BUG Community

Welcome! Log In

Forums BUGmodules ETA for module specification?

Subscribe to ETA for module specification?  6 posts, 3 voices

• Voices:
  • myaliasisrithm
  • Tgeahre
  • Bug Labs team kgilmer

Feb 9, 2008 2:22pm
Img_missing_medium myaliasisr... 15 posts

Hi,
Is there an ETA (Estimated Time of Arrival) for the module specifications? That is, the hardware specs on the interconnection mechanism, as well as each individual module’s specs? It was mentioned that it would be possible to build 3rd party modules – this information would be really helpful to have as a starting point. I am interested in building a wave bubble module (http://www.ladyada.net/make/wavebubble/) that is slightly modified to use 802.11s (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11s) to form what is basically a mobile RF blindspot. I want it as a module because I want to be able to route 802.11 b/g/n, GPS and bluetooth comms THROUGH the bubble, while allowing nearby bugs with the same module the ability to extend the bubble and maintain wireless comms while other channels are blocked. It is an idea I have been banging around in my head for a couple of years that I would like to see if I could get working.

Thanks!

Feb 9, 2008 3:39pm
Img_missing_medium Tgeahre 8 posts

Sounds like a good idea but depending on where you live, it may be illegal. I personally don’t care about the illegality, I just wanted to give a friendly warning. I know in many states RF blocking is against the constitution.

Feb 9, 2008 8:12pm

That would suck if true here in CA! I just want a proof-of-concept, though – I am sure that if I can get it working, I should be able to find a market, overseas if necessary.

Feb 9, 2008 8:23pm
Img_missing_medium Tgeahre 8 posts

I know that it is true in California. it was deemed unconstitutional because no person is allowed to inhibit any person from contacting local emergency services. or something like that.
Though I do want to build one myself anyways, it sounds like an awesome module and the device itself was always a personal favorite.

Feb 12, 2008 12:59am
Medium Bug Labs team kgilmer 215 posts

myaliasisrithm,

This document is floating around internally. Let me figure out where it is and get back to you. Many people have been asking for this…

Feb 12, 2008 11:02am

Hi,
Thanks! That’s great – you folks are really on top of things :)

Forums BUGmodules ETA for module specification?