BUG Community

Welcome! Log In

Forums Applications Is BUG right for me?

Subscribe to Is BUG right for me?  16 posts, 4 voices

Mar 3, 2010 8:44pm
User_img_not_found_03_med Raynentye 10 posts

Hi! I’ve posted about this in the past and only recently have I picked up the project again, and the first thing I asked myself, could BUG do this?

Ok, I work with fire alarm systems. Yeah, I know, most of you are thinking, “A wha?” You know, when you burn toast or popcorn in the office and it sets the smoke detector off. There’s a lot of noise and everyone leaves the building to wait until the fire department gets there to shut them off and tell everyone to go back inside because it is safe. Fire alarms.

Well, some are very basic and need little service work. However, others are quite sophisticated and need rather indepth troubleshooting when something goes wrong. Its these complex units I’d like to adapt BUG to work with. These intricate fire alarms are what we call “addressable” because each device has its own address or designation to differentiate themselves from all the others. Most current addressable systems have an RS-232 Printer and/or computer port, as well as an RS-485 port. Addressable systems are usually in larger facilities, yet they are not necessarily designated strictly to large buildings. Some are in smaller buildings and, due to new fire code, they will probably be in every building sooner or later.

While troubleshooting a problem, I’m constantly running back and forth from an area where the problem “may” be and the main control panel. This can be a hassle if there are a lot of locked doors between the panel and I; or can be time consuming depending on the distance. Most times, I just need to see what the panel’s status is. Or, if its an intermittent problem, I’ll connect a mini serial printer so I at least determine a “guesstimate” that I’m in the right spot.

This project I mentioned earlier has been a long time dream to bring the fire alarm main control with me as I work on an issue. I have solved the distance issue, albeit with a few minor bugs to iron out, using long range radio modems from Digi. They utilized porting the RS-232 info over one modem to another modem that is connected to my computer. Both modems have a standard 9 pin “D” RS-232 port. In essence, infomation is fed to one modem, and the other modem emulates the info being sent to it. But I gotta say, its a real pain to lug around the laptop (that keeps dying because the battery is on its way out), the power supply for the radio modem, and all my other tools necessary to repair what needs to be repaired! The radio modem, power supply and tools all fit in or on my tool belt, but the laptop is not oly cumbersome but precious because of all the valuable software and information on it. I’d rather keep it at the panel or in the truck.

So, finally, after all the explaination that probably no one will read anyways, can the BUG utilizing a BUGview  interface with RS-232 protocol?

With my laptop, I use HyperTerminal, varying Bps from 2400 to 9600 (depending on the panel I’m interfacing with), 7 or 8 Data Bits (again, depending on the panel), No or Even or Odd Parity (yep, depends on the panel), 1 Stop Bit, and either No or Hardware Flow Control.

If it is possible, that would be awesome! I can then continue to build on it by creating a control method. I’d then be able to control the panel to a certain degree by adding control points and a wireless relay control circuit.

Anyone have any ideas out there? Again, I’m sorry for the lenghty explaination. But if someone is able to help, at least they know the whole story. Thank you for your time.

Mar 3, 2010 11:58pm
Medium icubed 21 posts

I don’t know if it is right for you, but myself and wwward would like to talk to you soon.  Both he and I are interested in topics that are at least tangential, and at best very closely related to this.  Have you been in the IRC channel at all?  That would be a good place to chat.

Mar 4, 2010 1:55pm

I don’t know if it is right for you, but myself and wwward would like to talk to you soon.  Both he and I are interested in topics that are at least tangential, and at best very closely related to this.  Have you been in the IRC channel at all?  That would be a good place to chat.

Hi! I haven’t been in the IRC at all. Do you have a link? I’d like to progress in this project and I’m a bit stuck and would welcome any advice!

Mar 4, 2010 1:57pm

Nevermind! Found the IRC link!

Mar 4, 2010 9:06pm
Medium icubed 21 posts

Rayne,

wwward and I had a quick chat this evening and we want to talk to you live both of us at the same time.  I am usually not in the channel except for in the evenings (GMT +6).  We are both hoping to be clear of our current projects in about two weeks and can devote some serious time to this.  I am not a systems integrator, but I have some small amount of hands on experience with some industrial bus protocols.

Anyways, I hope to catch you on one night and get more details from you.

