BUG Community

Welcome! Log In

Forums BUGbase problem with boot loader

Subscribe to problem with boot loader  5 posts, 2 voices

Apr 18, 2008 7:39pm
User_img_not_found_06_med cameronmcl... 8 posts

When I turn my bug on it takes a long time to get to the boot loader and when it does the bug logo animates for only a few times, then it freezes.

Apr 18, 2008 10:23pm
Medium Bug Labs team jconnolly 285 posts

cameron m
When I turn my bug on it takes a long time to get to the boot loader and when it does the bug logo animates for only a few times, then it freezes.

cameron m, what you should be seeing is this:

1. With the BUGBase initially off and no modules attached, slide and release the power switch.
2. The blue LEDs on the front panel will light up momentarily.
3. The BaseLCD screen will light up
4. The BaseLCD will display a static BUG logo (inverted colors, logo-white, surrounding space-black).
5. After approximately 25 seconds, the backlight for the BaseLCD will turn off momentarily.
6. You may hear a series of beeps sounding from the Base speaker.
7. An animation of the BUG logo will appear on the BaseLCD, indicating boot activity.
8. After approximately 10 seconds, the animation will disappear and the system clock will display on the BaseLCD.

This is the normal boot time and behavior for the BUGBase. You describe the animation loading, indicating that the root filesystem is mounted and the boot scripts are executing normally. Do you see the clock after the animation ceases?

Using the joystick to navigate the menu will indicate the the OS has booted to completion and that the Virtual Machine and OSGi bundles have loaded. What happens when you move the joystick in the down position? You should see:

Access >
Apr 19, 2008 12:15am
User_img_not_found_06_med cameronmcl... 8 posts

i never see the clock it freezes before it gets there, the animation of the bug logo freezes and its only half the logo that shows. it takes about 5 minutes to get to the animation then a few seconds in to the animation then freezes.

Thanks,

Cameron

Apr 19, 2008 8:08am
Medium Bug Labs team jconnolly 285 posts

cameron m
i never see the clock it freezes before it gets there, the animation of the bug logo freezes and its only half the logo that shows. it takes about 5 minutes to get to the animation then a few seconds in to the animation then freezes.

Thanks,

Cameron

Cameron,

I'm sorry for the frustration! :? Sounds like you were right, you're having boot problems. Did this problem arise out of the box, or with any reconfiguration? After the animation loads and freezes, have you tried to configure USBNet? http://buglabs.net/start

The USB network interface on the BUGBase is configured prior to the animation loading, so you should be able to set that up. If you can get networking, then you should be able to telnet or ssh into your BUG and take a look at some of the logs.