BUG Community

Welcome! Log In

Forums BUG SDK OS-level development for the Bug

Subscribe to OS-level development for the Bug  10 posts, 3 voices

Mar 12, 2008 9:55pm
Medium Bug Labs team finsprings 268 posts

As the ship date is getting close for the Hiro P (yay :-)), can you guys provide some thoughts on how you foresee community-based OS-level development going for the Bug?

People are likely to want to port or create drivers for USB, vonHippel and other port-connected devices, which of course is not possible at the Dragonfly level. To develop a driver though, you need the kernel headers, cross-compiler tool chain and so forth. Are there any plans to post this sort of information on the wiki or elsewhere (or is it out there and I’m not seeing it)?

Cheers,
Dave

Mar 22, 2008 1:49am
Medium Bug Labs team kgilmer 215 posts

Dave,

Great question :). Sorry for my late response. All driver development can be done with our LTIB build system with additional BUG specific kernel patches. We will release this build system via our public CVS server shortly, and begin with some basic docs on how to build the base root filesystem. In terms of user-created drivers and low-level modifications, we are certainly very interested in getting this to other people. We are working on a contributor program now so that people like yourself can contribute this work (if you want to) back to us for inclusion in a future release.

Mar 22, 2008 1:57am

Sounds great Ken, thanks for the reply. I can see it being pretty handy to wrap drivers for common peripherals (at least USB, and perhaps on vonHippel once we find out what ports are on the vonHippel), via JNI, into modules that standard Bug applications can grab the interfaces for and use like the existing modules.

Mar 26, 2008 6:27pm
Medium Bug Labs team mcaric 64 posts

Hi finsprings,

We’ve got the specs for the vonHippel module up on the wiki if you’re interested in giving them a look, they can be found here:

http://bugcommunity.com/wiki/index.php/VonHippe…

Thanks!
Melinda

Mar 26, 2008 7:32pm

Thanks Melinda, it looks great!

Do you know if there are plans to expose any of those ports to Bugnet applications via an OSGi module interface?

Mar 27, 2008 12:48pm

Dave,

Yes, there will be a JNI and OSGi service interface to this module.

Mar 27, 2008 1:36pm

Way cool Ken, thanks!

Apr 14, 2008 11:56pm

Any update on getting the build system in SVN? I pulled today and don’t see anything in trunk, or anything obviously related by name in the branches.

Cheers,
Dave

Apr 15, 2008 8:48am

Dave,

Yes :). Sorry this has taken so long. We’re moving colocation centers and bringing up a new SCR server. It seems there are some strange open issues with 64-bit linux and CVS in Gentoo. Please be patient for this server to come up, hopefully this week. Also, I can provide source tarballs to anyone that is interested, just email me at ken at buglabs.net.

Apr 15, 2008 9:39am

No worries. I was just making sure that I wasn’t just missing it.

Forums BUG SDK OS-level development for the Bug