Mar 4, 2010 10:07pm

Hey icubed! Yeah, wwward and I spoke via IRC earlier. Please don’t put your selves out for me! Both of you seem to be well beyond my expertise! I appreciate any help I can get!

I’ve always been interested in communication technologies.But my knowledge of communications has been limited to telcom and a bit of WiFi and LAN. I know, not much, but I’m self-taught in this end. My true formal knowledge is in component level electronics. Resistors, capacitors, transistors, logic circuits, microprocessor programming, etc. I’ve very little knowhow in C+ and Q Basic… I’m dating myself…

This has been a “thought project” for near a decade.  But its only been recently that the technology has been cheap and prevalent enough for me to attempt it. Not to mention easy enough for me to understand!

Anyways, back to the project:

I’d like this unit to work on a multitude of different Addressable Fire Alarm Systems out there. It seems that the common simple communications method utilized is RS-232. Most , if not all of them use an RS-232 port for serial printing (hard copies of the system’s status). My thinking is that I could use this port to send, wirelessly, the system status to a portable viewing setup (like the BUGview). From that point, bi-directional control would not be possible through the RS-232 port. It tends to be designed that way in almost all of the panels I’ve ever worked on. For panel control, I was thinking on using a local relay board with normally open contacts that would be monitored by the fire alarm control panel itself. The monitor modules monitoring them would be programmed in the fire panel to perform basic commands once the relays are activated. I’d only need maybe four channels: Acknowledge, Signal Silence, System Reset, and Drill. Of course, I’m only limited by the fire alarm’s abilities in this respect. But in esscense, that’s exactly what a remote annunciator does, and that’s all I really need.

I understand that wwward was trying to maybe use the onboard radios of the BUG, but I’m not so sure it’ll work. I know Zigbee is an extraordinary mesh network protocol. If there was a Zigbee mesh network already installed, that would work perfectly. But I’m usually working in places like secure office buildings that don’t allow Wifi for fear of local hacking methods. I wouldn’t mind using it in another project I’ve thought of for a bit. But I think I’m stuck with the Digi radio modems I have.On the up side, they’re up to 1 watt powerful and I have 3! So I can use one as the panel radio, the other for the mobile radio, and the other can be placed out in the field to the furthest extent of the panel radio and used as a repeater. I have yet to experiment with the repeater setup but I know for a fact that the radios do work. I was able to get a bidirectional signal too!

Mar 5, 2010 8:58am
Medium wwward 8 posts

Ray, I don’t have enough experience with the ZigBee/.15 stuff to say what the effective ranges will be, but they’re worth checking out.  I’m going to have to figure it out anyway for an unrelated project.  At the moment, there are only a few communication modules for the bug, so the xBee and BugBee pairing would be the most practical from a size perspective.  If it absolutely cannot be made to work, there are plenty of options, but the BugBee is by far one of the most simple to prototype.

The other thing that would be worth checking out is how much effort to shrink that Digi product – if Digi sells the guts of that modem for embeddable designs, or if it uses something common that could be sourced as a module-friendly board with FCC certification for the antenna/transmitter combo already handled by the manufacturer.

Anything that comes out of something like this would be useful for a variety of fields and engineers, so it’s worth building a “bus multimeter.”

Mar 5, 2010 1:44pm

I agree. I’d like to check the Zigbee stuff out. One thing that would be great is if it had a large bandwidth to stream multiple signals. To put it in terms of this project, a wireless (Zigbee) signal between two (or more if meshed) radios that allows RS-232 communication as well as other streams of data. I am going to research Zigbee a bit more.

Thanks guys!

Mar 14, 2010 5:31pm
Medium wwward 8 posts

I’m done with the Teletype project, photos here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/wwward0/sets/72157…

I’ll start poking at the xBee setup now.  gigahertz wireless range is so finicky, but I think we should give it a due look before we write it off as inadequate.  In my case, I was using WiFi ad-hoc to cover a very large open space.  If you’re doing an installation in a new office building, it’s likely you’ll have a lot of good free space to bounce the xBee signals around in.

Willis and I are going to start banging on it shortly.  An Electrical Engineer’s tricorder, that’s what this should be.

