BUG Community

Welcome! Log In

Forums BUGbase ubuntu on the Bug

Subscribe to ubuntu on the Bug  8 posts, 6 voices

Apr 19, 2008 8:24pm
Img_missing_medium theRightNee 6 posts

calling all ubuntu lovers
i know that installing Ubuntu on the Bug is possible, and I am just wondering how it works on the device. It is the first thing I plan to do when i get mine =]

Apr 21, 2008 8:21am
Medium Bug Labs team kgilmer 215 posts

theRightNee,

I don’t think anyone has done this internally, but we’d love to hear about it if you make progress :). If you’re looking to use a kernel other than what is on the BUG currently you’ll need some patches. We are working on our public CVS server now. I can also send you the tarball until that’s up if you want it.

Apr 27, 2008 6:33pm

thanks for the reply

i am currently saving up to buy the bug (pretty heft fro us students even with those great educational discounts)...but when i do get it i’ll put it up

May 5, 2008 9:04pm

as i was thinking more about porting ubuntu to the Bug i ran into some questions
i am pretty inexperienced in this field, so I am throwing this out there

1. how will different modules interface with the OS? i was thinking maybe i can set it so that the modules are recognized as usb attachments so it eliminates the need to write up drivers from scratch…just leaves the interface program

2. input-i have not seen any pics of the QWERTY keyboard module, so as of now I am thinking that the only input method (on the go) would be through the touchscreen…and on screen keyboards are not exactly the greatest

with these in mind…perhaps a whole new flavor of ubuntu would have to be built? :?:

Dec 4, 2008 9:48am
Img_missing_medium cyleleghorn 4 posts

theRightNee
as i was thinking more about porting ubuntu to the Bug i ran into some questions
i am pretty inexperienced in this field, so I am throwing this out there

1. how will different modules interface with the OS? i was thinking maybe i can set it so that the modules are recognized as usb attachments so it eliminates the need to write up drivers from scratch...just leaves the interface program

2. input-i have not seen any pics of the QWERTY keyboard module, so as of now I am thinking that the only input method (on the go) would be through the touchscreen...and on screen keyboards are not exactly the greatest

with these in mind...perhaps a whole new flavor of ubuntu would have to be built? :?:

well, people have made linux for the nintendo wii. it is able to recognize the 2 usb ports, the wifi network adapter, the hard drive, and the sd card slot in the front of the wii. there should be something similar for BUG. yes it would be a pain to make new individual drivers for each module, so usb attatchment is the way to go. there is already a small version of linux able to boot off of a flash drive or floppy disk (dsl or damn small linux) and if you figure out how to make a version of linux that is bootable by the bug, you wouldnt have any permanent changes... though with the ability to ssh into the bug, you could.. no im just confusing myself. we just need to make a new operating system that recognizes the moduals and ports of the bug, and can use the BUGview as a moniter and input device. possibly bugmotion as a human interface device also.
Dec 8, 2008 11:13am
Medium Bug Labs team agordon 74 posts

cyleleghorn,

BUG already ships with a linux environment that you’re able to ssh or login to via serial, as well as containing various drivers for modules, etc.

I think that the original poster was looking for Ubuntu on BUG perhaps for purposes of user interface, package management, etc. Not to dissuade anyone from trying to port anything from Ubuntu to the BUG, but I think we’re making some pretty big improvements on user interface and package management for BUG.

Remember: BUG is not a desktop computer, so a lot of the things that mainline Ubuntu (desktop) brings to the game may not be all that useful to this platform. Maybe something along the lines of Ubuntu MID (http://www.ubuntu.com/products/mobile/) would be nice, however.

Dec 13, 2008 1:23am
Img_missing_medium bear912 8 posts

How does one do package management on the BUG, given an internet connection [size=8:edaf7530c2](or a series of tubes)[/size:edaf7530c2]? Ignorant as I am about the BUG's OS and Poky in general, I'm curious to know if there is a package manager similar in function to apt or yum, and how to use it if there is.
Dec 13, 2008 9:49am
Medium Bug Labs team finsprings 268 posts

bear912
How does one do package management on the BUG, given an internet connection [size=8:c3c90bd902](or a series of tubes)[/size:c3c90bd902]? Ignorant as I am about the BUG's OS and Poky in general, I'm curious to know if there is a package manager similar in function to apt or yum, and how to use it if there is.

As of R1.3 the BUG runs a variant of Poky Linux, which is itself a subset of OpenEmbedded (as used on the OpenMoko phone and a lot of other devices). The package system it uses right now is ipkg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ipkg), which is based on Debian's dpkg. So you can make packages and install them using ipkg. Here's a post showing you how you might grab an OpenEmbedded package and put it on your BUG (perl in this case):
http://community.buglabs.net/finsprings/posts/19-Pulling-in-an-OE-Recipe
Forums BUGbase ubuntu on the Bug