BUG Community

Welcome! Log In

Forums Applications Closed source applications are prohibited

Subscribe to Closed source applications are prohibited  9 posts, 2 voices

Jan 6, 2009 3:32pm
Img_missing_medium vocaro 7 posts

The BUGbase runs Java applications using phoneME, which is licensed under the GPL. See:

phoneme_dev_java_net/licensing_page.html

This means that all applications that run on the BUGbase must also be GPL-licensed. Closed-source applications are prohibited.

Can anyone at Bug Labs confirm this?

Jan 7, 2009 6:50pm
Medium Bug Labs team kgilmer 215 posts

Hi Vocaro :)

Well, you are free to run any kind of program on your BUG, open or closed. However the GPL restriction prevents someone from distributing BUG with a closed Java application with PhoneME. However, if you wish to do this there are several options, including:

1. Commercial License from SUN
2. Use JamVM or CACAO with GNU Classpath which has classpath exception
3. Soon also use OpenJDK with Classpath Exception

Internally, we have packages available for JamVM and CACAO. While our public package repository is not yet available, I’d be happy to send you either one if you’re interested.

Jan 8, 2009 11:50am

kengilmer
However the GPL restriction prevents someone from distributing BUG with a closed Java application with PhoneME.

Is this mentioned anywhere in the BUG docs or wiki? It should be made explicit. I would imagine many BUG developers are unaware of this restriction and could be violating the GPL.

kengilmer
Use JamVM or CACAO with GNU Classpath which has classpath exception

Yes, this was the option we were considering. But we weren't sure how this would affect integration with the special BUG libraries, such as the Java interfaces to the BUG hardware modules. The documentation available seems to be based entirely around Eclipse and the built-in PhoneME.
Jan 8, 2009 5:06pm

kengilmer
However, if you wish to do this there are several options, including:

1. Commercial License from SUN
2. Use JamVM or CACAO with GNU Classpath which has classpath exception
3. Soon also use OpenJDK with Classpath Exception

Actually, these options don't solve the problem. According to your wiki:

Bug Labs authored code is covered under GPL v3

So, if my application uses any of Bug Labs' Java interfaces for accessing the BUG hardware modules, I will have to open-source my entire application. In other words, the BUG cannot be used in any sort of industrial or enterprise application that requires closed source code.
Jan 8, 2009 5:52pm

Hi Vocaro,

That wiki page was inaccurate and has been fixed by me. However, in verifying this before responding I did find a significant amount of Java OSGi code GPLv2 licensed. The intention was to license this BSD-style, specifically for issues such as those you bring up. This is a mistake and will be corrected in the R1.4 release. All the BUG Java code running on the BUG will be relicensed under the BSD license.

So, in effect, you are correct. The current BUG release (R1.3) does not allow for distributing BUG with GPLv2 incompatible code. Sorry for the confusion. I can assure you though that this again a mistake (my mistake) and not our intention.

Jan 9, 2009 10:17am

kengilmer
This is a mistake and will be corrected in the R1.4 release.

Is there an estimated release date for 1.4?
Jan 9, 2009 5:14pm

We are on RC1.4.1. There will need to be at least one more (so I can change the Java license headers, among other things). Given the way things usually go, I’d say it’s likely we will release before the end of the month.

Jan 12, 2009 1:40pm

Source headers have been changed. For example:

http://svn.buglabs.net/svn/!source/7920/bug/trunk/com.buglabs.common/com/buglabs/application/AbstractServiceTracker.java

I will update this thread when a release is available.

Jan 24, 2009 9:41am

As a followup we now have a publicly available package repository [1]. Currently CACAO (and GNU Classpath) is available as a package for BUG that contains the Classpath Exception. Expect JamVM and OpenJDK to join it soon. Also, RC1.4.1 [2] contains updated BSD-style license headers.

http://repository.buglabs.net/
[2]: http://bugcommunity.com/downloads/files/r1.4/
Forums Applications Closed source applications are prohibited