Bill

Mar 14, 2010 7:43pm

The only problem is the application I need this for is existing systems. I could use the XBee but would have to set up temp repeaters every now and then. I did get a demo kit from Digi, the long range version. The range is really low. I find the 900MHz frequency has a phenominal range compared. I’m going to opt for the BUG 2.0 when it comes out.

Mar 14, 2010 7:51pm
Medium wwward 8 posts

Take a look at this: http://www.digi.com/products/wireless/point-mul…

900Mhz xBee module. 

Mar 14, 2010 7:57pm

No kidding?! I thought ZigBee was limited to 2.4GHz in the US! Looks like I have to take another look! Thanks!

Mar 23, 2010 12:22am
Medium wwward 8 posts

iCubed/Willis – Lets start this project we were discussing.  My big work-related project is tailing off, as are my personal projects this week.  Hit me up at wwward ! pobox.com.

Bill

Mar 28, 2010 7:15pm

Hey wwward/Bill, its gonna take me a bit to scrape together the money for a Bug Kit. I’ll keep you guys posted once I do get one.

Apr 13, 2010 5:39pm
Medium wwward 8 posts

We got more info.  First, there is an xBee implementation with an insane amount of range – 1 watt in the 900MHz ISM band.  40 miles line of sight.  Not sure what the effective range is inside a building, but probably nontrivial.

Second, Willis and I are looking at a few interesting things along the lines of the control bus effort we discussed earlier.  It’s a side project for us, so we’re not working on it full-time, but it’s interesting work.

