BUG Community

Welcome! Log In

Forums Applications GPSUtilities & LocationList services

Subscribe to GPSUtilities & LocationList services  17 posts, 7 voices

Feb 6, 2008 3:51pm
Medium Bug Labs team kschultz 107 posts

I have made two apps that provide services relating to the GPS.

The first is the GPSUtilities app, it takes finsprings’s great PositionHelper class and wraps it in OSGi, and adds a few more methods (compass bearing, toString in UTM and DD format in addition to his orginal DMS format). I am going to make it available via HTTP tomorrow. The goal is spare people having to cut and paste positionhelper into each app every time. There won’t be much performance benefit but it will make older apps easier to maintain if the positionhelper gets upgraded. I transitioned GPSAlarmClock from the positionhelper class to GPSUtilities service fairly easily.

The second service is a bit more ambition. I call it LocationList, and I haven’t quite finished it yet. The idea is along the lines of a Contact List on a cell phone, except for GPS coordinates. We are going to have a bunch of GPS apps running on the BUG at once, and it is inefficient to add locations to each one individually both for storage space, coding time, and user time entering positions. The LocationList provides a central database of position for all the apps to access. My other thought is that there will be mutiple ways to enter new locations seperate from the list itself, such that you could have an app that records your current position into it, you can have an app that looks up locations on google maps and gets the coordinates, or you could enter them manually.

Currently I have to make a few decisions about LocationList, what fields each entry should need, how to store the entries, etc. I’m thinking the name of the location, its lat/long coordinates in a LatLon object, as well as optional info about phone number and street address. Is there anything else critical to know?

I’m looking for input on both apps because I would like for them to be implemented in a lot of apps to save everyone time and effort, rather than have a bunch of different libraries and versions of libraries, lets take advantage of OSGi/HTTP services where possible.

What do guys think?

Mar 25, 2008 1:05pm
Img_missing_medium tevslin 16 posts

Kevin:

Where are the GPS Utilities located? Am trying to build a GPS app and looking at the alarm clock as a model but it gives me errors in the project because it cant load the utilites.

Thanks.

Mar 25, 2008 3:52pm
Medium Bug Labs team finsprings 268 posts

There's a separate app called GPS Utilities on Bugnet:
http://buglabs.net/applications/kschultz/GPSUtilities

You'll need to download it as normal then make your app project dependent on it. Having said that, that got it the alarm clock compile for me, but I had runtime problems with it finding the utilities when deployed to the virtualbug.

If you get to that point though, you could just copy the files into your project temporarily until the the runtime part is figured out. I think Kevin was looking into that.
Mar 25, 2008 5:42pm

Yea, there is a problem during runtime and a bugzilla report is filed, at the moment I haven’t been touching it because I am crushed in my midterm week but next week I should have a chance to look into it.

Mar 27, 2008 3:49pm
Img_missing_medium tevslin 16 posts

Loading the GPSUtilities did make the gspsalarmclock work in the virtual bug. However, it does not seem to work in the real bug (no app appears on the LCD even when I load both the app and the utilites onto the bug. should I be combinging them in some different way? Has it been tested on a real BUG. Kevin, I know you’re in exams so can wait on this unless someone lese knows the answer.

Apr 8, 2008 2:30pm

Tevslin, it had not been tested on a real BUG, I know there are some issues with it for sure. I know that some of them had to do with the LatLon object and there was just a patch that fixed that defect, but I haven’t tried it since. The GPSAlarmClock/GPSUtilities/LocationList all need some serious work and now that BUGnet lists dependencies I am inclined to do it so that should be coming soon.

Apr 16, 2008 7:03am
Medium Bug Labs team jconnolly 285 posts

kschultz
Tevslin, it had not been tested on a real BUG, I know there are some issues with it for sure. I know that some of them had to do with the LatLon object and there was just a patch that fixed that defect, but I haven't tried it since. The GPSAlarmClock/GPSUtilities/LocationList all need some serious work and now that BUGnet lists dependencies I am inclined to do it so that should be coming soon.

I just took a look at GPSUtilities and it looks like the Import-Package manifest field is missing. It should read

Import-Package: com.buglabs.bug.module.gps.pub

to resolve LatLon.
Apr 17, 2008 10:16pm

John,

Thanks you are right that was the issue, I made the change and re-uploaded it

Kevin

May 8, 2008 8:13pm
Img_missing_medium Tuxinator 6 posts

Any chance of adding information about the GPS for example number of satellites connected /found, signal strength, etc?

I found "com.buglabs.nmea.sentences.GGA" had a lot of these attributes but not 100% sure how to access it via your helper / provider class.

May 8, 2008 11:15pm

Thanks for the suggestion I was looking for things to add to it but I got stuck in a mental rut, I think i’m going to look into meta data type stuff. No promises on the timing, I get back to Bug Labs in about 3 weeks but if I get a chance before then I will see what I can do.

Jun 11, 2008 3:24am
Img_missing_medium bmartinek 22 posts

Hmmmm, so I got my bug in the mail today YAY!

So along this GPS thread I have a couple questions:

I downloaded the GPSlogger program and found a bunch of typos( I think they are at least) of latitude (sp Lattidue and lattitude) I corrected these and sent it up to my bug. I have yet to acquire a location.

any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Jun 11, 2008 6:36am

bmartinek
Hmmmm, so I got my bug in the mail today YAY!

So along this GPS thread I have a couple questions:

I downloaded the GPSlogger program and found a bunch of typos( I think they are at least) of latitude (sp Lattidue and lattitude) I corrected these and sent it up to my bug. I have yet to acquire a location.

any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Hiya Ben, congrats on receiving your Hiro P.

Newer versions of this application correct the spelling problem. It looks like the "Download Latest Version to the SDK" link provided by the app searching functionality in the SDK is pointing to, well, not the latest version. We've recently changed our web back-end regarding application storage, and this may be the reason. I'll have our web team look into it ASAP, and I'm going to open up a bugzilla ticket on this. I'll reply with the details so you can follow along on its progress. :wink:

-John
Jun 11, 2008 10:22am
Img_missing_medium bmartinek 22 posts

Thanks John,

Any thoughts on why it has acquired a location yet? I tried to let it site overnight in my window to see it it would just take a long time and no dice.

Jun 11, 2008 10:31am
Medium Bug Labs team finsprings 268 posts

I definitely uploaded a version with the updated spellings once the SDK itself had been updated. John: let me know if the download-latest thing is working and the typos are still there.

As to getting a signal, I'd suggest getting an external antenna for now - I had the same experience as you with the internal one. I bought this one - http://www.semsons.com/gps90deexboa.html - for $10.99. It has a 90 degree connector; there's an equivalent with a straight-line one too. When I connected that to the bug and used John's SimpleGPSLogger with the switch that lets you toggle which antenna to use, I got a fix in a few minutes.
Jun 11, 2008 10:43am

finsprings
John: let me know if the download-latest thing is working and the typos are still there.

Dave, definitely will.

finsprings
As to getting a signal, I'd suggest getting an external antenna for now - I had the same experience as you with the internal one. I bought this one - http://www.semsons.com/gps90deexboa.html - for $10.99. It has a 90 degree connector; there's an equivalent with a straight-line one too. When I connected that to the bug and used John's SimpleGPSLogger with the switch that lets you toggle which antenna to use, I got a fix in a few minutes.

*whew*, I hate being the harbinger of bad news, but I was going to say the same thing. Unfortunately these early-adopter GPS units are subject to much noise-distortion, which prevents the module from getting a f