BUG Community

Welcome! Log In

Forums Applications Can i run Android on the BUGbase?

Subscribe to Can i run Android on the BUGbase?  13 posts, 8 voices

Feb 4, 2008 1:49am
Img_missing_medium whaleforest 7 posts

i know BUGbase use Linux,and Android is Linux too?

so,can i run Android on the BUGbase?so Bugbase is a Android PDA. :shock:

Feb 4, 2008 11:05am
Medium Bug Labs team kschultz 107 posts

Whaleforest,

A lot of people have been asking that question (including myself). The hardware for both is based on the ARM architecture, and both are based on the Linux kernel, so putting Android on the BUG will be a lot easier than hacking a propriety phone. One thing I know about the free software community, is that if enough people want something badly it gets done. A lot of people are going to want to run Android on the BUG, so I bet as soon as the BUG gets out there, people are going to do it, hopefully they will come back to the forums and post how-tos. I am sure it will be done, but I don’t see any advantage that would drive me to do it right away.

There are a few snags:
1) The BUG will not have a cell phone antenna at launch, so at first calls and texts would not work out, but PDA style apps would
2) We are using Java PhoneME Advanced, Android is Java SE so they have different .jars, so an Android app wouldn’t drop right into the BUG without either some recoding to use the PhoneME libraries, or dragging the missing .jars in which would make it heavy.
3) I think Google reinvented the wheel on GUIs for Android, I’m not sure, but they don’t seem to use AWT, SWT, Swing, GTK+, or Qt. I’m not really sure on that since I have only made really simple apps with Android, but that will be an issue.
3) The OSGi stuff. One of the coolest thing about the BUG is that it takes care of all the module interfaces for you. Your program needs a GPS, so it needs the IPositionProvider interface. That service can be provided by the GPS module, by a GPS emulator, maybe someday a software GPS based on cell phone towers will be made using a cell module, or someday the GPS will get put on a module with something else to save space, but to your program it doesn’t matter, the OSGi takes care of all of this behind the scenes. To you the application writer, all you need to do is ask for a IPositionProvider. That is a fundamental part of how we approach designing stuff. At first one module will be providing each service so it is simple, but down the line as there are many modules and more versions of the BUGbase, how do you handle all the different providers of services? How about the different versions of the base? All of this is handled by the BUG stack in a way that Android would never have to because it is the same phone from day 1 until the day you throw it out. If you leave the BUG stack, you lose all of this infrastructure the guys here created to simplify all the way down to "getService(IPositionProvider)" when you are writing a GPS app.

So you could get the BUG, and put the Android stack on it rather than the Bug Labs stack of software, it shouldn’t be too difficult, you would miss some functionality at first, but that will get fixed over time.

However , you won’t get the cool OSGi stuff to handle modules getting put in and taken out like our stack handles because Android isn’t designed for a changing device. I guess if the Android community has a lot of apps you wanted to bring in, that would make it worth it. But I think our community is going to be making a lot of interesting apps because they have access to hardware like the motion detector and that an Android phone never will. Run of the mill PDA apps are needed on both, but if its a choice between that sweet contact list on Android or the ho-hum contact list that someone made for BUG, I would rather just refactor the Android one than throw out the BUG stack and lose all the server tracker stuff, open source licenses in action!

In the end who knows what will happen, as soon as the hardware gets out there and the community can start hacking with them, it will evolve in ways we can’t predict. Android will probably change over time, as far as I can tell they are much further away from launching hardware for it than we are. So people are going to be hacking it to go on on locked phones, that is a lot more difficult than getting it onto an open source device like the BUG. I hope that ultimately the two will get closer together so its not a BUG stack OR Android stack, but that the two are interchangeable. There will be BUG apps that can’t run on Android phones, but if all the core PDA and cell phone apps of Android could run on BUG, that would be cool. It kind of reminds me the freedesktop.org stuff where they are trying to unify KDE and GNOME and all the others to be compatible, that is how many years after they started? Android and OpenMoko and BUG are the harbringers of the opening up of consumer electronics, who knows what will happen as things evolve, and that is the really cool part of open source.