Dec 5, 2012 6:35am
User_img_not_found_02_med waleed20100 1191 posts

نايس توبيك جميل حلو شباب استمرو توبيكات رووووووووووووعه
منتديات حنين الحب منتدي مصرى عربي ترفيهى
Nice Towpik beautiful sweet young Astmarw Topakat
Forums nostalgia Forums Egyptian love entertaining
مسجات حب
رسالة حب
رساله حب
رسائل حب
صلاة الاستخارة
توبيكات جروحي
برودكاست
دعاء الاستخارة
رسائل حب
صوردينيه
فساتين زفاف
منتديات
صوردينا
صورةاجمل امراة
صفات الابراج
برجك اليوم
صور ورد
صور قلوب
صور اسلامية
صور بنات
صورفاطمة وكريم
توبيكات
صور فنانات
خلفيات بلاك بيري
خلفيات البلاك بيري
صور اذكار
خلفيات للبلاك بيري
صور جنات
رسائل
بنت كول
صور اطفال
اطفال
صور نانسي
صور
حظك اليوم
ابراج اليوم
صورحروف
صور حزينة
حالات واتس اب
صور كريستيانو
حالات واتس اب مزخرفه
صوردينية
صور دينيه
صور دينية
صور سيارات
صور السيارات
صور عربيات
حالات واتس اب مزخرفه 2013
حالات واتس اب 2013
منتديات بنات
منتديات مصر
منتدى مصر
منتديات مصرية
منتدى
صور اليسا
اليسا
منتديات بنات مصر
منتدي بنات
منتدي بنات مصر
برودكاست حزينه
برودكاست حزينة
برودكاست حزين
توبيكات نك نيمات واتس اب
توبيكات واتس اب
نك نيمات واتس اب
نيمات واتس اب
صور حزينه
رسايل حب
مسجات
صور2013
صور 2013
فساتين سهرات
فساتين سهرة
فساتين سهره
توبيكات الحب
توبيكات عشق
رسائل عتاب
صور فراق
صور الفراق
صور حزن
توبيكات جروحي 2013
توبيكات جروحى
رسائل اسلامية
رسائل اسلامية
مسجات اسلاميه
مسجات اسلامية
صور حب
صور عشاق
صور رومانسية
صور رومانسيه
خلفيات البلاك بيري بنات
خلفيات للبلاك بيري بنات
خلفيات بلاك بيري بنات 2013
خلفيات بلاك بيري بنات
خلفيات البلاك بيري بنات 2013
خلفيات البلاك بيري بنات
خلفيات بلاك بيري حب
خلفيات البلاك بيري حب
خلفيات حب للبلاك بيري
خلفيات للبلاك بيري حب
حنين الحب
منتديات حنين الحب
منتدي حنين الحب
منتدى حنين الحب
شبكه حنين الحب
حنين الحب
مركز تحميل صور
مركز رفع صور سريع جدا
مركز تحميل صور
رفع صور
مركز رفع صور
مركز رفع صور سريع
منتدي اسلامي
منتدي عام
اخبار اليوم
حافز
اخبار حافز
وظائف خالية
وظائف خالية 2013
وظائف خاليه
السفر والسياحه
شعر
خواطر
قصص
قصص 2013
ابدعات
فساتين 2013
ازياء 2013
ازياء حوامل
ملابس حوامل
فساتين حوامل
اكسسوارات 2013
اكسسوارات
طبخ
وصفات طبخ
حلويات 2013
حلويات
ازياء اطفال
ملابس اطفال
ملابس رجالى
ازياء رجالى
صور2013
صور 2013
صور منوعات
صور رومانسية
صور حزينة
صور حب
صور اسلامية
صور اسلاميه
صور فنانين
صور فنانات
خلفيات بلاك بيري
خلفيات ايفون
خلفيات ايباد
برودكاست بلاك بيري
توبيكات ملونة
توبيكات حلوة
مسجات
رسائل
رسائل حب
برجك اليوم 2013
حظك اليوم 2013
برامج مجانية
برامج مجانية 2013
برامج 2013
برامج نت
اغانى شعبي
اغانى شعبي 2013
تحميل مهراجانات
مهرجانات
خلفيات فيس بوك
اغلفه فيس بوك
اغلفه الفيس بوك
شفرات المزرعه السعيدة
الرياضة
اخبار الرياضة
صور سيارات
صور سيارات 2013
سيارات 2013
نكت
نكت مضحكة
نكت 2013
نكت جديدة
فساتين زفاف
اشيك فساتين زفاف
فساتين سهرة 2013
فساتين سهرات 2013
ازياء سهرات جديدة
فساتين سوارية
فساتين سوارية شيك
فساتين سوارية 2013
فساتين سهرة مودرن
احلى فساتين سوارية
فساتين سهرة طويلة
فساتين سهرة لبنانية
فساتين سهرة جديدة
فساتين سوارية انيقة
فساتين سوارية مميزة
اشيك موديلات للسهرات
فساتين سهرة قصيرة
اجمل فساتين للسهرات
ازياء سوارية
احدث ازياء للسهررات
فساتين جذابة
فساتين طويلة
فساتين طويلة 2013
فساتين بناتى
اشيك فساتين سوارية
مسجات شوق
رسائل شوق
اقوي رسائل حب
