BUG Community

Welcome! Log In

Forums BUGbase serial UARTs

Subscribe to serial UARTs  5 posts, 2 voices

Mar 18, 2008 9:58pm
Img_missing_medium pfaulstich 2 posts

Hi there,

I’ve been trying to get my project to work w/ a gumstix and am pretty frustrated b/c they haven’t fully implemented the serial UARTs, so I’m looking at other options. I haven’t found the specs for the UARTs on the Bug Labs site – can you tell me what they are? In particular, I need to connect to a product at 19200 baud, 8/0/1, and use DTR and RTS for flow control. Are there serial ports available, or would I need to wire directly into the board or connect to a header?

Thanks,

Paul

Mar 19, 2008 1:23pm
Medium Bug Labs team agordon 74 posts

Hi, pfaulstich

Without knowing the exact issues you’re encountering with the gumstix, I’m not sure that I can give you a 100% answer, but I’ll do my best for now, and get more details to you soon.

I know that we are able to do console logins to the BUG via a cable we made in-house (and will eventually provide through our store, from what I understand). You should also be able to make one of these cables as well—I’ll see about getting you the specs.

In the meantime, I’ll look into getting the exact UART chipset we’re using, and post that up here for you.

Mar 19, 2008 1:42pm

More info, in the hope that it helps:

The BUG is based on the Freescale MX31 processor (basically an implementation of the ARM11 processor). Freescale provides details on the MX31 on their site, including this PDF, which gives some details about the UART implementation.

From what I can tell, they say as follows:

Universal Asynchronous Receiver Transmitter (UART) There are five UART modules in each i.MX31 and i.MX31L processor, each capable of providing standard RS-232, non-return-to-zero (NRZ) encoding format, and IrDA-compatible infrared modes.

In addition, the Serial InfraRed (SIR) protocol, which supports data rate 115.2Kbps or lower, is implemented in the UART modules.
Mar 19, 2008 10:52pm
Img_missing_medium pfaulstich 2 posts

thanks. I’ll have to do a bit more digging. the pdf you provided is quite interesting.

I assume the cable you made is a null-modem cable. You might not need more than transmit, recieve, and ground connections to run a terminal session through a null-modem cable, so the test so far doesn’t tell me much. I’ll have to look at schematics.

Does the BUGbase have the serial ports exposed, or would I be soldering to the board?

Thanks again – Paul

Mar 20, 2008 3:50pm

The cable is serial-to-HandyLink™, iirc. Ot the other way around, depending on how you look at it. :D

Forums BUGbase serial UARTs