BUG Community

Welcome! Log In

Forums BUGbase Hardware Issue?

Subscribe to Hardware Issue?  3 posts, 2 voices , Tagged: Speaker Sound

Sep 9, 2009 3:59pm
User_img_not_found_06_med tapratt 7 posts

HI All,

I’m having an issue with the on board sound.  There is an intermittent loud static noise coming from the speaker.  I have turned the volume down using the alsa utilities with no success.   I only have the LCD module installed and it’s not by the speaker .  Does anyone know what might cause this or how to fix it.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks,

Todd

Sep 10, 2009 6:18pm
Medium Bug Labs team jconnolly 285 posts

Hi Todd,

You can use alamixer to turn it down: 

alsamixer -c 0

use the up/down keys to set the volume lower than 100.  To make something like this permanent, you could add the line:

amixer -c 0 cset iface=MIXER,name=’Master Playback Volume’,index=0 70

To /etc/init.d/concierge, towards the top after

#!/bin/sh

Alternately you could create your own init script with symlinks in /etc/rc*.d/ to do this for you.  I’m just suggesting you stick it in /etc/init.d/concierge because you must do this before java starts.

Sep 16, 2009 11:57pm
User_img_not_found_06_med tapratt 7 posts

Thanks for the suggestion,  but I tried it and I’m having the same issue.  I did check the volume level after I rebooted and it was turned down by the script, so I restarted concierge just to be sure it was set correctly.  What’s happening is after the bug_audio kernel module gets loaded on boot there is a very low level static noise coming from the speaker then intermittently it gets loud static noise and volume has no effect on it.  I did test the speaker with a wav file to make sure it was working correctly.  The only way to stop