- Your kernel resides in the BUGbase's onboard NOR.
- Before you upgrade your MMC or SD card, you'll need to flash NOR with a newer kernel image.
Nobody likes headaches. Why not ditch Redboot and relax with the convenience of U-Boot. What does U-Boot mean for you?
- Your kernel resides on the SD card (/boot/uImage)
- When you upgrade your MMC or SD card, you're done.
Everybody likes relief. So here are some greatly simplified steps, thanks to Chris Wade, that will allow you to pretty painlessly move to uboot. Note that you should still proceed with caution. Your BUG should be attached to external power to prevent the accidental corruption of your boot loader. If after this procedure you can't get your BUG to boot, please reply here or email email@example.com for how to get your BUG fixed.
- Determine if your BUG has internet access.
- If you use Windows and you're using USB networking, it probably doesn't.
- If you use OS X and you're using USB networking, it probably doesn't.
- If you use Linux, you're using USB networking and you've followed our instructions, it probably does .
- Get command line access to your BUG.
- Download the tarball below to your bug (or somehow get it onto your BUG)
- Unzip and untar that gzipped tarball:
- tar xzvf ubootUpgrade-Bug.tar.gz
root@bug:~# tar xzvf ubootUpgrade-Bug.tar.gz ubootupgrade ubootupgrade/upgrade.sh ubootupgrade/uImagnor ubootupgrade/uImagnor.md5 root@bug:~#
- cd into ubootupgrade and run the upgrade script. It takes a few minutes to reprogram NOR with uboot.
- cd ubootupgrade
root@bug:~# cd ubootupgrade
root@bug:~/ubootupgrade# ./upgrade.sh >>> CAUTION - ERASING FLASH (WAIT ...) <<< ... >>> CAUTION - PROGRAMMING FLASH (WAIT ...) <<< programming block at offset 0x0 ... programming block at offset 0x10000 ... ... >>> CAUTION - PROGRAMMING FLASH (WAIT ...) <<< ... >>> PROGRAMMING COMPLETE <<< U-boot has been uploaded to the NOR. Please reboot root@bug:~#
- That's pretty much it. Shutdown your BUG, follow the instructions on how to upgrade to the latest rootfs and that's all you'll ever have to deal with NOR again.
See? Relief. 5 easy steps to improve your BUG experience dramatically. Happy hacking.