BUG Community

Welcome! Log In

Forums BUGbase Can't get Bug to be recognized over USB

Subscribe to Can't get Bug to be recognized over USB  13 posts, 4 voices

Apr 16, 2008 8:15pm
Medium Bug Labs team finsprings 268 posts

My Bug arrived today (yay!). However, I can’t get it to be recognized on my MacBook. I installed the 10.5 kext as per the instructions and rebooted. When I turn on the Bug, the buttons light up and the Bug logo shows on the LCD. When I plug it into either of my MacBook’s USB ports, nothing happens. In /var/log/system.log I see:

Apr 16 20:08:08 dfindlay-macbook kernel0: USBF: 264.975 AppleUSBHubPort: Port 1 of Hub at 0×1d000000 reported error 0xe00002ed while doing set feature (resetting port)

This message appears consistently when I plug in the Bug.

None of the buttons or the joystick or the button next to the joystick cause the display on the bug to change at all; I’m not sure if that’s expected at this point. I have no modules plugged into it yet.

Any ideas?

Apr 16, 2008 9:53pm

Also, not sure if this is relevant or expected, but I can’t get the Bug to power on without the power adaptor cable connected. I’ve had it charging for a few hours, and I can turn it on when the cable is plugged in, and then unplug the cable. But, nothing happens if I try and turn it on without the cable being plugged in.

Apr 17, 2008 9:32am
Medium Bug Labs team kgilmer 215 posts

Dave, when you boot the BUG without connecting anything except for power, what is on the base LCD when it completes the boot process?

Apr 17, 2008 9:34am

The Bug logo appears and stays there.

Apr 17, 2008 9:44am

Dave,

Ok. If the logo does not animate after several seconds then the BUG is stuck at the bootloader (RedBoot) and there may be an issue with the MMC card. If however the animation starts but never completes then there is some issue with initializing the system. No animation?

Apr 17, 2008 9:45am
Medium Bug Labs team agordon 74 posts

It would appear that error you’re seeing in the Mac has to do with the BUG not fully booting. I tested here with a BUG without an MMC card in it, and it does the same thing on my Mac.

Apr 17, 2008 9:47am

Dave,

The MMC card connectors may not be connected. Can you reseat the MMC card? You should:

1. Turn the BUG completely off.
2. Push the MMC card slightly in, this will result in a click.
3. Release pressure on the MMC card, causing it to come out of the unit a bit.
4. Completely remove the card from the base.
5. Reinsert the card, pushing until the same click occurs and then releasing. The card should not be sticking out of the side of the base.
6. Reboot the BUG and see if the boot-up process has changed.

Apr 17, 2008 9:49am

I don’t have an MMC card in it, and it’s at home but I am pretty sure I didn’t see any animation. Am I supposed to have an MMC card in it?

I’m not sure I understand what the Mac would have to do with it though – it doesn’t appear to be doing anything even when not plugged into the Mac.

Apr 17, 2008 9:54am

I may have missed it, but I don’t think my Bug came with an MMC card. The slot is empty and I didn’t notice one in with the documentation.

Apr 17, 2008 9:59am

Dave, well that would do it :). Perhaps you can look in the packaging to see if maybe it came out during shipping. If you are unable to find it we’ll get one out to you.

Apr 17, 2008 10:05am

Will do Ken. I will look for it tonight. I didn’t realize the MMC card was required for the Bug to boot – I thought it was just for additional storage, file transfer, etc. It might be worth mentioning that in the startup instructions – checking the card is fully seated etc. Or maybe it does and I missed that?

Apr 17, 2008 11:07am

Good point Dave. I’ll pass that along to our documentation people.

Apr 17, 2008 2:39pm
Medium Bug Labs team kschultz 107 posts

Finsprings,

Glad you got one, I have been looking forward to that I know you are going to make some sweet apps!

The MMC card has the whole filesystem on it so you can swap them. For me I was thinking having one card with all my day to day stuff on it, and one card for experimenting with stuff so I could swap back and forth. I think thats a big feature that hasn’t really been mentioned anywhere.

Kevin

Forums BUGbase Can't get Bug to be recognized over USB