رسائل فراق
رسايل فراق
رسائل الفراق 2013
رسائل الفراق
رسائل حزينة
رسائل حزينه
مسجات فراق حزينة
مسجات فراق
رسائل حب للموبايل
مسجات حب جامده
احلى رسائل الحب
مسجات اسلاميه 2013
مسجات اسلاميه للموبايل
مسجات مضحكه
مسجات مضحكة
مسجات مضحكه 2013
مسجات مضحكة 2013
رسائل مضحكه 2013
رسائل مضحكه
رسائل مضحكة
رسائل جوال مضحكة
رسائل جوال مضحكه
رسائل نكت
رسائل نكت للموبايل
رسائل نكت 2013
مسجات نكت
مسجات نكت 2013
مسجات نكت للجوال
مسجات نكت للجوال 2013
مسجات تموت من الضحك
مسجات عتاب قويه
مسجات عتاب
مسجات عتاب 2013
مسجات عتاب للجوال
مسجات عتاب حلوة
رسائل عتاب 2013
رسايل عتاب
اقوى رسائل عتاب
احدث رسائل عتاب
مسجات غرامية
مسجات غرامية صباحية
مسجات غرامية 2013
توبيكات حب
توبيكات حب ملونة
توبيكات حب ملونه
توبيكات ملونه حب
توبيكات حب 2013
احلى توبيكات حب
توبيكات حب حلوة
توبيكات رقيقة للماسنجر
توبيكات حب وشوق
توبيكات عشق جديدة
توبيكات عشق ملونة
توبيكات للواتس اب
توبيكات قصيره للواتس اب
توبيكات واتس اب حزينة
توبيكات حزينة للواتس اب
وبيكات واتس اب حزينة 2013
توبيكات غرور
توبيكات غرامية
توبيكات حب للماسنجر
توبيكات صباح الخير
توبيكات صباحي
ك نيم واتس اب
توبيكات رومانسية
توبيكات حزينة
توبيكات حزينة روعة
توبيكات اسماء بنات
توبيكات اسامي
توبيكات حب خقق
توبيكات حب حلوة
توبيكات احباب
توبيكات جروحي روعة
جروحي
توبيكات حزينة
توبيكات حزينة 2013
توبيكات حزينه
توبيكات حزينه 2013
احدث توبيكات حزينة ملونة
توبيكات حزينة ملونة
توبيكات ملونة حزينة
توبيكات ادعية
توبيكات دينية 2013
صور بنات خطيرة
صور بنات 2013
صور للبنات
صور حلوة للبنات
صور بنات حلوة
صور بنات خطيرة مرة
صور بنات كول
بنات كول
صور بنات كول 2013
صور اطفال 2013
صور اطفال حلوة
صور اطفال صغيرة
اطفال 2013
صور اطفال جميله
صور حلوة 2013
صور حلوة
صور2013 حلوة
صور الفراق 2013
صور حزن 2013
صور حب رومانسية
صور شوق
صور شوق وحب
صور شوق رومانسية
صور شوق رومانسيه
صور الفراق وألم
صور حزن وألم
صور حزينة 2013
صور الفراق
صور فراق
الفراق والحزن
صور الحزن حزينة
صور احزان 2013
صور احزان
صور حزينة 2013 جديدة
صور حزينة جديدة
صور حزن جديدة
الصور الحزينة
صور الفراق والحزن
صور الحزن
صور فراق جديدة
صور رومانسية 2013
صور عشاق 2013
صور غرامية 2013
صور غرامية
صور شوق
صور شوق وغرام
صور غرام 2013
صور غرام
صور حب للعشاق
صور حب رومانسية
رسائل الواتس اب
مسجات واتس اب
رسائل الواتس اب للبي بي
برودكاست واتس اب علميه
رسائل واتس اب علميه
رسائل واتس اب 2013
مسجات واتس اب دينيه
رسائل واتس اسلاميه
برودكاست الاختبارات للواتس اب
برودكاست العودة المدارس
برودكاست بلاك بيرى
توبيكات واتس اب مزخرفة
توبيكات للواتس اب
برودكاست عتاب
برودكاست عتاب 2013
برودكاست بي بي عتاب
برودكاست بلاك بيري عتاب
برودكاست جنان
برودكاست ذكريات للواتس اب
برودكاست بلاك بيري ذكرى
بيرسونال واتس اب
بيرسونال واتس اب مزخرف
بيرسونالات للواتس اب
بيرسونالات للواتس اب ملونة
رمزيات واتس اب للعيد الوطني السعودي
صور واتس اب عن العيد الوطني
برودكاست بي بي المدرسه
بيرسونال المدارس مضحكة
بيرسونال دعاء 2013
بيرسونال دعاء
بيرسونال دعاء للبلاك بيري
برودكاست ادعية
برودكاست بلاك بيرى ادعية
برودكاست ادعية للبلاك بيرى
بي سي غرام
بي سي غرام 2013
برودكاست شوق
برودكاست غرام
برودكاست جديد للبلاك بيري
برودكاست شعر
برودكاست حب مميزة
برودكاست رومانسي
برودكاست جريئ جديد
برودكاست حب
برودكاست احبك
برودكاست حب للبلاك بيري
برودكاست ديني
برودكاست دعاء 2013
برودكاست دعاء
