BUG Community

Welcome! Log In

Forums BUGmodules Alternate types of battery packs.

Subscribe to Alternate types of battery packs.  4 posts, 2 voices

Jan 19, 2008 7:17am
Img_missing_medium RobbieThe1st 4 posts

Well, the BUGbase has a battery built in, Li-on I assume. And, it appears that there will be battery BUGmodules, however I assume that they will be Li-on.

I would like to be able to swap out the Li-on battery in the BUGbase for a NiMH battery(Three cells in series actually.) – It would require a different charging mechanism, however, seeing as NiMH is much easier to charge, adding an extra chip and a switch wouldn’t be too hard.

However, that is most likely not possible, as the BUGbase is already in production.

My next solution would be to have a battery BUGmodule which takes a set of 3 AA’s – It would have a easy to open cover, exposing the 3 AA slots, and a switch(Note that it would just barely fit, you might have to make said modual a tad over 2" wide however – but not by much.). The switch would switch between NiCd, NiMH, or Alkaline battery types. On Alkaline of cource, it would not charge. With any luck, you should be able to make a add on pack that can charge NiCd/NiMH batteries, run off said batteries, and in a pinch, run off Alkaline batteries.

Why NiMh? Well, first of all, as AA batteries are common, you won’t have the problem of, in a few years, when the Li-on batteries expire, not being able to find batteries to power your BUG. Also, they charge faster, and only lose capacity when they are run down, so you could leave your device plugged in for a couple years, come back, and everything is still running well, and, even though the power went out a half-dozen times, no data is lost and your batteries still have most of their capacity left.

Of course, even if you couldn’t use AA’s, you could still use perhaps 6 AAA’s, which are around also, so you still get the same benefits.

Even if none of these suggestions work out, I would like very much for the BUGbase to work even if its internal Li-on battery is removed, as long as it is plugged in, or has a battery BUGmodule.

-RobbieThe1st

Jan 22, 2008 2:59pm
Medium Bug Labs team mcaric 64 posts

Hi RobbieThe1st,

If we get enough requests from our users for a separate battery pack module, that is definitely something we could look into doing. I can also see how this would be something that a lot of people would find useful, I’ve got a similar conversion attachment for my camera that runs on AA batteries. It’s saved me a number of times, because AAs are easy to find regardless of where you might find yourself.

The BUG will work if the internal battery is removed, provided it is still attached to its power source. The BUG has a power jack, and the power supply we’re using is 5volt, between 0-3 amps. If you need more exact measurements let me know and I can try to get those for you.

Thanks,
Melinda

Jan 23, 2008 3:47am
Img_missing_medium RobbieThe1st 4 posts

mcaric
Hi RobbieThe1st,

If we get enough requests from our users for a separate battery pack module, that is definitely something we could look into doing. I can also see how this would be something that a lot of people would find useful, I've got a similar conversion attachment for my camera that runs on AA batteries. It's saved me a number of times, because AAs are easy to find regardless of where you might find yourself.

Ah, good I guess. I figured there was already one in development, seeing as the BUGbase supports "Battery operation/up to 4 external batteries".

mcaric

The BUG will work if the internal battery is removed, provided it is still attached to its power source. The BUG has a power jack, and the power supply we're using is 5volt, between 0-3 amps. If you need more exact measurements let me know and I can try to get those for you.

Thanks,
Melinda

Ah good. I have seen quite a few mobile devices which will not run if their batteries are removed.

Battery wise, are you using a one or two cell Li-on design for the BUGbase battery? Also, if you don't mind, I would like to know the dimensions of the BUGbase battery.

External power-source wise, what sort of tolerance are we talking about? If we are talking about charging a single-cell Li-on battery, 4.2V+ should work fine, or if not charging the battery, 3.6V or so should be enough to run the electronics, just like the 3.6V you get from the battery.

On the high side, are we talking a tolerance of around 0.1V, so 5.2V would fry something, or are we talking 6.0V max, like some 5V usb-powered devices, or are we using something like a LM317T voltage regulator, in which case anything less than 30V or so should be fine(although you would have to worry about heat dissipation at such high voltages)?

I am just wondering, as it would be nice to know just what you need to power a BUG(One good reason this is important is that cheap wall transformers rarely come in 5V - usually 4.5 or 6V. Now, while the latter can be pulled down to 5V externally using a LM317T circuit or the like, it would be nice to know if you would have to do that, or if it is already done for you).

Thanks for taking the time to read my post,

-RobbieThe1st
Jan 23, 2008 3:13pm
Medium Bug Labs team mcaric 64 posts

We recommend using 5v since that’s what we’re using and testing on here. If you don’t it shouldn’t fry the unit, since there is a voltage regulator in the BUGbase.

I just measured the battery, it is 4×1 5/8×1/16.

Hope this helps!

Melinda

Forums BUGmodules Alternate types of battery packs.

Powered