BUG Community

Welcome! Log In

Forums BUGmodules Connecting modules via cable

Subscribe to Connecting modules via cable  13 posts, 10 voices

Jan 11, 2008 6:53am
Img_missing_medium paulurban 2 posts

Have you considered adding the option of connecting modules via cable? One may not always want modules to be "stacked". Cabling would give you the freedom to position the modules optimally for the application.

The modules look a little big to me. If one wanted to add a pressure sensor module, for example, a housing of that size would mostly be empty space? If one constructed a reasonably complex gadget, containing say, 10 modules, it might start to look a little silly.

I see the common API, bus and the hackable, open base as the real attraction of the platform, not the stackability. Surely, it makes more sense to keep each module to the minimum possible size, and allow flexible positioning of modules by connecting them with cables?

Perhaps you’re planning to release a cable of some sort?

Jan 11, 2008 7:14pm
Medium Bug Labs team mcaric 64 posts

Hi Paul,

These are some great ideas! If we receive enough requests for alternate methods of connecting modules, this is something we can definitely look into.

Thanks!
Melinda

Jan 12, 2008 9:56pm
Img_missing_medium yye00 4 posts

Actually I for one would really appreciate a soft (i.e. flexible) module interconnect. This would make it easier to use BUGs for space-constraint applications like robotics, controllers, DAQ systems and car pc’s when you have to mount a camera and GPS in different locations than the BUGBase. Adding a cable connect would also make life easier when people try to connect more than 4 modules to the base (eg. full screen, gps, camera, extra power etc…)

Jan 15, 2008 8:41pm
Medium cdraptor 25 posts

I think having a cable to connect the modules would be extremely useful in robotics applications – which is one major usage I am planning to use the BUGbase with. That would allow you to configure the camera module and sensors in other locations on the Robotic frame.

Jan 26, 2008 5:02pm
Img_missing_medium bmartinek 22 posts

Definately tag me on to the list of cable connectors for the modules.Just for the Camera Module alone this would make sense.

Keep up the good work, I am very excited to get my Hiro P bundle!

Jan 29, 2008 11:38am
Img_missing_medium cycomimesp... 4 posts

I really probably wouldn’t buy the bug unless is could link them together. A cable would be a great idea. And a bonus for ya’ll is that we buy more bug bases and you all get more profit.

Jan 29, 2008 2:39pm
Medium Bug Labs team kschultz 107 posts

We have some 6" cables in the office for the connector we are using, but they do not fit once the plastic is on, only on the bare circuit boards. They are also expensive, at about $80 each. Once the BUG gains some traction I can see a big demand for them though, it opens up a lot of configurations that would not be possible otherwise. There are a lot of requests for the cable so it is something that will get looked into, I’m just not sure if or when a solution will be found. What kind of application are you looking to do with them?

Jan 31, 2008 9:32pm
Medium cdraptor 25 posts

I am looking at utilizing the BUGBase on a Hexapod robotic walker. One thing I would want to do is mount the BUGBase flat to the body panels – with the camera hooked up on a servo mount so it could pan/tilt to look around – so being able to have a cable plug into the BUGBase then plug into the Camera Module would be perfect. Also in a robotic configuration you may want to also mount the motion sensor module in a similar fashion.

I already ordered the Hiro P bundle, but I will also be buying additional BUGBases when they come out with WiFi built in to utilize on a couple robotic platforms along with having one as a handheld device (used to control the robot(s)

Jan 31, 2008 9:42pm
Medium Bug Labs team kschultz 107 posts

That sounds great. I'm interested in robotics as well, its actually what I'm concentrating in at school. Have you seen the Python Robotics project? It seems to be pretty simple I haven't delved into it too deep, and I haven't tried it with the BUG, but for something quick it is interesting. For a more serious solution look at Orca/Hydro, it has a more robust design with the ICE middleware, and is largely in C++ although it can use Python and Java, and a few others.
Feb 1, 2008 9:07pm
Medium cdraptor 25 posts

I am currently working with the SPC-101C robot from Speecys - I've been doing some recompile and conversion of some of the application. One of the things I like about this Robot is the WiFi so it allows me to develop applications on the PC to communicate with the robot. I can't stand Basic Stamp and honestly most of the small processing power of the embedded devices can only provide simple functionality - major things like vision/audio processing works best on say a laptop or desktop - especially if your going to be doing object recognition.

http://www.speecys.com/english/ --- Speecys Website

Here's some of my work with the Speecys on You Tube - http://www.youtube.com/user/RxDTxDTTL

Anyway I want to develop a Hexapod walker or Wheeled/Track platform - the Humanoid are cool, but very limited in payload. Initially I am looking to connect the BUGBase to the SSC-32 Servo controller from Lynxmotion. But I am talking to someone about working with the Von Hipple module and integrate his current control module for the Bioloid AX-12+ servos. I am bugged about the onboard WiFi - but am hopeful Bug Labs will get that worked out and on-board soon after the Hiro P.
May 21, 2008 7:16pm
Img_missing_medium turn.self.off 5 posts

i dreamed up a little something i ended up calling the squid.

basically a bug module with ports around the side, top and bottom.

the bottom one can connect to the bug base, or the top of another squid.

the top can, like stated, have another squid inserted, or have a different module inserted.

the ports around the sides (4 of them most likely) are for cables.

this allows for squids to be attached at the other end of the cables, where they can have bug modules mounted and/or spread out cables to even more squids.

May 28, 2008 12:05pm
Img_missing_medium afritz 24 posts

Well my first application would be much easier/better with remote modules. Since I want to record acceleration in all three axis of my vehicle, and I’d prefer not to have to translate everything to account for orientation of the bug, I’m mounting the bug with x/y/z matching my cars. This of course doesn’t work very well if you want to see the screen. It would be nice to remotely mount the screen, or remotely mount the accelerometer, or both.

Count this as a