BUG Community

Welcome! Log In

Forums Recent Posts

Subscribe to Recent Posts 12,455 posts found

Mar 9, 2010 10:17pm
Medium icubed 21 posts

Topic: Applications / Getting SSID names?

@jconnolly, question.  In your IPaddressMenuNode application, when you are making the List of nodes that branch off of the inner class, you are calling new AbstractMenuNode(string, parent).  I am sure I am missing something, but how are you getting away with that?

Mar 9, 2010 12:58pm
Medium jconnolly 285 posts

Yeah, you’re going to need to shell out and parse the data:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/java/la…(java.lang.String[])

Mar 9, 2010 12:48pm
Medium jconnolly 285 posts

Topic: Applications / Old school text entry

That is exactly how I’d go about it.  Nintendo/Arcade game style.

Mar 8, 2010 9:41pm
Medium icubed 21 posts

Topic: Way Off Topic / Big Bang Theory

Favorite joke from Big Bang Theory?

Mine is the one where Shelden dresses up as the Doppler Effect.  Man that show is funny.

Mar 8, 2010 6:58pm
Medium icubed 21 posts

Topic: Way Off Topic / Introduction

wwward, how did you get your picture to take over here?  I changed mine on bugnet, but it didn’t copy over to the forums for some reason.

Mar 8, 2010 6:57pm
Medium icubed 21 posts

Topic: Applications / Old school text entry

I am making a text entry utility that is reminiscent of the way you used to enter your initials into an old arcade game.  If you recall, it had an up and down function that scrolled through the available alphabet like it was on a continuous wheel.  You would then move left or right to go to a different character.

I am trying to do something like this and would like some feedback on my initial idea.  Right now I am making an array of the available alphabet.  Then, I could implement some listeners to buttons for the up and down functions, as well as the side to side motions.  When an up or down button is pressed, the callback function would increment or decrement the character shown by changing the active item from the array and refreshing the display.

Any thoughts or suggestions for better and/or smoother ways to implement this?

Mar 7, 2010 8:55am
Medium sog 1 post

Do you meant iwlist scan?

Mar 6, 2010 3:10pm
Medium icubed 21 posts

Is there anything in JNI somewhere that exposes some of the information that the wifi adapter gives to the OS?  In particular, I am trying to get the list off available AP’s or SSID’s, whichever.  From what I can tell, this information is not natively available in Java.  Any advice that anyone can give would be awesome.

Mar 5, 2010 1:44pm
User_img_not_found_03_med Raynentye 10 posts

Topic: Applications / Is BUG right for me?

I agree. I’d like to check the Zigbee stuff out. One thing that would be great is if it had a large bandwidth to stream multiple signals. To put it in terms of this project, a wireless (Zigbee) signal between two (or more if meshed) radios that allows RS-232 communication as well as other streams of data. I am going to research Zigbee a bit more.

Thanks guys!

Mar 5, 2010 8:58am
Medium wwward 8 posts

Topic: Applications / Is BUG right for me?

Ray, I don’t have enough experience with the ZigBee/.15 stuff to say what the effective ranges will be, but they’re worth checking out.  I’m going to have to figure it out anyway for an unrelated project.  At the moment, there are only a few communication modules for the bug, so the xBee and BugBee pairing would be the most practical from a size perspective.  If it absolutely cannot be made to work, there are plenty of options, but the BugBee is by far one of the most simple to prototype.

The other thing that would be worth checking out is how much effort to shrink that Digi product – if Digi sells the guts of that modem for embeddable designs, or if it uses something common that could be sourced as a module-friendly board with FCC certification for the antenna/transmitter combo already handled by the manufacturer.

Anything that comes out of something like this would be useful for a variety of fields and engineers, so it’s worth building a “bus multimeter.”