برودكاست واتس اب
برودكاست روعة للواتس اب
برودكاست واتس اب للبلاك بيري
برودكاست محششين
برودكاست تحشيش جديد
برودكاست محششين للبلاك بيري
برودكاست جديد للواتس اب
برودكاست عشق
برودكاست العاشقين
برودكاست عشق للبلاك بيري
برودكاست حزينه حديثة
خلفيات بلاك بيري بدون حقوق
خلفيات البلاك بيري بدون حقوق
خلفيات بلاك بيري 2013
خلفيات للبلاك بيري بدون حقوق
خلفيات البلاك بيري 2013
خلفيات للبلاك بيري 2013
خلفيات البلاك بيري بنات 2013
خلفيات للبلاك بيري بنات 2013
خلفيات بلاك بيري حب 2013
خلفيات البلاك بيري حب 2013
خلفيات حب للبلاك بيري 2013
رمزيات بلاك بيري
رمزيات بلاك بيري 2013
خلفيات بلاك بيري حزينه 2013
خلفيات بلاك بيري حزينه
خلفيات بي بي بنات
خلفيات بي بي بنات 2013
رمزيات بي بي رسومات بنات
رمزيات بي بي رسومات
خلفيات للبنات 2013
خلفيات للايفون 2013
خلفيات للايفون
خلفيات بي بي حزينه
خلفيات حزن للبي بي
خلفيات بي بي حزينه 2013
خلفيات ناعمة للبلاك بيرى
خلفيات بلاك بيرى استغفار
خلفيات استغفار للبى بى
خلفيات بلاك بيرى خفق
خلفيات بلاك بيرى راقية
خلفيات بلاك بيرى خفق 2013
خلفيات بلاك بيرى قطط
خلفيات قطط للبلاك بيرى 2013
خلفيات قطط للبلاك بيرى
خلفيات بلاك بيرى جميلة
خلفيات بلاك بيرى اطفال 2013
خلفيات بلاك بيرى اطفال
خلفيات للبلاك بيرى بولد 2013
خلفيات للبلاك بيرى بولد
خلفيات ايفون دلع 2013
خلفيات ايفون دلع
خلفيات ايفون بنات
خلفيات ايفون بنات 2013
خلفيات ايفون 2013
خلفيات ايفون
خلفيات ايفون راقية
خلفيات ايفون بنات خفق 2013
خلفيات ايفون بنات خفق
خلفيات ايفون كشخة
خلفيات ايفون رومانسيه
خلفيات ايفون رومانسيه 2013
بيجامات حوامل جديدة
بيجامات حوامل
بيجامات حوامل 2013
فساتين طويلة للحوامل 2013
فساتين طويلة للحوامل
فساتين حوامل 2013
فساتين حوامل
بلوزات للحوامل 2013
بلوزات للحوامل
بنطلونات للحوامل 2013
بنطلونات للحوامل
صور بنطلونات للحوامل
ملابس حوامل
ملابس حوامل 2013
ازياء حوامل 2013
ازياء حوامل
ملابس للحوامل
فساتين سهرات للحوامل
فساتين حوامل 2013
احذية سواريه 2013
احذية سواريه
احذية سوارية
صور احذية سواريه شيك
صور احذية سواريه
شنط جلد حريمي 2013
شنط جلد حريمي
احلى شنط جلد حريمي
شنط للخروجات 2013
شنط للخروجات
شوزات جديدة للبنات
شوزات للخروجات
احذية بناتى 2013
احذية بناتى
شنط بنات للجامعات
شنط بناتى 2013
شنط بناتى
شنط حريمى 2013
شنط حريمى
صنادل فلات 2013
صنادل فلات
صنادل فلات للحوامل
صنادل فلات مريحة
احذية كعب عالى
صور صنادل كعب عالى 2013
صور صنادل كعب عالى
صنادل كعب عالى
شوزات بناتى 2013
نكت مصرية 2013
نكت مصرية
نكت مصرية جديدة
نكت مصرية جديدة قصيرة
نكت محششين 2013
نكت محششين
نكت محششين سعودية
Jokes Mahshchin 2013
نكت متزوجين للكبار
نكت متزوجين سعوديين
صور سيارات 2013
صور عربيات 2013
صور سيارات حديثة
صور سيارات حديثه
سيارات 2013
سيارات
عربيات
عربيات 2013
صور عربيات حديثه
صور عربيات حديثة
سيارات حديثة
صور مطربات
صور ممثلين
صور مطربين
صور فنانات 2013
فنانات
صور مطربات 2013
مطربات
صور ممثلات 2013
صور ممثلات
تردد قناة الحياة سينما
تردد قناة الحياة
التردد الجديد لقناة الحياه
تردد قناه الجزيرة الرياضية
تردد قناة الجزيرة الرياضية 2013
قناة الجزيرة الرياضية
تردد قناه التحرير
تردد قناه التحرير الجديد
تردد قناة التحرير 2013
قناة التحرير
تردد قناه المصراوية سينما
تردد قناة المصراوية
قناة المصراوية سينما
تردد قناه شعبيات الجديد
تردد قناه شعبيات
تردد قناة شعبيات 2013

Forums Applications Is BUG right for me?
Login