BUG Community

Welcome! Log In

Forums Applications Upgrading OLD BUG Kernel

Subscribe to Upgrading OLD BUG Kernel  8 posts, 4 voices

Mar 11, 2009 8:53am
Img_missing_medium Regoli 2 posts

Hi everybody

I just received a BUG for a project and wanted to upgrade the kernel.

I tried to follow the guide to upgrade the BUG kernel [1] but my BUG does not seem to have a kernel module called bug_kflash. That’s why I think I must have a really old kernel, right? My kernel version is 2.6.19.2.

How can I upgrade the kernel from that version, i.e. without having bug_kflash?

Thanks a lot!

[1] see wiki ‘Upgrading BUG Kernel’

Mar 11, 2009 11:37am
Img_missing_medium Regoli 2 posts

Ok, I found help in the IRC channel. Thanks a lot!

For other users who may be interested, the problem was that kflash was not part of the bug kernel in the very, very early releases of the BUG. The solution was to download the bug_kflash kernel module, depmod, then modprobe it. Also needed the kflash userland app to actually execute the kernel flashing. I'm going to update the wiki for all users so it's clear (for R1.1, R1.2, R1.3) for everyone how to get up to speed to R1.4.
Mar 17, 2009 6:07pm
Medium Bug Labs team bballantine 56 posts

Regoli – thanks for posting the answer to your questions!

Sep 24, 2009 12:48pm
User_img_not_found_06_med co149 2 posts

I’m running an old HiroP with 1.0RC2 on it, so I want to make sure I’m clear (and not about to brick the unit…)

Can I just go from 1.0 to 1.3 by grabbing bug_kflash onto the unit and doing the flash (and taking care of the rootfs)?  Do I have to stop at 1.1 and 1.2?  (If so, are there different rootfs images for 1.1 and 1.2?)

I feel like I’ve left myself too far behind… :)

Sep 24, 2009 2:32pm
Medium Bug Labs team jconnolly 285 posts

Hi co149, you’re best off migrating to uboot and just flashing your SD card.  I’ll whip together some steps to get this done and repost shortly.

Sep 24, 2009 3:43pm

I’ve written up a blogpost for you loyal old BUGgers.  I hope this helps.  One thing you may want to consider first though is whether you even have bug_kflash.  Try running

which bug_kflash

first to see if that program is in your rootfs.

http://community.buglabs.net/jconnolly/posts/16…

Sep 24, 2009 4:34pm
User_img_not_found_06_med co149 2 posts

This helps enormously. I’ve been looking at u-boot longingly because I thought I needed a handylink cable to install it. Clearly I don’t. Thanks for the help!

Sep 24, 2009 4:41pm

Well, I’d suggest emailing support@buglabs.net and asking about the handylink cables anyway.  While they’re far from ideal, they are very useful for debugging.

Forums Applications Upgrading OLD BUG Kernel