BUG Community

Welcome! Log In

Forums BUGmodules Module connection/casing for the electrical engineers

Subscribe to Module connection/casing for the electrical engineers  5 posts, 4 voices

Jan 15, 2008 10:04pm
Medium cdraptor 25 posts

I was wondering if there is any plans to module casings which have the module connection and empty casing (maybe in a couple different heights) that would allow those electronics wizards to create their own modules for the BUGbase. I am not one that would be creating, but I do know of quiet a few in the robotics world that would likely create new modules. It would be in the Open Source (Hardware) spirit of things.

Jan 16, 2008 10:21am
Medium Bug Labs team kschultz 107 posts

I can can't post URLs yet, but if you go to Bug Blogger, check out the post from January 5th, 2008 entitled "Announcing Pricing, Availability, a New Module, and More!". The new module is mentioned in the last paragraph, the "Von Hippel" module.

Lastly, because we want to encourage users to make the most of their BUG, we are pleased to announce the Von Hippel module, a new addition to the collection of BUGmodules. Named after MIT professor and "Democratizing Innovation" author Eric Von Hippel, the Von Hippel BUGmodule adds an interface of inputs and outputs to the BUG, allowing users to "hack" their BUG even further. Professor Von Hippel's book was a big inspiration for the foundation of Bug Labs, so having his name associated with our products is an exciting accomplishment. Final pricing and timing for the Von Hippel BUGmodule is not yet set, but we are targeting the first quarter as well.
Jan 16, 2008 2:34pm
Medium cdraptor 25 posts

That is fantastic news – there is so much potential with BUGbase. I cannot wait to get my hands on one.

Aug 14, 2008 12:10am
Img_missing_medium edanuff 1 post

Resurrecting this thread, what I’d like to suggest is making a plastic case the length and width of your other modules and with a height big enough to mount a PCB with connectors of approx 15mm height so interior space height of maybe up to 20mm. Leave one side of the module completely open so the edge of the mounted PCB is exposed so that edge-mounted connectors are exposed, or have the plastic made so that it can be snapped out in whole or in part. Sell the plastic casings for a reasonable price in packs of 10. This would let people make and sell or trade their own modules which looked fairly attractive. The von hippel module sounds like fun but if i’m going to make my own PCBs for use with this thing, I might as well just put a connector so that it can plug directly to the base and it would be cool if I could stick these in a nice case and maybe sell them to other BugBase owners.

Aug 14, 2008 6:31am
Medium Bug Labs team jconnolly 285 posts

edanuff
Resurrecting this thread ... it would be cool if I could stick these in a nice case and maybe sell them to other BugBase owners.

I like this idea. The Von Hippel module provides a good interface for home made hardware, things that use breadboards, PIC boards and the like. However, if you want the look and feel of a BUG module, with the intent of trading and/or selling with other BUG owners, the above sounds like a good place to start.
Forums BUGmodules Module connection/casing for the electrical engineers