So in the end I guess my answer is, I have no idea, but technically it is possible so Android will likely run on the BUG base in the future but no one has tried it out yet.

Feb 7, 2008 1:48pm
Medium Bug Labs team kgilmer 215 posts

Couldn’t have said it better myself Kevin…good post. In summary the BUGbase as a hardware platform should in theory support the Andriod OS. The notion of modular hardware and services, to my (limited) knowledge does not play into the Andriod platform, and as such that type of functionality would not be available via an Andriod’ed BUG.

Feb 9, 2008 9:21am
Img_missing_medium whaleforest 7 posts

Thank you,Kevin! :lol:
and thank you too,Ken. :wink:

I will waiting for my own BUG anyway,then i will try it out…

Feb 12, 2008 8:30pm
Img_missing_medium bayswim 2 posts

Thanks for the explanation. What about a way of virtualizing the Andriod "machine" within the Bug?

Feb 13, 2008 9:54am
Medium Bug Labs team kgilmer 215 posts

Hi Bayswim,

That may be possible. Resources may be an issue and I’m not aware of any ARM-based virtualization software. Another suitable approach may be to just run the Dalvik (?) VM and class libraries alongside of PhoneME.

Feb 20, 2008 1:29pm
Medium Bug Labs team kschultz 107 posts

Here is an interesting article about OSGi vs Android:

http://www.adon-line.de/kunden/prosystBlog/?p=18

Oct 3, 2012 2:40am
User_img_not_found_02_med wunai 103 posts

Thanks to the answers was possible to Tods shoes evaluate the intensity of use and the question of the distinction in purchasing. Women need a bag to carry their belongings, that’s for sure. Leather bags, women nowTods UK  have the flexibility and class beyond what I ever thought. The serious fashion lovers will love the leather bags thanks to its versatility, high quality and elegant style. With brands like Tod tods women shoes, Cole Haan,Tods Outlet   Rebecca Minkoff, among many others, is nothing but leather bags and upscale beyond amazing. Hogan shoes outlet The design is based on a conceptLouis Vuitton UK of minimal interference between your feet and the floor.

Oct 24, 2012 1:11am
User_img_not_found_01_med qazqazqaz 469 posts

As a perfect combination of classic and modern fashion,Coach Outlet Online Julia Bags can show the customers'unique personality.Tiffany UK grabbed the globe, stands out as the celeb on their favorite stars luxury type, granted an innovative simple move the pavement luxury, complete with luxury.In terms of the quality and superior design that make more and more customers are satisfied to Coach Factory Online.Welcome!hat experts claim Coach Outlet Online shopping is in the changes they are available in.As long as you open our Coach Factory Outlet webpage, you will view various Coach New Arrivals which are the most popular also the most fashionable in this year.On the date when the Louis Vuitton UK on sale, all people will pour into the stores. At this time, it on the booths will be wiped out, and only one or two days the seller will declare that there is no stock anymore.

Oct 24, 2012 3:49am
User_img_not_found_01_med qazqazqaz 469 posts

Remember that the right accessories can enhance your alluring look with your Canada Goose Parkas Outlet.Baggy, ovoid shaped Canada Goose Jackets Outlet that are rounded around the shoulders look fabulous and can be a perfect match for you.This excellent conviction so that you class gets to amateur Canada Goose Outlet In a number of Parka, for example Young Canada Goose affordable Cardigan.Luxury has always been synonymous with fur and leather and this year a faux fur Canada Goose Jackets Outlet will surely be the key piece of your wardrobe.

Nov 2, 2012 2:00am
User_img_not_found_06_med reliables 6 posts

That may be possible. Resources may be an issue and I’m not aware of any ARM-based
virtualization software. Another suitable approach may be to just run
the Dalvik (?) VM and class libraries alongside of PhoneME.

