Forums BUGmodules Frame rate for BUGcam2MP

Subscribe to Frame rate for BUGcam2MP  7 posts, 3 voices

• Voices:
  • somchaya
  • Bug Labs team mcaric
  • bmartinek

Feb 27, 2008 1:52am
Img_missing_medium somchaya 3 posts

Hi, I’m a new user that stumbled on the Bug Labs website and I’m simply amazed at the potential for robotic applications.

I’m especially interested in the BUGcam2MP module. In the store, the specifications state that it is capable of video operation. What is the resolution and maximum frame rate of the camera?

Relating to the above question, how much video processing can I expect to perform on the BUGbase while still maintaining full frame rate of the camera (considering the CPU is around 500mhz)?

Thanks!

Mar 1, 2008 2:56pm
Medium Bug Labs team mcaric 64 posts

Hello somchaya,

The camera has a resolution of 1600×1200, and the frame rate is 10 frames per second. I’ll keep working on getting those other answers for you.

Thanks!
Melinda

Mar 2, 2008 6:35am
Img_missing_medium somchaya 3 posts

Hi Melinda,

Thanks for the answer. While you’re looking into the other questions, could you also check if the frame rate of the camera can be increased if the resolution went down? Like for example, 30 fps at 640×480 or something like that. 10 frames per second would be a little slow for the applications I have in mind :D

Thanks a lot!

Mar 26, 2008 7:26pm
Img_missing_medium bmartinek 22 posts

Just tagging onto this thread, any idea what is the default output for the video file?

Mar 27, 2008 12:05pm

Hello somchaya,

Thanks for your patience. The answer to this question requires performance measurement of the system with the application layer (JAVA, OSGI, etc.), and at this time we cannot provide an accurate answer to your question as we have not yet run those benchmarks.

In addition, the answer to the question depends upon what functions are being done in the processor. The MX31 IPU handles a lot of the low level functions in hardware, but higher level functions will have to be done in the main processor core.

Due to limitations of the camera sensor and serializer interface, frame rates higher than 10 FPS will not work with the 2MP camera. Lower resolution is possible, but not higher frame rates.

Mar 27, 2008 12:13pm

Hi bmartinek,

The driver supports UYVY, and the camera supports Raw RGB, RBG (RBG565/555), GRB422, YUV (422/420) and YCbCr (4:2:2) formats. You can find more information here in pdf format:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=res&c…

Mar 27, 2008 2:37pm
Img_missing_medium bmartinek 22 posts

Hmmm,

Not quite the information I was looking for but thanks! But I might have found it on the product specs. I am curious as to what the file format I would recive after encoding a video from the BugCam module. Is it Mpeg4? This appears to be the spec per the BugBase.

One last thing, I called OmniVision today and they seem to indicate that FPS rate is alot higher such as on the product spec sheet. According to the product spec sheet it should be able to 800 x 600