BUG Community

Welcome! Log In

Forums BUGbase BugBase Boot Problem

Subscribe to BugBase Boot Problem  12 posts, 5 voices

May 6, 2008 10:28pm
Img_missing_medium zeusthrax 1 post

I got my Bug yesterday. It seems to be having boot issues :( . It start booting (Dark screen) then after about 3-5 min it emits some beeps and then animation starts but freezes about half done.

I read through some of the posts mentioning this and one them said to telnet into Bug, when I try telnet or SSH it fails.

I can ping the IP of the bug though.

May 7, 2008 11:36am
Img_missing_medium seth 4 posts

This is Seth, I’m a bug labs design and development engineer.

If you repeat the boot process, does exactly the same thing happen?

May 7, 2008 11:36am
Img_missing_medium seth 4 posts

If you have IRC access, join #buglabs on irc.freenode.net

May 7, 2008 1:30pm
Medium cdraptor 25 posts

I am going to get on IRC, but was wondering if anything was found out about this problem. I seem to be having a somewhat similar issue – I did a new post about it

May 7, 2008 3:14pm
Medium Bug Labs team jconnolly 285 posts

cdraptor
I am going to get on IRC, but was wondering if anything was found out about this problem. I seem to be having a somewhat similar issue - I did a new post about it

cdraptor,

From our conversation on IRC it sounds like you have a corrupt filesystem. There is an earlier post about what normal boot behavior should look like:

http://bugcommunity.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1423#1423

For our other community members, it is important to know that the MMC card contains the root filesystem for your BUG. I believe you may have run into problems when you did a forced-power down on your BUGbase. This can be thought of as similar to pressing and holding the power button on your desktop. The forced shutdown process cuts power before the OS has a chance to unmount filesystems, update filesystem journals, and run shutdown scripts.

Without access to a terminal, as of our current rootffs build, the only proper way to shut
down your BUGbase is through the menu system:

Press the joystick down (coming to "Access" on the BaseLCD)
    Press the joystick right 4x (coming to "Settings")
    Press the joystick down (coming to "About")
    Press the joystick right 2x (coming to "Shutdown")
    Press the joystick down once to engage the Shutdown process

Otherwise, at the terminal prompt, you may type

# shutdown

If your BUG takes an extraordinarily long amount of time to boot, this is a good indication that the root-filesystem has been corrupted. As of now, the only way to correct this is rewrite the rootfs to your MMCmicro card. This requires:

The rootfs tarball, located at http://bugcommunity.com/downloads
    The MMC adapter for your MMCmicro card, which should have shipped with your BUGbase
    A MMC card reader
    The ability to format the MMC card as ext2 or ext3
    The ability to untar the archive onto your MMC card.

The steps for doing this are on the bugcommunity wiki at http://bugcommunity.com/wiki/index.php/Flash_Your_MMC_Card

If you need additional support, I encourage you to join us in our IRC channel on Freenode, #buglabs, or to call us toll-free at 1-866-9BUGLAB (1-866-928-4522) between the hours of 9am-5pm, M-F, EST.
May 7, 2008 4:42pm
Medium cdraptor 25 posts

John and Seth, thanks for the help. I will be trying to reload the fs on the card tonight – I left the adapter at home for the MMC card.

Wanted to bring up something again that was mentioned. There are 2 ports, the ones on either side of the BugBASE where the joystick is which will run the LCD. I was working with the Bug fine last night, today, I was holding the Bug upside down, plugged in the LCD and turned it on, I didn’t realize what side it was until it was too late, the LCD was showing static. until chatting on IRC I didn’t realize the 5 second hold of the power button is not the best way to shutdown. It was after this that I had the problems.

So just a note, pay attention to where you plug in the LCD module.

May 8, 2008 5:46pm
Medium cdraptor 25 posts

Okay no luck with the built-in Multi-card reader showing up in VMWare, so I am going to try and find a USB Multi-card reader (if I am lucky there will be Linux drivers included) so I can setup the filesystem on the MMC.

As a back-up plan, any way we can order a pre-formatted MMC ready to roll, I may be interested in buying one to have an extra back-up Filesystem anyway.

May 8, 2008 8:26pm

cdraptor
Okay no luck with the built-in Multi-card reader showing up in VMWare, so I am going to try and find a USB Multi-card reader (if I am lucky there will be Linux drivers included) so I can setup the filesystem on the MMC.

As a back-up plan, any way we can order a pre-formatted MMC ready to roll, I may be interested in buying one to have an extra back-up Filesystem anyway.

Chuck,

I think it may have to do with the fact that the rootfs on the MMC is on an ext2 partition, and windows won't interact with it at all. I came across these posts, which may be relevant.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=313009
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=486573

Please send an email to support@buglabs.net for info on how to get a replacement MMC.
May 8, 2008 9:05pm
Medium cdraptor 25 posts

Good News

I went out today and bought the ScanDisk ImageMate 12-in-1 Card Reader/Writer. Since it’s USB I can set it to be found in VMWare. Walked through the steps you have posted perfectly.

Slapped it in, the Bug is now back in Action.

Now for a whole other problem. There was the mention of the Menu system on the Bug – where you joystick down, to Access >, then joystick right My Problem is here nothing happens when I move the joystick right.

I can move up/down and I see basically

Access >

STATUSBAR [enabled]

down to the enable/disable.

Could I have possibly a defective Joystick button. I was wondering how the menu worked the first day, I didn’t see much going on. Anyway to test the Joystick, for now I will USB it and do the "shutdown" in shell

The joys of "bleeding edge" :)

May 8, 2008 9:13pm

cdraptor
Good News
Slapped it in, the Bug is now back in Action.
The joys of "bleeding edge" :)

Chuck,

Great!! and: meh. The joys of bleeding edge indeed. Try

from the plant (only to ME :wink: ) . The problem may reside in the plastics of the casing pressing too tightly against the joystick, or it may be an electrical contact problem with the joystick hardware itself. Either way, we'll be happy when you're happy.

May 8, 2008 11:34pm
Medium cdraptor 25 posts

John

The command you posted was helpful, but with slight modification

The kernel.log, is kern.log, at least on what I have on my bug the R1.1 FS

So I was messing around, I would run the tail command, mess with the joystick, then do it again.

So looks like my right may not be working. here is what I find

code 265 – Joystick Down
code 264 – Joystick Up
code 263 – Joystick Right

No code value is logged when I try to click Right

Also something I found when reloading the Filesystem on the MMC, you have to re-setup your connection at least in Vista.

I will be on IRC for a bit, I see your logged in

Jan 8, 2013 9:34pm
User_img_not_found_04_med Ammy 26 posts

Over the centuries cheap wedding guest dresses have changed, but a bride
has always wanted her dress to be special, to make her look more beautiful.
Centuries ago, only the rich could afford materials of red, purple, and true
black; therefore, the wealthy brides would wear night club dresses of color adorned with jewels. The
bride would actually glitter in the sunshine. The dress with flowing sleeves or
a train was a status symbol, for the poor had to use material as sparingly as
possible. Factory-made materials, with their lower dress for wedding, caused the lost of the original
meaning of the train of a wedding gown, but it became a tradition over
time.Fashions changed from gowns of color to ones of white, or a variation of
white, but since cheap dresses for wedding guest wasn’t a practical
shade for most purposes, blue became another favorite, as did pink. In the
1800’s, gray became a color for wedding gowns for brides of lower classes
because the princess wedding dresses 2012 became re-used as the
bride’s Sunday best.

Forums BUGbase BugBase Boot Problem