Nov 6, 2012 10:59pm
User_img_not_found_06_med luoqi 117 posts

cheap designer
handbags

is reframing the problem and getting medical treatment,” Kafka
Dr. Allen Frances, professor emeritus of psychiatry and behavioral sciences
sciences replica designer
handbags
sciences at Duke University in Durham, N.C., said the
proposal “a really stupid idea” that might lead those who misbehave misbehave

cheap jordan
shoes

misbehave to cry, ‘It’s not my fault.’”“There may be some small
percentage of people who could qualify for addiction to to cheap replica designer
handbags
to sex, but if it ever became a diagnosis, it be wildly
misapplied,” he said.”Addiction implies that you keep doing doing cheap authentic air
jordans
doing it when there is no more pleasure and it harm. It
becomes an excuse to misbehave.”Frances, who worked on on cheap replica handbags on
the DSM-4, argues that too many “normal behaviors” have viewed as
illness.”Medicalizing this sort of misbehavior is reducing personal personal

discount designer
handbags

personal responsibility and acting like there is a medical
solution,” said. “There is very little scientific evidence and the boundaries
boundaries

designer replica
handbags

boundaries are fuzzy.”Kafka admits that there is more clinical
than data on sexual hyperactivity, but including it as a disorder disorder replica designer handbags
disorder in the DSM-5 will open doors to that kind research.”By calling it an
illness, you could be quite relieved relieved replica designer handbags
relieved that for something you have not really been able control on your own,
help is available,” he said.Candy admitted admitted

cheap authentic air
jordans

admitted that he needs help, as he fought back tears his
story.After reading the proposed DSM criteria for hypersexuality disorder,
disorder,

cheap designer
handbags

disorder, he said, “It describes me to an absolute T,” that
people would be less judgmental if his behavior is is replica designer handbags is
defined as a mental disorder.A disabled vet with a injury, Candy retired two
years ago. His wife of 32 32 authentic jordans 32
years works to support them, and so he is for raising their two youngest
children, ages 6 and 8. 8.

Jan 27, 2013 8:47pm
User_img_not_found_06_med luoqi 117 posts

hermes birkin
purse

demand for his deportation, McAfee fell ill. The mysterious
illness, by his attorney alternately as a heart ailment or a a

replica hermes
handbags

a nervous breakdown, led to a scene with reporters chasing
ambulance down the narrow streets of Guatemala City and right right

cheap polo
shirts

right into the emergency room, where McAfee appeared
unresponsive.He now it was all a ruse: “It was a deception but but cheap polo shirts but who
did it hurt? I look pretty healthy, don’t says he faked the illness in order to
buy some some

cheap Ralph
Lauren

some time for a judge to hear his case and his deportation to
Belize, a government he believes wants him him cheap replica designer
handbags
him dead. When asked whether he believes Belize officials where
he didn’t mince words.”I was on the run with a a cheap Ralph Lauren a
20-year-old girl for three and a half weeks inside borders and everyone was
looking for me, and they did did

hermes sample
sale

did not catch me,” he said. “I escaped, was captured they tried to
send me back. Now I’m sitting in in cheap replica designer
handbags
in Miami. There had to be some ineptness.”The man who
believe only wants attention answered critics who called his month-long
month-long cheap polo Ralph
Lauren
month-long odyssey and blog posts a publicity stunt by simply
“What’s a better story, millionaire mad man on the run. run. replica designer handbags
run. You [the media] saved my ass. Because you paid to the story. As long as you
are reporting, it it cheap
polo shirts
it is hard to whack somebody that the world is denies any
involvement in his neighbor’s death but adds that that replica designer handbags
that he is not particularly concerned about clearing his name. is focused on
getting his 20-year-old and 17-year-old girlfriends out out hermes sample sale out of
Belize and says he has no idea what do next, where he’ll live or how he’ll
support himself.Click himself.Click cheap designer handbags
himself.Click Here for the Blotter Homepage. Best Friends Paralyzed Little Than
Two Years ApartAlan T. Brown, In Wheelchair for 25 25

hermes sample
sale

25 Years, Launches ‘Power of We’ To Find CureBy SUSAN JAMESDec.,
13, 2012— Alan Brown had just wrapped up a a

hermes birkin
purse

Forums Applications Can i run Android on the BUGbase?