BUG Community

Welcome! Log In

Forums BUG SDK Your Dream Language

Subscribe to Your Dream Language  5 posts, 5 voices

Jan 20, 2008 1:00am
Medium Bug Labs team kgilmer 215 posts

Given a perfect world and ignoring things like memory size and constrained environments, what would your ideal application language be?

Jan 24, 2008 3:57pm
Medium Bug Labs team kschultz 107 posts

For me, Python because a lot of schools are starting to use it as their "first" language. It would be fun for new programmers to tie in Python with a BUG to see that programming is bigger than PCs.

Jan 24, 2008 5:03pm
Img_missing_medium myaliasisr... 15 posts

Hi,
I gave up java a year ago for my personal projects for python, so my interest is purely sefish :) Python!

Jan 25, 2008 7:29am
Img_missing_medium RobbieThe1st 4 posts

Well, I have never played with Python, I consider its need for ‘proper’ spacing and alignment limiting.

I haven’t really done a lot with Java, however, I am familiar with <acronym title="although it wouldn’t be appropriate in this scenario, it does have more or less the same types of expressions">PHP</acronym>, and JavaScript, so I figure programming in Java is probably the best bet here. C/C++ would be my next option I figure.
I have done a bit of Basic programming(Parallax Basic Stamp 2), but I found it quite limiting and VERY annoying, as you might imagine.

-RobbieThe1st

Jan 26, 2008 12:33am
Medium Bug Labs team finsprings 268 posts

I use C+ day in, day out, at work, and I love it. I enjoy Java too but, like C+, it’s probably a bit heavyweight for a lot of the things people would want to do with the bug. I think Python is probably the most accessible language you could make available for general purpose tinkering.

If you don’t want as big a runtime as Python you could consider LUA. It’s tiny and is surprisingly powerful. It’s often found embedded in other applications, so you could conceivably provide an OSGI module that exposes the bug interfaces to a LUA engine running inside it and let people write LUA scripts to live in that engine.

Forums BUG SDK Your Dream Language