BUG Community

Welcome! Log In

Forums BUGbase bug as a remote field camera?

Subscribe to bug as a remote field camera?  8 posts, 7 voices

Apr 9, 2009 12:45am
Img_missing_medium jkean 1 post

i’m interested in finding out if a bug and cam could be adapted for use as a remote solar/bat powered field camera. I would like to automatically 1) take a snapshot everday at noon, and 2) record ~1 hour videos of floods when it rains. Is this a job for a bug? If so i’ve got some questions: Is it easy to supply power from an external battery? What is the voltage and current draw? Can a bug go to sleep in a low power mode and then be awakened by a trigger when it’s time to do something? Or, would I have conserve power by switching it on and off using another device? Lastly how much memory can a bug have?

May 8, 2009 7:18pm
User_img_not_found_03_med epiraces 1 post

Did you get a reply on this? This may help a little bit:

http://community.buglabs.net/forums/7-BUGbase/t…

Mar 12, 2010 8:55am
User_img_not_found_04_med sargon 2 posts

i’m interested in finding out if a bug and cam could be adapted for use as a remote solar/bat powered field camera. I would like to automatically 1) take a snapshot everday at noon, and 2) record ~1 hour videos of floods when it rains. Is this a job for a bug? If so i’ve got some questions: Is it easy to supply power from an external battery? What is the voltage and current draw? Can a bug go to sleep in a low power mode and then be awakened by a trigger when it’s time to do something? Or, would I have conserve power by switching it on and off using another device? Lastly how much memory can a bug have?

Ok,

Zoneminder (www.zoneminder.com) would allow you to do #1 and with an external sensor to detect the rain/floods, #2.  I haven’t currently tried Zoneminder on Bug, the big issue being at 320×240 resolution, you need 1mb of ram.  Everything I’ve run across about Bug says memory is 512mb.  I haven’t seen anything that talks about putting more than 512 mb of sodram in Bug.  It shouldn’t be to hard to set something up that turns off everything not being used (e.g. just the sensor for #2 or zoneminder until noon or sensor alert) to be able to extend battery power life.

Craig

Mar 12, 2010 1:34pm
Medium Bug Labs team jconnolly 285 posts

Everything I’ve run across about Bug says memory is 512mb.  I haven’t seen anything that talks about putting more than 512 mb of sodram in Bug.

The BUG absolutely does not have 512MB RAM.  It has 128MB of RAM.  See the specs here. 

Zoneminder (www.zoneminder.com) would allow you to do #1 and with an external sensor to detect the rain/floods, #2. I haven’t currently tried Zoneminder on Bug, the big issue being at 320×240 resolution, you need 1mb of ram

If I were to do this project, I would use the following:

1. A temperature/humidity sensor integrated with the VonHippel module to sense rainfall.
  2. A UVC-compatible webcam capable of recording video (cheap, usually <$75)
  3. Ditch the zoneminder idea and write your own custom application using our tools, or something from openembedded that is already done for you.

Oct 18, 2010 8:39am
Medium GNUtoo 10 posts

For the camera you could use  the flexibility of gstreamer if you have it for 1.4.3 in the extra feeds:

http://bugcommunity.com/wiki/index.php/Video

For the power consumption check that:

http://bugcommunity.com/wiki/index.php/Power_Co…

For the sensors, check the von hippel page:

http://bugcommunity.com/wiki/index.php/Von_Hippel with the http://bugcommunity.com/wiki/index.php/ADC_HOWTO

For the memory, I bet you mean storage, I’m not sure but I bet it could support 16G microsd-cards.

If that’s not enough the von-hippel has an usb host port, but beware, the limit is 100mA, pratically speaking that means that it supports most usb-keys but not 2.5” usb-powered hard drives.

Denis.

Oct 24, 2012 1:18am
User_img_not_found_01_med qazqazqaz 469 posts

As a perfect combination of classic and modern fashion,Coach Outlet Online Julia Bags can show the customers'unique personality.Tiffany UK grabbed the globe, stands out as the celeb on their favorite stars luxury type, granted an innovative simple move the pavement luxury, complete with luxury.In terms of the quality and superior design that make more and more customers are satisfied to Coach Factory Online.Welcome!hat experts claim Coach Outlet Online shopping is in the changes they are available in.As long as you open our Coach Factory Outlet webpage, you will view various Coach New Arrivals which are the most popular also the most fashionable in this year.On the date when the Louis Vuitton UK on sale, all people will pour into the stores. At this time, it on the booths will be wiped out, and only one or two days the seller will declare that there is no stock anymore.

Oct 24, 2012 3:53am
User_img_not_found_01_med qazqazqaz 469 posts

Remember that the right accessories can enhance your alluring look with your Canada Goose Parkas Outlet.Baggy, ovoid shaped Canada Goose Jackets Outlet that are rounded around the shoulders look fabulous and can be a perfect match for you.This excellent conviction so that you class gets to amateur Canada Goose Outlet In a number of Parka, for example Young Canada Goose affordable Cardigan.Luxury has always been synonymous with fur and leather and this year a faux fur Canada Goose Jackets Outlet will surely be the key piece of your wardrobe.

Dec 7, 2012 12:37am
User_img_not_found_04_med snapbackone 20 posts

Slowly, by virtue of Snapback Hats
what coach Pete Carroll calls “an ongoing ascending process,” Seattle
quarterback Russell Wilson is winning over every skeptic.Fans. Snapback Hats Sale

. Opponents. Coaches. And, perhaps most important, teammates.If there was any remaining doubt that Wilson had earned the complete confidence of
even the most cynical Seahawks veterans NBA
Snapback Hats

, hearing their MLB
Snapback Hats

after he engineered Sunday’s overtime victory in Chicago likely erased that.

That’s what happens when NFL
Snapback Hats

, as Sidney Rice said Wednesday Knit Hats

, “With the pressure on, he’s never failed us. He’s brought us to the table every Obey Snapback Hats
single time Supreme Snapback Hats

.”Rice, in fact, says he sometimes Ymcmb Snapback Hats
forgets that Wilson 47 Brand Snapback Hats
is a rookie NBA
Knit Hats

.”He doesn’t carry himself like a rookie NFL
Knit Hats

,” he said Supreme Knit Hats

. “He’s never shown a sign of being scared Atlanta Hawks Snapback Hats

.”“I think he’s just playing good football Boston Celtics Snapback Hats

,” added guard John Moffitt Chicago Bulls Snapback Hats

. “What you do on the field Dallas Mavericks Snapback Hats