to take another look! Thanks!

Mar 14, 2010 7:51pm
Medium wwward 8 posts

Take a look at this: http://www.digi.com/products/wireless/point-mul…

900Mhz xBee module. 

Mar 14, 2010 7:43pm
User_img_not_found_03_med Raynentye 10 posts

The only problem is the application I need this for is existing systems. I could use the XBee but would have to set up temp repeaters every now and then. I did get a demo kit from Digi, the long range version. The range is really low. I find the 900MHz frequency has a phenominal range compared. I’m going to opt for the BUG 2.0 when it comes out.

Mar 14, 2010 5:43pm
Medium wwward 8 posts

Topic: Way Off Topic / Introduction

icubed,

It should be copied over from the main BUGnet page.  If you edited it there, and it did not, you may have different accounts.  Check with the webmaster if the link is broken, might have been a software update that de-associated your Bugnet and your forum ID.

Mar 14, 2010 5:31pm
Medium wwward 8 posts

I’m done with the Teletype project, photos here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/wwward0/sets/72157…

I’ll start poking at the xBee setup now.  gigahertz wireless range is so finicky, but I think we should give it a due look before we write it off as inadequate.  In my case, I was using WiFi ad-hoc to cover a very large open space.  If you’re doing an installation in a new office building, it’s likely you’ll have a lot of good free space to bounce the xBee signals around in.

Willis and I are going to start banging on it shortly.  An Electrical Engineer’s tricorder, that’s what this should be.

Bill

Mar 12, 2010 9:37pm
Medium icubed 21 posts

Topic: Applications / Old school text entry

Hey jconnolly,

In your app BaseDiagnostic, in the service tracker, line 171, what is the use of KEY_UP?  I can’t find anything that tells me what that relates to on the bugbase.

Thanks again for your help.

Mar 12, 2010 1:34pm
Medium jconnolly 285 posts

Topic: BUGbase / bug as a remote field camera?

Everything I’ve run across about Bug says memory is 512mb.  I haven’t seen anything that talks about putting more than 512 mb of sodram in Bug.

The BUG absolutely does not have 512MB RAM.  It has 128MB of RAM.  See the specs here. 

Zoneminder (www.zoneminder.com) would allow you to do #1 and with an external sensor to detect the rain/floods, #2. I haven’t currently tried Zoneminder on Bug, the big issue being at 320×240 resolution, you need 1mb of ram

If I were to do this project, I would use the following:

1. A temperature/humidity sensor integrated with the VonHippel module to sense rainfall.
  2. A UVC-compatible webcam capable of recording video (cheap, usually <$75)
  3. Ditch the zoneminder idea and write your own custom application using our tools, or something from openembedded that is already done for you.

Mar 12, 2010 9:05am
User_img_not_found_04_med sargon 2 posts

Topic: BUGbase / Bug Memory Upgrades

Are there any plans to make the base physical memory expandable in Bug either by swapping out the ram and/or an extra BugRAM module(s)?

Craig

Mar 12, 2010 8:55am
User_img_not_found_04_med sargon 2 posts

Topic: BUGbase / bug as a remote field camera?

i’m interested in finding out if a bug and cam could be adapted for use as a remote solar/bat powered field camera. I would like to automatically 1) take a snapshot everday at noon, and 2) record ~1 hour videos of floods when it rains. Is this a job for a bug? If so i’ve got some questions: Is it easy to supply power from an external battery? What is the voltage and current draw? Can a bug go to sleep in a low power mode and then be awakened by a trigger when it’s time to do something? Or, would I have conserve power by switching it on and off using another device? Lastly how much memory can a bug have?

Ok,

Zoneminder (www.zoneminder.com) would allow you to do #1 and with an external sensor to detect the rain/floods, #2.  I haven’t currently tried Zoneminder on Bug, the big issue being at 320×240 resolution, you need 1mb of ram.  Everything I’ve run across about Bug says memory is 512mb.  I haven’t seen anything that talks about putting more than 512 mb of sodram in Bug.  It shouldn’t be to hard to set something up that turns off everything not being used (e.g. just the sensor for #2 or zoneminder until noon or sensor alert) to be able to extend battery power life.

Craig

Mar 11, 2010 8:13pm
Medium icubed 21 posts

Topic: Applications / Getting SSID names?

Well, despite my misinterpretation, you have to admit that it would be a funny way to say a question is too noobish.