BUG Community

Welcome! Log In

Forums BUGbase Custom Battery / Battery Modules.

Subscribe to Custom Battery / Battery Modules.  2 posts, 2 voices , Tagged: battery

Dec 10, 2009 6:06pm
User_img_not_found_06_med Drosen 3 posts

Hi there. I’be been playing around with the bugs lately, and have been trying to figure out some ways to increase their battery life. I have seen mention of battery modules for the bug, but I don’t see these in the store or anywhere else than in a few forum posts.  so, I’ve been thinking of other ways to get extra power, like hooking up external battery backs via the power jack.

I have an external Li-Ion battery back that is generally designed to power usb-compatible devices (i.e. 5v draw). Has a capacity of 3400mAH, and output of 5.5v volts. From my understanding of the specs, this should be sufficient to supply power to the bugs and would work identically to having them plugged into a wall-based power supply. I haven’t tested this yet, because I have to wire up a connector sized to fit the bug’s power jack. I will try it out this weekend, but I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts as to whether this would work fine, or if there is a smarter way of going about it.

Cheers,

Drosen

Dec 11, 2009 1:56pm
Medium Bug Labs team jconnolly 285 posts

Hey Drosen,

I encourage you to try making your own external power supply, but there are some software solutions to extending the battery life of your BUG as well.  For example, if you have an application in mind that does not require bluetooth, ethernet, wifi or usb, you can optimize your BUG to turn these components off.   Check out this wiki with links to more complete documentation:

http://bugcommunity.com/wiki/index.php/Power_Co…

Forums BUGbase Custom Battery / Battery Modules.