BUG Community

Welcome! Log In

Forums Recent Posts

Subscribe to Recent Posts 12,499 posts found

Mar 25, 2010 11:42am
Medium jconnolly 285 posts

Topic: Applications / Old school text entry

Pastebin the entirety to concierge.log as well as the code used to register the menu.  My hunch is the path you’re using to register the node.

Mar 25, 2010 11:34am
Medium icubed 21 posts

hey jconnolly or kgilmer, odd issue, when I try to run the latest rendition of my app on virtual bug, it no longer registers the menu nodes automatically, and when I go to start the program, it kicks an error.

Thu Mar 25 10:29:57 CDT 2010 Error occured while executing a menu node.
    Exception: Error starting bundle Bundle [21]: file:/home/wj/bugdev/.metadata/.plugins/com.buglabs.osgi.concierge.runtime/bundles/MenuWifi.jar

Line 21:

import com.buglabs.device.IButtonEventListener;

I can’t think of anything, but I am guessing I am doing something simple but incorrectly.  Any ideas?

Mar 23, 2010 12:22am
Medium wwward 8 posts

Topic: Applications / Is BUG right for me?

iCubed/Willis – Lets start this project we were discussing.  My big work-related project is tailing off, as are my personal projects this week.  Hit me up at wwward ! pobox.com.

Bill

Mar 18, 2010 2:13pm
User_img_not_found_05_med chrisguidry 3 posts

Topic: Applications / Locative Art - Spook Country

Yeah I’m in the Boston area and there are a couple of great Android apps (as well as built-in to Google Maps) that can give MBTA schedules for all the trains and buses.  That would be a great one.

Also, what’s that new hipster thing where you sort-of virtually tag a building, and people with smartphones can see your tags when they point their camera at the building?

Also, think about how fun games could be in AR, too.  Back to the hardware, as a prototype, it would look strange, but in production, you could make these semi-cool goggles, perhaps.  Having the heavy-lifting computation in your pocket/backpack is a plus, as you said.

Mar 18, 2010 2:09pm
User_img_not_found_05_med sparkbug 5 posts

That setup would be the way to go.  It has the advantage of making the module you must hold up to your face smaller.  It’s hard to blend into society holding a cinder block in front of your face.

I’m just brainstorming as to what information would be useful to overlay.

• Heads up display with overlayed street names.
  • Distance and direction to waypoints/GPS markers (i.e. where I parked my car) overlayed as an arc centered on my location and only showing markers ahead of me (in my field of view)
  • Overlay colour on parking spaces that are available (would need a database of valid parking times/days).  Green would indicate parking permitted.  Red would indicate prohibited times/days.
  • Interface with realtime transit information to show ETA or direction to nearest bus/taxi/streetcar and in the case of taxis, pop up the company phone number.

Just a few ideas.

Mar 18, 2010 12:58pm

This might be getting pricy, but if you had 2, think about this configuration:

One BUG in the configuration with the stereoscopic camera/screen pairs; this BUG would spend it’s CPU cycles on rendering the augmented view, and interpreting the input from the camera.

Another BUG for your pocket/backpack that had the other sweet stuff, like a GPS, fadio, audio unit, 3G, etc.  That device would do all the “talking with the world” and other backend processing.

The two BUGs could communicate over Bluetooth (since that’s included in the base BUG and doesn’t need an extra module, right?) over some kind of light protocol.

Ahhh, fantasy gear…..the real question would be: what kind of apps would you build for a wearable augmented reality setup like this?

Mar 18, 2010 12:44pm
User_img_not_found_05_med sparkbug 5 posts

That would be interesting bacause (from what I can tell in vids and pictures) the bug is about the right size to imitate average human eye spacing.  The only problem would be 2 cameras and 2 screens would leave no more islands free for GPS or sensor pack.

Mar 18, 2010 11:13am

Spark, how about a slight tweak:  2 screens and 2 outward facing cameras?  Then you’d get stereoscopic vision and could interpolate things in 3D, perhaps.  Sweet idea.

Mar 15, 2010 1:33pm
Medium kgilmer 215 posts

icubed, my response in the IRC channel to your questions:

09:58 <@kgilmer> 23:00 < willis-home> is there anything stopping me from having more than 1 servicetracker file in an
                 app?
09:58 <@kgilmer> no, it’s a common use case.
09:59 <@jconnolly> kgilmer discovers the power of irssi logs
09:59 <@kgilmer> willis-home, if your text editor does not need to be accessable from other bunldes, it doesn’t need to
                 be an osgi service.  if this is the case, simply implement IMenuNode, register that impl w/ the Menu
                 service, and create and display your editor in IMenuNode.execute().
10:00 <@kgilmer> if you do need the text editor as an osgi service, than you will need to get a reference to your
                 editor in your IMenuNode implementation, and call show() (?) on the window when the
                 IMenuNode.execute() method is called.

Mar 15, 2010 12:47pm
Medium icubed 21 posts

So I have run in to an issue and I am not sure of the best way to account for it.  First, I am using the BaseDiagnostic app and the bugBase_helloworld app as references to some of the functionality that I require.

The functionality I am implementing would ideally call my text editor function when a menu node that requires it is executed.  At this point the text editor locks BaseDisplay and adds a buttonEventListener.  When the editing is done, it releases these objects and returns the string.

What is the best and/or proper way to do this?  From what I can gather, I can’t do the BaseDisplay locks/unlocks or add/remove the buttonEventListener outside of a class extending AbstractServiceTracker because they require the getService method.

Options:

Is there any reason I should not just create another servicetracker class in my package that is instantiated by my texteditor?  This option would register a service that is required for the texteditor servicetracker to get the basedisplay, etc.

Can I just restrict dostart/dostop to calls from outside the servicetracker itself?  Should I just add a method to the servicetracker that I call when I am ready to run?  This seems like an end run around the OSGi system though.

I realize I have probably glossed over the right way to do this and that my questions/ideas are probably n00bish.  I am just trying to show I am trying to figure it out